SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 Sc400 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 10:44 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Sc400 Transmission

I just bought my 92 SC400. My friend's mom didn't change the transmission fluid while she had it (3 months). It's pretty dark, I'm dropping the pan and changing the filter tomorrow. I'm only draining the 2-3 quarts that leaks out when you do that and then putting the pan back on because it's been strongly recommended to me that older model SC400s especially with high mileage (205K) and neglected transmission fluid should be gradually introduced to the new fluid, so I'm just going to change the filter and 2-3 quarts with every oil change for a while from now on. Neither of us knew the owner previous to us, the car was bought at an auction. We don't know what kind of transmission fluid that was used last time. I know that mixing types is really bad. Blah. I'm just going to add a few quarts of the good old Toyota T-IV from the dealership. Everything should be okay. I wont forget to clean the magnet either. Should pop or screw right off. Thoughts, concerns, and wishes of luck are appreciated.
Old 08-03-11, 05:40 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, No, No. When you do an oil change do you only drain out half the oil? Well that's what will happen if you don't flush the fluid still inside the transmission. As the fluid ages it picks up metal particles from regular wear. Some get trapped in the filter and the magnets but some does not. Well those particles turn the fluid abrasive. Not removing all the fluid is a very bad idea because those particles will remain.

A nice guide for you.
http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html
Old 08-03-11, 11:40 AM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I would do it the way you're doing it. I would not flush fluid in an older vehicle with unknown maintenance history. My Sc's fluid had been neglected and started skipping gears randomly. It made a huge difference changing the old fluid. The car shifts like new. Just make sure you clean the pan/magnets out really good.
Old 08-03-11, 01:34 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by account2x
No, No, No. When you do an oil change do you only drain out half the oil? Well that's what will happen if you don't flush the fluid still inside the transmission. As the fluid ages it picks up metal particles from regular wear. Some get trapped in the filter and the magnets but some does not. Well those particles turn the fluid abrasive. Not removing all the fluid is a very bad idea because those particles will remain.

A nice guide for you.
http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html
Here's what I'm going to do - I'm not automatically discounting your judgment, I actually wholeheartedly agree with you, but my circumstances are limited. I know it's important to get rid of all the fluid, but I have places I need to go, and can only afford 4 quarts (basically half) and the new filter and gasket. I don't get paid for another three weeks, so in that time I'll be driving the car with a new filter and half new fluid, the real stuff, the good stuff, Toyota T-IV. When I get paid, I'm changing the gasket and filter again and changing all of the fluid because I'll be able to afford the full nine quarts. It seems like a waste, but changing only half for now can only improve performance if done correctly. I'll do the full change when I can which will be very soon. I've already dropped the pan, scrubbed the grime out of it with warm water and soap until it was squeaky clean, rinsed all the soap residue off very well, let it dry, cleaned the magnets, and took off the filter. I'm doing everything else tomorrow.
Old 08-03-11, 01:43 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you got a plan man. im no wizard on auto but the other fella backed your story so rock on dude and let us know how it feels afterwards
Old 08-03-11, 03:00 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Yes, I would do it the way you're doing it. I would not flush fluid in an older vehicle with unknown maintenance history. My Sc's fluid had been neglected and started skipping gears randomly. It made a huge difference changing the old fluid. The car shifts like new. Just make sure you clean the pan/magnets out really good.
Thank you. I think you and the person who made the previous post and disagreed with me are both equally correct. There was just a slight misunderstanding in the beginning. Older cars with high mileage and neglected maintenance are much more sensitive to flushes (as well as everything else for that matter) and are popularly introduced to the new fluid slowly. However, in the other member's defense, a full exchange must be done eventually, and a partial job is no substitute for preparing your car for the next 10,000 miles (that's how often I changed the transmission fluid in my 03 Focus, and I don't believe I'll ever wait longer than that on any other car, although I don't plan to ever own any other car for the rest of my life and want to keep my 92 SC400 forever).

Yes, I will clean the magnets well, using a scouring pad on the pan itself worked well on the residue, but I spent many paranoid hours rinsing and wiping it as small metal particles of the scouring pad inevitably fell off. I slid the magnets across the pan periodically as a way to check for unseen leftovers and religiously rinsed the dipstick tunnel.
Old 08-03-11, 03:07 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by addisonblc
sounds like you got a plan man. im no wizard on auto but the other fella backed your story so rock on dude and let us know how it feels afterwards
Absolutely! I'm very excited about it. The shifting has been rough. I'm flattered you're interested in the outcome. It may take longer than I expected to get a hold of the parts though, I already ordered them for pick up from Autozone but will not be able to purchase them until Friday (filter and gasket combo-$28.00 including tax, gasket sealant-$5.99 + tax).

I will most certainly post the results immediately on this same thread. I strongly anticipate a dramatic increase in performance but will report back with honesty. If the performance doesn't noticeably increase I'll assume the solenoids need to be replaced. We shall see soon enough, most likely this Friday.
Old 08-03-11, 03:18 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what kind of stuff you learned on the Focus Forums but changing out the fluid doesn't provide you any performance gains. It's about prolonging transmission life. Possibly smoother sifting but that's about it.

Transmission fluid is good for 60-90k miles, I have no idea who would recommend this 10,000 change, possibly the same person that recommends leaving half the bad fluid inside?
Old 08-03-11, 03:37 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by account2x
I don't know what kind of stuff you learned on the Focus Forums but changing out the fluid doesn't provide you any performance gains. It's about prolonging transmission life. Possibly smoother sifting but that's about it.

Transmission fluid is good for 60-90k miles, I have no idea who would recommend this 10,000 change, possibly the same person that recommends leaving half the bad fluid inside?
You are correct sir. It is about prolonging transmission life. That was partially my point. I never even hinted at the possibility that changing it that frequently would or could increase performance on any vehicle. I've never met anyone as paranoid as me, not enough to recommend doing it my way. I simply choose to do it and it does nothing but good for the transmission.

I already positively referred to your original post on this thread and complimented it's accuracy. However there is no harm in changing my transmission fluid every 10,000 miles. And I already stated that the reason I am only changing half for now is because it's all I can afford, I must use my vehicle in the mean time, and I'll be doing a proper full change in three weeks.

Please read my post referring to your post to reassure yourself that we actually don't disagree with each other.