SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What may be a possible cause for this problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 04:45 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What may be a possible cause for this problem...

i just arrived in Cheyenne WY.
18 hours of grusome construction, and a almost 2 hour detour around council bluffs as i29 is closed as its still a bit underwater.. lol

The car has now developed what seems to be suspension related..?
Didnt hit any potholes or the like but the washboard roads are what I will for now blame, and old age of the car.

1993 Soarer 1j

When theres those breaks in the road, or when the slabs of concrete are heaved together to cause a bit of a ridge.. the small ones.. dont bother the car.. the bigger ones now seem to force the car to sway sideways just back and forth once..

It reminds me of tramlining when you have wide bald tires .. except the steering wheel doesnt seem to be grabbing and moving with the car...

It seems to mostly be from the rear end.. however the odd time it seems to start with the front and then move to the back.. its just as if the car moves to the left and right.. i dont mean its all over the road i mean the car just shifts its weight...

Almost like JUST at the verge before you start spinning the rear tires doing a corner and giving it gas.. the weight shifts and your like OooHOOH and yet no slipping from tires your holding your coarse true..

I looked best i could underneath.. but suspension stuff isnt my strong suit..
I want to say something like in the picture below.. has alot of wear and tear around the rubber busing/bearing whatever it is.. but i coudlnt move it with my hand atall in any direction..

steering control arm i think ?? no idea but i cant see how that would cause this problem as the car handles fine otherwise
I will probably end up dropping the car off at Stevenson lexus in fredrick i believe it is?? but like anytime i bring the car in somewhere.. if they want to replace something I better have the part numbers avail.. so figured id see what you guys think the problem may be..

Edit: two more things.. the steeringwheel seems to be vibrating with the road.. it never used to.. it was as smooth as a cloud. you could steer with one finger.. but now its really giving the driver the feel of the road.. its not a problem but its probably related.. and i do hate seeing it vibrate as little as it is -

half way through the trip after this problem started.. i checked tire pressure.. all of them were 38 - i deflated them all back to 34 and it seemed to help but only a little.. and the rear tires ARE getting bald in the middle areas which may? be contributing aswelll... (already have new ones ordered at tirerack.. had to wait to come into USA to get them lol)

Last edited by soarer93; 08-06-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 10:47 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be multiple things, but i wanna say sway bar links, sway bar, bushings, possible strut/spring, along with balding tires, may just need an alignment, steering rack, inner/outer tie rods and bent rim (im jus guessing but they are possible, and also good investments if you havnt changed any so far)

so u have new tires comming in
bushings u can get at jegs for prothane ones, havent used em myself but many on the forums say theyre very good
sway bar ull have to find one, sure u can get one in the classifieds
links u can find at jegs too (i believe not 100% sure) or ebay
strut/spring go with your choice on that
tie rods at megan racing are good made for 93+supra but work for us
steering rack im not sure where to get
and just an alignment, all the little+big bumps could have caused out of spec alignment (due to older bushings not holding as good as they used to)
and posssible bent rim, i had a bent rims and the car ran fine unless i was at faster speeds or bumps it would go where ti wanted, stock rims, ran perfect

jus my thoughts and trying to help, hope you can get it fixed
Old 08-12-11, 09:50 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Well apparently the balljoint on the LCA's are shot.

Anyone know the time it SHOULD take to get them replaced? Dealer quoted 920$ Labour.
Which im guessing at about 120$ an hour is 7.5 hours or 6.5 hours at 140$ an hour.

either or, im surprised it would take THAT long.
Also any opinions on what other oppertunities should be taken while the LCAs are out? IE. any bushings otherwise that will be easily accessable to replace, etc etc?
Old 08-12-11, 09:59 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Lca costs about 250 for one. A little over 5 for the front set. The dealer charging a little 400 for labor isn't ridiculous but I'm sure you can find a mechanically inclined friend to do it for half that. Or you can do it yourself for free. It's not hard.
Old 08-12-11, 10:02 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

nono the labour was 920.
the parts from them was over 1000$ each.. i grabbed supra ones for 270$ each side.
but ya the labour alone is 920
Old 08-12-11, 11:31 AM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

changing LCA is really easy, theres a write up on here with pics and everything ud be better off doing it urself and then jus paying for an alignment
saved u sum time and found the post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...l-arm-diy.html
Old 08-12-11, 11:47 AM
azndan2
Driver

Dealers like to take all your money. Pay a friend who likes working on cars to do it for you or help you do it.
Old 08-12-11, 01:22 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

I would even attempt to do it myself but im 18 hrs from home - so u can imagine my list of friends that would want or attempt to do it, in this area. is short.. lol