SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Advice on How to Buy Used SC400!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 08:44 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on How to Buy Used SC400!

I have never bought a used car and have no clue!! However... I found what looks like could be my dream SC400!! I've admired this car for years, and I'd hate to let this one get away.

I know Lexus says not to use CarFax to check out a car. What is recommended when having a car checked out? How do I even have the car checked out myself before buying it? Do I have the seller take it to a mechanic (and I pay of course)? Is a VHR enough?? I just don't want to be scammed.

Also, is it not wise to buy a car out of state? I have a list of what I need to do to transfer title for my state. It looks like I would just need to get the title from the seller and a couple other pieces of paperwork.

Is there a checklist somewhere or a website that says exactly how to do all this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you for reading!

Edit: For anyone else coming across this and looking for help with buying a used car, you might consider checking out Edmund's 10 Steps to Buying a Used Car. Also, here are some issues to look at concerning the different years: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-300-400-2.htm

Last edited by CloudNine7; 08-05-11 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 08:57 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...your-help.html

btw where in tx do you live in?

also i wouldn't suggest buying a car out of state unless you're willing to drive there to check it out. You never know what kinda scams are out there.
Old 07-30-11, 09:30 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Thank you for your help! This car is a '97, ~160,000 miles, was recently tuned up, looks well taken care of and is $6200. Seems the clean, well-taken '97+ all go around 8K, so this seems like a good deal.

Last edited by CloudNine7; 08-01-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 09:48 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Good luck, maybe you can get the guy to lower it even more.
Old 07-30-11, 10:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html
Old 07-30-11, 11:12 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

well you defiantly wanna make sure it would pass a out of province inspection, i would do every test you possibly could, id rather pay the money to get the tests done then buy a money pit.
Old 07-30-11, 11:24 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

I appreciate everyone's help! O.L.T..... that's a great thread.... and I've got to agree!!! Luxury car or not, I defintely don't want an SC400 that's been beat up and abused.

So... I'm making a check list of things to look out for:
  • * Maintenance Records
  • * What type of oil has been used?
  • * Type of tires? (I like Michelin)
  • * Any alterations done?
  • * Check suspension - stable at 60mph?
  • * Windows working?
  • * Last timing belt service
  • * AC/heating working?
  • * Popping hinges?
  • * Power seats/locks working?
  • * Headlight condensation
Any biggies I'm leaving out?

One question that comes to mind... the outside of the door frame, the part that is in the middle of the two windows, looks really faded. Is this really expensive to get back to looking like new? As is, it definitely looks worn.

Last edited by CloudNine7; 07-30-11 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 12:30 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

well im sure this isn't very common, but id get all the wiring checked man. for f's sake i bought mine, drove it for a year, got some parts on her, took it to a shop to do the turbo timer, and there is a rats nest of wiring behind there, shop owner said it could easily cuase a fire, he spent 11 hours gettin the damn thing worked out, but he only charged me for 3!!! i got lucky. but literally check EVERYTHING. becuase if i dident have a great shop, with wonderful employes, i would be out 1100. and that kills when your in high school like myself.
Old 07-31-11, 12:47 AM
xsaint53
Rookie

Read the thread that BigBang linked to. I bought a 95 SC400 in July '08, body wise looks great, but I've put a lot of $$ into it fixing and getting in better running condition. Car had 175 K on it and bought it fro $4500. It now has 208K on it. So far--besides standard stuff likes tires and oil changes, I've done the following:
New Radiator
New Water pump
New timing belt
New serpentine Belt
New spark plugs and wires
New alternator
Replace all the rotors and calipers-- and pads
New struts and shocks
Most recently: Replace rack and pinion, power steering pump, both hoses ($260 for both), sway bar bushings and links.
I WISH I had known about this site and these forums before I bought my SC
, I love the car but I've spent about $4-5K in repairs--- I'm NOT a mechanic, so I paid a local shop that gives me great rates to do the work, I shop around for the parts.
But unless you're a mechanic-- like many on this forum are--- the car is not cheap if you want it to run like it should and keep it looking good.

Last edited by xsaint53; 07-31-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 12:49 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

yes, agreed with the fellow above me. this site is pretty much a sc bible. unbelievably helpful.
Old 07-31-11, 12:52 AM
xsaint53
Rookie

This site is an incredible resource. The guys on here are EXTREMELY knowledgeable.
Old 07-31-11, 12:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by CloudNine7
One question that comes to mind... the outside of the door frame, the part that is in the middle of the two windows, looks really faded. Is this really expensive to get back to looking like new? As is, it definitely looks worn.
Search "pillar"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...the-doors.html

Most popular way is strip and polish. More threads if you look.
Old 07-31-11, 12:55 AM
xsaint53
Rookie

I'd check around your area and see if there are any mechanics that are familiar with Lexus and see if they will either come with you to inspect the vehicle OR ask the owner to come with you and take it to a shop to get the car checked out. It might cost you anywhere from $50-100 for an inspection, but it will be money well spent. IF the car is in good shape the owner will have no problem- especially if you have "cash in hand" ready to buy if it all checks out.
Old 07-31-11, 12:44 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Thank you everyone!! I have spent quite a bit of time the past few days looking over the boards and will definitely continue, as I do agree they're a great resource. I'm just a girl who knows nothing about cars other than that she's always loved the SC400. Happy to have everyone's help here, and I appreciate the tips on what to have checked out and how to do it.

O.L.T.,
Thanks for giving me the term pillar to search for! Had no idea what it was called!! haha

Update: I think I'm going to wait until I find a car in my area, even though it might take a while. With getting the car checked out by a mechanic, the title work at the courthouse, etc., I think it might be a little complicated trying to do all that while out of town - especially since this is my first time buying my own car.

Last edited by CloudNine7; 07-31-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 02:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

If you're gonna spend "real money" (above $4000) for an old SC300/400 then do your homework and expect to find something worth having. If you are going to buy a cheaper one $2500-ish range, then don't break your neck buying one. Put some cash on it and roll the dice.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on How to Buy Used SC400!