SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

O'Reilly Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 09:30 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
... or just put distilled water in it. with the coolant that's in the system already, it'll be fine, unless you live in a climate that will drop below freezing before you can get a coolant flush done.
You really think it will be good as a daily driver as long as I put in those other new parts but just add distilled water to the already low coolant as long as it's just for these next three weeks? That would be nice if it worked, it would give me just the right amount of slack. Do you have experience driving short spans of time on a car with overly diluted coolant? It sound like it shouldn't be a big deal... it's just three weeks...
Old 08-03-11, 09:32 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Coolant is pretty much there to lubricate your water pump and prevent the car's water from freezing.

The water is actually what absorbs the heat the most. If you can run a 70/30 [70% Water / 30% Coolant] with what you've got now you'll be fine until flushing it.
Old 08-03-11, 09:34 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I'll send you $10 via PayPal to help out your budget if you want it for the Coolant.
Hahahahaha no, no, no, you guys are so awesome. Never have I seen such trust and generosity. But, such is Toyota I believe.

No, I think the slightly overly diluted coolant should do fine for these three weeks, besides, I don't have a paypal account.

Thank you so much though!!!
Old 08-03-11, 09:35 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do distilled water till you get some more money. Just make sure to keep your eye on your temp gauge.
Old 08-03-11, 09:38 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

We have all needed a little help at one point or another...somewhere along the lines humanity has lost the sight of helping one another and now only concentrates on self fulfillment.
Old 08-03-11, 09:39 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Coolant is pretty much there to lubricate your water pump and prevent the car's water from freezing.

The water is actually what absorbs the heat the most. If you can run a 70/30 [70% Water / 30% Coolant] with what you've got now you'll be fine until flushing it.
Hehe, I've seen a lot of stuff happen before, don't worry, if something happens to the car I'm not gonna come crying to you screaming "but you promised it would work! *sniff* *sob*", I've seen it happen.

Yeah, I'll give it a shot, it should be fine, gotta get that flush next thing first though.
Old 08-03-11, 09:43 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300jz
You can do distilled water till you get some more money. Just make sure to keep your eye on your temp gauge.
Heck yes - oh, the popularly under looked temp gauge. I'll keep a sharp eye out.
Old 08-03-11, 09:46 PM
copermn
Rookie

oh yeah, it should def be fine with just distilled water. My dad runs just water in his 1991 Mustang with a 460 as his drag car. It runs at about 180-190 temperature and E85 with a carb, so I'm sure you'll be fine with that mix.

Sorry bout ur situation man, wish I could help out somehow :/
Old 08-03-11, 09:47 PM
Gate
Pole Position

We have all needed a little help at one point or another...somewhere along the lines humanity has lost the sight of helping one another and now only concentrates on self fulfillment.
I shall impersonate a man. His name is Alonso Quijana, a country squire no longer young. Being retired, he has much time for books. He studies them from morn till night and often through the night and morn again, and all he reads oppresses him; fills him with indignation at man's murderous ways toward man. He ponders the problem of how to make better a world where evil brings profit and virtue none at all; where fraud and deceit are mingled with truth and sincerity. He broods and broods and broods and broods and finally his brains dry up. He lays down the melancholy burden of sanity and conceives the strangest project ever imagined---to become a knight-errant, and sally forth into the world in search of adventures; to mount a crusade; to raise up the weak and those in need. No longer will he be plain Alonso Quijana, but a dauntless knight known as Don Quixote de La Mancha!"
Old 08-03-11, 09:51 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an SC400 alternator, Temecula is pretty far but It'll cost you less to come here and pick it up. Use the money you save to go buy the dealership coolant and do the transmission fluid change right. I can get you wholesale pricing too.
Old 08-03-11, 09:52 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by copermn
oh yeah, it should def be fine with just distilled water. My dad runs just water in his 1991 Mustang with a 460 as his drag car. It runs at about 180-190 temperature and E85 with a carb, so I'm sure you'll be fine with that mix.

Sorry bout ur situation man, wish I could help out somehow :/
Hehe you're cool man, I got all these people worrying and stuff, wow! Yeah, things could be a lot better but I mean I commanding a giant metal high speed luxury transportation machine spending most of my time leisurely researching how to maintain it's quality and performance and there's people who cry themselves to sleep in other countries cuz they've only been able to put a rat carcass on the dinner table for the their family for the past week - sorry, not trying to be a downer, but I just had to stop and think ya know. All in all, I got things going pretty good for myself!
Old 08-03-11, 09:54 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by account2x
I have an SC400 alternator, Temecula is pretty far but It'll cost you less to come here and pick it up. Use the money you save to go buy the dealership coolant and do the transmission fluid change right. I can get you wholesale pricing too.
Is it new? How much?
Old 08-03-11, 10:00 PM
Gate
Pole Position

I ask of my Lexus that she may serve me, that I may hold her in my heart, that to her I may dedicate each victory and call upon her in defeat, and if at last I give my life, I give it in the sacred name of Iris.
Old 08-03-11, 11:06 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

i got it in my 2jzgte swapped SC and runs perfect, We live in CA so its not really hot or cold unless u might live in Death Valley CA..
Old 08-04-11, 12:24 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Default good charity

I'll send you $10 via PayPal to help out your budget if you want it for the Coolant.

Good charity.... I will do a charity thread my self, parts a 1,5, 10 dllrs donation to me since Iam so broke ....lolz

But seriously nobody really does it... maybe you do.. good job

Quick Reply: O'Reilly Coolant