SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:26 PM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good price?

Hey guys, to being with i used to had one few years back. Recently i been active on here again and looking through pictures makes me want to buy another one again. I decided to start looking and i found a RSP with no sunroof from few hours of where i live. Since i recently just been active on here again. I just want some help from you guys and want to know what yous think on the price with the miles and such. If you dont think it's a good price also please give me some reason if possible. Here is a link on below and thanks for your time.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2503866473.html
Old 08-04-11, 01:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could be wrong, but I believe this car popped up in a thread not to long ago. A few members went out to see it and noticed that it was in a serious wreck and fixed. I guess check it out in person, seems like a good price for the miles. But if it's the same car as the others described, then it was a piece of junk.
Old 08-04-11, 01:49 PM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Was the car in either LA or TX because i just spoke with the owner of this car. They said they recently bought it from LA. Also thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check on the car in person as well as do a little research on here to see if i can dig up some information.
Old 08-04-11, 01:53 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I saw this on craigs not too long ago. Dunno if it's legit or not. That is a pretty standard price though. Just go check it out if you really want it.
Old 08-04-11, 01:56 PM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Yea i am planning on to look at it next week. I just want some opinions from you guys as well.
Old 08-04-11, 03:08 PM
prodigy95
Driver

If you look at the bottom right picture in the ad, it have a sunroof.
Old 08-04-11, 03:52 PM
Gate
Pole Position

There's no way to make a sufficient inference based on the ad. Go in person if you're really that interested, try to gauge your own interest in the color of paint and style of the wheels. Please heed Tabaka's warning as well. Who knows, this may be a steal. But it could be a rip off too. Not a bad choice of vehicle to begin with. Maybe get a carfax?
Old 08-04-11, 04:08 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

I'm new here and definitely not an expert, but I would want to see the car's maintenance records and would also want a mechanic to look it over. I wouldn't pay 7K for an SC unless it was very clean, looked nearly new and had been taken excellent care of.
Old 08-04-11, 04:27 PM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up. I am planning to drive out there to look at the car in person. When i spoke to the owner of the car. He said that there is no sun roof so i am not sure until i see it in person. I know what u mean 7k for an sc. But for that age of that car its really low mileage consider its 14 years old. He also have a carfax report which show no issues from what he said but he will also let me see it when i go look at it. He also said that he is negotiable on the price so i am just hoping for the best. What do you guys think its a fair price on this sc?
Old 08-04-11, 04:43 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Maybe he meant that there's no sunroof as in its broken? Because I can clearly see a sunroof in those pictures.
BigBang
Lead Lap

You really can't put a price on it unless you check it out and see what it's worth to you. Oh and if he gives you an attitude about anything I'd let the car pass. I've dealt with too many people on craigslist like that.
CloudNine7
Rookie

You are right about it being low-mileage. If it's been very well taken care of (one or two owners, always did maintenance on time, etc.), doesn't need anything fixed and looks really nice, I think it's a fair price for sure. It's also pretty cool that it's a '97 with the newer grill.

I'd make a list of things to look over while you're there so you don't forget. You might want to ask what types of tires it has and when they were last replaced. I'd ask when the timing belt was last replaced as well (should have been done around 90k I believe). Make sure you drive the car over 60 mph and check that the suspension feels solid (doesn't shake). Has it had any engine or transmission work?

You can also look out for a good paint job, LCD lights working, condition of leather seats and interior, popping door hinges, do seat controls work, headlight condensation, trunk stays open, old looking door pillars...

A lot of these pop up for sale, and I've actually seen several really nice ones up for sale recently, so wait until you find what you're really looking for.... that's what I'm doing.
Old 08-04-11, 04:50 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

ahh i was just about to post a link to really good one on houston imports... but it just sold yesturday
Old 08-04-11, 04:52 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Are you also looking at autotrader.com and cars.com? Any other good sources I'm missing guys?
Old 08-04-11, 04:56 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Try houston-imports, occasionally they have really nice cars on there. Most of the ones selling on houston-imports are really cheap. If you're willing to drive to houston to find one.. there was a really good SC400 that sold for like 2900.

autotrader and cars.com isn't that like the same website? but their like linked together with the same database?

Quick Reply: Is this a good price?