SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

this is kicking my a**

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 09:06 PM
Abelo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation this is kicking my a**

so cl..... i am pretty damn frustrated with my car at the moment...let me tell you why,

first of all ill tell you all a little about the car so there is no confusion:
its a 91 toyota soarer rhd, 5spd manual transmission, with a 1jz-gte motor non vvti.

mods: single turbo conversion, done by me. holset hx35 turbo, top mount exhaust manifold, 44mm external wastegate open dumped, i also just installed a safc2 but havent tuned it yet and all the other mods fmic, exhaust, etc...

so the problem is one day i decided to change my high temp silicone oil drain line to ss lines and aluminum fittings, all i did was remove some of my hot side intercooler piping, and my intake. i then changed my oil drain line, the fittings didn't work so i switched it back to the silicone hose. put everything back the exact same way it was taken off, then i go for a test drive and BAMMM no boost!!! its like a driving a 4 door civic!!!

so i did a boost leak test on the whole system from turbo inlet to where it connects with the intake manifold, and there are no leaks. my turbo spools up but its not reading boost, it just goes from vacuum to 0psi then thats it. then one day i started the car and it was hard to start i had to give it gas to get it running, then it would stall on me like it wasnt getting fuel, but the car stunk like gas. finally got it running and it idled at 500rpm. now when i cold start the car it idles at 1500rpm then slowly drops to 800rpm where it sits at warm idle. it has never done that before. and sometimes it will idle at 500rrpm. (

so im pretty ******* confused and agitated, because its my dd. any help is appreciated!!
Old 08-04-11, 09:31 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wastegate stuck open? Easy to check since you have an open dump tube.
Old 08-04-11, 09:44 PM
Abelo
Driver

well ive had the problem of it being stuck open before and its damn loud, so im pretty sure its closed
Old 08-05-11, 12:36 AM
paulson
Driver School Candidate

wastegate is open half way. check all your vacuum lines and vsv's sounds like a vacuum leak or idle air control valve
Old 08-05-11, 12:48 AM
Abelo
Driver

even if it was open halfway i would be able to hear it, its open dump so its really loud. i already put my hand under it and i dont feel any air coming out. what could i check for my iacv? its currently just got a small air filter on it
Old 08-05-11, 07:45 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Dude it is most likely your wastegate. I have this same Setup as you. and yes it should have been loud like it was when mine got a welding Bur stuck in it.
this is kicking my a**-new-soarer-255.jpg
If its not this then its a Coupler. you shouldnt have any problems unless its a boost leak which it has to be. Its either Pressure lost on the Intake from a untightened Coupler or its on the exhauset side in the only place it could really be "the wastegate". I still had boost with a 3 inch crack in my Exhaust so it shouldnt be that and even if you had a leaking coupler or not tightened all the way you should have still been getting some kind of positive boost on your gauge. it has to be fully open on one spot or the other.
Old 08-05-11, 07:50 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

your going to want to get a new Map sensor BTW. the SAFC2 will work to a certain degree but you might want to see if you can also wire in a Apexi 3 bar map to the SAFC2. it is less work then getting the GM3 bar (which is what i have with my Power FC)
Old 08-06-11, 07:17 PM
Abelo
Driver

okay i was thinking about the maf but didnt no where to start on it. well everyone i just rear ended someone the other day so my front clip is destroyed and i should be getting a new one installed soon, after that is done i will fix this boost issue. for now i found a cheap talon tsi to drive around, so i will be in the dsm world for a little bit...its so sadd.....