SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

High Amp Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 05:50 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Amp Alternators

I have a 92 SC400. I'm in the market for a reman/refurb, straight used, or possibly just fixing my old one (a very reliable resource told me the armature is most likely the reason my old one went out, but it might be the rectifier...).

Mainly, for now, what are the pros of putting in a high amp alt (I'm looking at a 145 and a 180)? Are there any at all? Is it just plain dumb (wasteful) or worse yet, dangerous/damaging?
Old 08-04-11, 06:01 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

find a alt fixer!!! the yellow pages.
Old 08-04-11, 06:08 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by megamax
find a alt fixer!!! the yellow pages.
You sir have the correct idea in mind! Getting the current one fixed right now would be overall better for the car because the money saved could go to other maintenance to preserve life and improve performance. Our stance is especially true for people on a budget. However, there will be a day when I'll be in a position to install performance parts, maintain my vehicle to at a higher level, and possibly even shell out for luxury/cosmetic apparel (aux radio, upholstery, rims). At that time, I'll want to be as educated as possible on my options, and a high amp alternator might be one of them. All opinions are appreciated.
Old 08-04-11, 07:39 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

i have been doing audio systems for a long time and people swear by them. i never had one myself but i do plan on putting one in the sc. just because she gets spoiled when it comes to parts.
Old 08-04-11, 07:54 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
i have been doing audio systems for a long time and people swear by them. i never had one myself but i do plan on putting one in the sc. just because she gets spoiled when it comes to parts.
People swear by what? The audio systems or the high amp alts?

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, just need to be extra careful so I properly absorb the advice.
Old 08-05-11, 07:23 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people swear by higher output alternators for audio systems. Especially larger systems since they tend to be a larger drain on the output of your charging system.

Capacitors are bandaids, higher output alternators are the preferred method
Old 08-05-11, 09:56 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My carPC killed my amp/battery, and it's not that high output of a system. Although I did run it alot on just battery.
I replaced my stock 110amp alternator with a 140amp one. Everything's been working fine since..
Old 08-05-11, 09:59 AM
JayCaz
Driver

Care to share a link for this 145/180 alt you talking about?

I too will be looking for one in the near future.
Old 08-05-11, 11:11 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 88supramki
people swear by higher output alternators for audio systems. Especially larger systems since they tend to be a larger drain on the output of your charging system.

Capacitors are bandaids, higher output alternators are the preferred method
Thank you! I suppose that does answer my question. Now it's apparent that there isn't much risk of harm from a high amp alt. I'm not especially clear on the full benefits, but the most of my worries are over. Better sound? Nice!
Old 08-05-11, 11:11 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
My carPC killed my amp/battery, and it's not that high output of a system. Although I did run it alot on just battery.
I replaced my stock 110amp alternator with a 140amp one. Everything's been working fine since..
Nicey nice
Old 08-05-11, 11:25 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JayCaz
Care to share a link for this 145/180 alt you talking about?

I too will be looking for one in the near future.
The stock Nippondenso alternator is 120 amps.

I've only got links for those high amp alternators for my 1992 SC400 but you could probably find them for other cars easily. For now, here are the links for those high amp alternators for my car just in case it helps.

Here is the 145 amp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

Here is the 180 amp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...Q5fAccessories

Happy hunting!
Old 08-05-11, 11:27 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gate
Thank you! I suppose that does answer my question. Now it's apparent that there isn't much risk of harm from a high amp alt. I'm not especially clear on the full benefits, but the most of my worries are over. Better sound? Nice!
If you are running completely stock and maybe a headunit i wouldn't go much higher than 140, because there's no real need for it. I have a 100 in mine and i had a pretty decent system running. If you're pushing 1K HP and running a lot of other stuff then yeah get a much larger alternator...it's all perspective
Old 08-05-11, 11:45 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I found out that I needed to change/fix my alternator I was debating wether to get the 145amp or the reman from Autozone(100amp), and a guy here said to just get the one from Autozone, anyways it's lifetime warranty so if I break it just get it replaced and it's just half the price of the 145amp($300). I wanted to fix it but the thing is, if you just fix it, and even try to clean it very well there is no way it's gonna look like new again which I really wanted for my car, so I got the one from Autozone and it even came in polished!
Old 08-05-11, 05:39 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

well the question was about high output alternators so i figured you knew thats what i meant. bottom line is a higher output alternator is going to improve performance of the charging system. it is not necessary unless your running big audio amps or other heavy pulling accessories. but my logic has always been:why not have higher then stock output? you dont want to go overboard with like 240 amps but 140 to 180 is not unreasonable. and while your at it might as well upgrade battery cables and engine ground straps for a better overall system current. here is what i have planned for my sc300.
180 amp alternator
red top battery
4 awg power and ground cables
gold ring terminals all around
stinger battery terminals
ngk plugs and wires

this allows for better current throughout the system. have you ever been in a car with an audio system and seen the lights dim down when the bass hits? this is due to the alternator not keeping up with the power demand of the system or poor ground contacts and low current wiring. upgrading electrical systems wont cause any adverse affects as long as it was done right. it will only increase the amount of current to your electrical components and accessories.=better
i would recommend having your stock one rebuilt to higher output specs vs buying an ebay one.
Old 08-05-11, 07:04 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 88supramki
If you are running completely stock and maybe a headunit i wouldn't go much higher than 140, because there's no real need for it. I have a 100 in mine and i had a pretty decent system running. If you're pushing 1K HP and running a lot of other stuff then yeah get a much larger alternator...it's all perspective
Good to know, I;ll keep that in mind, I don't think I'll ever get anything higher than 140, even if it's just for the heck of it, and my 120 one is doing fine right now anyways.