50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Hood Choice – Finial Say

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 01:29 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Tap Recycling and they would be able to provide us with a hood and possibly 2 more buyers. The problem would be the price. $250 + $150 (Shipping) = $400. So if we had 6 buyers it would be an extra $67. There has to be one located on the East coast, so I’ll keep looking for the next couple days.
Old 09-23-02, 04:55 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

I know where there is a hood will call the person and see if i can get adeal on it ,i am on the east coast.
Old 09-24-02, 12:31 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Are you guys sure both of these hoods can clear the 1UZ-FE?

How about water invading the engine compartment during rain?

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 09-24-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-24-02, 02:24 AM
EvoTuned
Driver

Yes, both the styles will clear the SC4. Also if we end up going with the BN Sports T&E style, the vent will have less depth then what appears in the pics. As for rain, I'm working to have pieces of sheet metal made (which can be painted) to put in the vents for those weeks of downpours.

Where are the SC moderators!!? Ok, let me try going another step up the ladder. Maybe people just don’t check their PM’s that often?
Old 09-25-02, 01:51 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

The salvage yard I was dealing with contacted me today and said they couldn’t locate one.
Dewsc300 any luck finding one? I’m not about to give up. It looks like to add the T&E we’ll have to start a new post but I really don't want to have to go through this a 3rd time. Also the comments about that style have really died down. So, I guess we’re going with one of these 2 styles. I’ll keep everyone updated.
Old 09-25-02, 02:49 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by EvoTuned
The salvage yard I was dealing with contacted me today and said they couldn’t locate one.
Dewsc300 any luck finding one? I’m not about to give up. It looks like to add the T&E we’ll have to start a new post but I really don't want to have to go through this a 3rd time. Also the comments about that style have really died down. So, I guess we’re going with one of these 2 styles. I’ll keep everyone updated.
The comments about the T&E style have died down because people were waiting for the option to vote for it. The T&E and the Veilside were to the most popular hoods in the last poll so why was the T&E left out of this poll?
Old 09-30-02, 11:57 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AzLex
The comments about the T&E style have died down because people were waiting for the option to vote for it. The T&E and the Veilside were to the most popular hoods in the last poll so why was the T&E left out of this poll?
read my reply on the first page of this thread
Old 09-30-02, 10:35 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I know it’s been a little while since the last update but I’m still working on it. I spoke with the designer and he said maybe we could find a style that would satisfy most people. What we thought was taking the main vent style from the Veilside and making it have the same width as the T&E but NOT THE DEPTH. This would be the only vent and honestly I like this idea. It doesn’t look like I’m going to find another hood for the mold on the East Coast so I guess we’ll get it from CA. I’ll call Tap Recycling tomorrow and try to work out a deal. I’ll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-01-02, 03:14 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by EvoTuned
I know it’s been a little while since the last update but I’m still working on it. I spoke with the designer and he said maybe we could find a style that would satisfy most people. What we thought was taking the main vent style from the Veilside and making it have the same width as the T&E but NOT THE DEPTH. This would be the only vent and honestly I like this idea. It doesn’t look like I’m going to find another hood for the mold on the East Coast so I guess we’ll get it from CA. I’ll call Tap Recycling tomorrow and try to work out a deal. I’ll keep you guys updated.
The single vent idea sounds good. Good luck in finding a hood. Once that's found you can start the group buy?
Old 10-02-02, 09:41 AM
JDMJim
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up "blue" include

I'll take one please!
Old 10-09-02, 01:24 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I've got some free time this weekend to work on the GB. The votes are 50/50 so I'll probably just have the designer decide. The styles are fairly similar so I think we’ll have enough buyers for either one. I do have a hood lined up now but it’s still not the best price. If I don’t find another very soon, I’ll start the GB with the price set for this one.
Old 10-09-02, 05:17 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to need to get in on this if it all works out, because I need to vent the engine bay heat from the turbo.
Old 10-09-02, 07:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey just, some just FYI re the hood and CF doors...I was talking to one of buddies that's a CF and FRP manufacturer (he makes hoods and other parts) and after having a long talk with him, I'm not going to get in the deal.

One of the major things is that you don't save much weight...at least not enough to make any sort of difference unless you plan on gutting the entire car...

Also, as some of you know, you can't use the hood shocks so therefore, you have a to carry around a stick to prop the hood up. Also, you might need hoodpins for extra security...it would suck to have the hood fly off on the freeway and hit a nice new S600 behind you...guess who's insurance will have to pay for that?

All this to get some vents that don't really do much? Dunno about that...

There is a way to build a CF/FRP hood with a steel frame but the cost would make most of you pass out.

I also found out about the door...it's obviously doable...but if you want all your inside doorpanel (you know, the one with the window controls and whatnot), it's going to cost more than a set of good wheels...I also ask about replacing the skin of the door...heheh...labor intensive...basically, not worth it.

Basically what it came down to is that there is NO CHEAP way to get anything that worth a *****. The quantity isn't there to drive the price down. I could bring to market some high quality CF hoods (100% CF, not a CF/FRP combo) for around the same price as this FRP hood...but I'd have to buy 120 of them.

I don't want to poo-poo on this stuff because I would love to have a nice dry carbon hood that works with the factory shocks and no hood pins in addition to have CF doors that retain the factory functions/interior but unless you're ready to shell out tons of money, it's not realistic.

Just know what you guys are getting yourself into...for me, saving a couple of pounds on a 3700 pound car to get a couple of vents and then to have to deal with the hood stick and hood pins...eh, no thanks...
Old 10-09-02, 11:57 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Well put but I think most people (atleat me) want a CF hood w/vent just for looks. Hey if it lets out some heat all the better. Just my 2 cents

-Steve
Old 10-10-02, 12:25 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I want a carbon fiber hood to lighten my car a bit. However, if the only one that ever gets made has vents and makes me look like a rice boy I will just keep my stock 78 lbs hood.

-Ethan

Quick Reply: Hood Choice – Finial Say