SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

O'Reilly Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:16 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Look, I really enjoy my SC, and taking pride in yours is a great thing to do, but the SC is bulletproof and running ANY coolant from an auto store in it isn't going to hurt this soon to be 20 year old car. Brand new car? Sure run the good stuff. 5 years old? Still run the good stuff. 15+ years old and 100k + on the clock...... who cares? Coolant is coolant is coolant at this stage. The SC is one hardcore ride when it comes to abuse and mileage.... coolant that wasn't jizzed in by toyota isn't gonna hurt it. Don't ALLOW this car to break you. It's not worth it. It's a fantastic car, but it can take the abuse or off brand fluids. It's very overbuilt.
Old 08-04-11, 01:19 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

PS- that 50/50 is only $9.99 at my local Oreily's.
Old 08-04-11, 09:12 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adl16v
i got it in my 2jzgte swapped SC and runs perfect, We live in CA so its not really hot or cold unless u might live in Death Valley CA..
I'm almost as far south in CA as you can get, but the weather is tolerable. I'm in a valley, it's just "warm" most of the time.
Old 08-04-11, 09:13 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
PS- that 50/50 is only $9.99 at my local Oreily's.
The 50/50 is $6.99 over here, $12.99 was for a gallon of the concentrate.
Old 08-04-11, 09:15 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Look, I really enjoy my SC, and taking pride in yours is a great thing to do, but the SC is bulletproof and running ANY coolant from an auto store in it isn't going to hurt this soon to be 20 year old car. Brand new car? Sure run the good stuff. 5 years old? Still run the good stuff. 15+ years old and 100k + on the clock...... who cares? Coolant is coolant is coolant at this stage. The SC is one hardcore ride when it comes to abuse and mileage.... coolant that wasn't jizzed in by toyota isn't gonna hurt it. Don't ALLOW this car to break you. It's not worth it. It's a fantastic car, but it can take the abuse or off brand fluids. It's very overbuilt.
Agreed sir, I shan't excessively worry, I'll just get the good stuff when I can, but for now, it'll be the cheap O'Reilly stuff.
Old 08-04-11, 11:33 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know you can just use water right? Especially if you're not really going to be driving around much and it's only for three weeks.
Old 08-04-11, 12:00 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OneJay
You know you can just use water right? Especially if you're not really going to be driving around much and it's only for three weeks.
Absolutely! I wouldn't worry too much if I had to do that. But I've already got enough gas in the tank to get me where I need to go during this time. I'll get picky later. I'll have barely enough left over after getting the T-IV, trans filter, pan gasket, gasket sealant, and alternator to get get the cheap stuff. Oh sure, I could just use water for now and have $10 left over, but what is that gonna get me? A nice full meal for two at Carl's? Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome to me right now, but I've got enough food to last me, I think I'll just get the coolant.

I fully agree with you that water added to to the already low as well as overly diluted concentration I have would be fine for three weeks, but... It's mostly cuz my girlfriend and I live together and share this car, and she's skeptical about me saving money by never seeing a mechanic. She thinks I'll just make problems worse. I'm doing everything I can to maintain performance. It would take a retarded one-armed monkey to mess up the work I choose to do like the transmission, alternator, and brakes, and I've done them all before several times (I'm 21 and this 92 SC400 is my sixth car) but I've never worked on a Lexus before. So far, at least the spark plugs have been easy.

I've owned and worked on a hyundai, ford, dodge, mazda, and kia (in that order) and never needed a mechanic for any of them. Except getting ripped off on a new radiator for the Hyundai.
Old 08-04-11, 12:23 PM
kapetajr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I'll send you $10 via PayPal to help out your budget if you want it for the Coolant.
props to you man, this is one of the most stand up things I have seen or heard in a while.

op, throw in so cheap coolant or water till you can afford something else, good luck man,
Old 08-04-11, 01:42 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I'll send you $10 via PayPal to help out your budget if you want it for the Coolant.
I wish I had $10 to give out to someone in need. How did I pay for my stuff? Ran through most of my savings from christmas,birthdays and any kind of money I could collect. Mostly financial aid money for school -.- when ya need a car, ya need a car...

Hope all goes well with you Gate, water should do fine. I poured that pink toyota stuff in recently and it looks like a strawberry milk shake lol.
Old 08-04-11, 02:56 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kapetajr
props to you man, this is one of the most stand up things I have seen or heard in a while.

op, throw in so cheap coolant or water till you can afford something else, good luck man,
Will do man, most likely going with the cheap O'Reilly stuff temporarily, and yes, I was very thankful for his offer but the less these things are abused the more helpful they become. I really don't need any donations right now but it's the thought that counts, and it filled me with good feelings. Hopefully something like that can go to someone who really needs it later.
Old 08-04-11, 02:58 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigBang
I wish I had $10 to give out to someone in need. How did I pay for my stuff? Ran through most of my savings from christmas,birthdays and any kind of money I could collect. Mostly financial aid money for school -.- when ya need a car, ya need a car...

Hope all goes well with you Gate, water should do fine. I poured that pink toyota stuff in recently and it looks like a strawberry milk shake lol.
Yeah, I want to get my hands on that Toyota stuff next time but I'll be fine for now. When you need a car, you need a car. I didn't necessarily need one this amazing, but I enjoy having it.
Old 08-04-11, 03:03 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Hey everyone, great help so far, I do need some help on another topic though - I'll post the jist of it here but feel free to visit the main thread titled "alternator brands".

If you had to choose between three different alternators for your car (I have my 92 SC400 in mind right now) and the options were a Duralast from Autozone, a Permator from Pepboys, or an Ultima from O'Reilly (I've verified the total price for all of these individually including tax to match within the dollar, $151.45 average, and they all have an exactly matching 120 amps), which one would you choose?

I'm well aware these aren't the only choices, but for me, they are the only local choices. I might order online but I'll dabble in that area after getting some input on this.
Old 08-04-11, 03:46 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sir are a stand up guy..
Old 08-04-11, 03:55 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gate
Hey everyone, great help so far, I do need some help on another topic though - I'll post the jist of it here but feel free to visit the main thread titled "alternator brands".

If you had to choose between three different alternators for your car (I have my 92 SC400 in mind right now) and the options were a Duralast from Autozone, a Permator from Pepboys, or an Ultima from O'Reilly (I've verified the total price for all of these individually including tax to match within the dollar, $151.45 average, and they all have an exactly matching 120 amps), which one would you choose?

I'm well aware these aren't the only choices, but for me, they are the only local choices. I might order online but I'll dabble in that area after getting some input on this.

MR GATE, DON'T GET RAPED!!!

i couldn't help myself. hey you don't have to buy a new alt unit. iam sure there is a small electiecal shop there in ca. Just go and get it rebuilt. it cost me $40.00 if i bring them the unit. they just change out the guts and it's brand new.

Thats how they do refurbed units and sell them for 2x the price(why do you thnk they want a core charge).

i do this with all my engine swaps. and i will do this with the 1j. i will never pay for an altenator(or starter) again(unless iam in west bubba **** stranded). but even then i will get a refund and get my oem unit rebuilt.

and moreover on the struggle front. ive done the no money(still kinda doing it now). and ive been homeless before and slept in my car. So i can PERSONALLY relate to your situation.

you don't know what you will do before you die. But the passion of the tuner life kept me going through it all.(and god for you non atheist people). But i still admire you for pushing on.. so in closing

-use water instead of af for now
-get your alt rebuilt
-never stop fighting(the bad things in life)
Old 08-04-11, 04:07 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by megamax
MR GATE, DON'T GET RAPED!!!

i couldn't help myself. hey you don't have to buy a new alt unit. iam sure there is a small electiecal shop there in ca. Just go and get it rebuilt. it cost me $40.00 if i bring them the unit. they just change out the guts and it's brand new.

Thats how they do refurbed units and sell them for 2x the price(why do you thnk they want a core charge).

i do this with all my engine swaps. and i will do this with the 1j. i will never pay for an altenator(or starter) again(unless iam in west bubba **** stranded). but even then i will get a refund and get my oem unit rebuilt.

and moreover on the struggle front. ive done the no money(still kinda doing it now). and ive been homeless before and slept in my car. So i can PERSONALLY relate to your situation.

you don't know what you will do before you die. But the passion of the tuner life kept me going through it all.(and god for you non atheist people). But i still admire you for pushing on.. so in closing

-use water instead of af for now
-get your alt rebuilt
-never stop fighting(the bad things in life)
*face palm* Why didn't I think of that!? Thanks for the support, yes we do relate quite a bit, but we're working our way through things! Help is always appreciated. I was so excited to learn that I could just get mine rebuilt, I'm getting some quotes right now!

Yes, the passion of the tuner. Exactly my thoughts. And yes, God is good.