SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZ-ge turbocharge, How do i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 10:58 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Why dont you guys actually help him instead of looking down at him????

Most threads on turbos dont actually tell you the exact process on how to do it.

Instead of him going through hundreds of old turbo relevant threads you guys can just give him a basic process of how its done.

Ive never installed a turbo so I am not the right guy to offer advice here.
Old 08-09-11, 11:13 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^C'mon there's a lot of current build threads that could be relevant to the OP. OP, sorry if we intimidated you, were just messing around. But it would hurt to just use the search. You have two options, NA-T or a GTE swap. It all depends on how deep your willing to dig in your pocket. There's a lot of new NA-T and GTE swap threads that can help you choose what path you want to go down. I hope this helps.
Old 08-09-11, 11:16 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Most threads on turbos dont actually tell you the exact process on how to do it.

Instead of him going through hundreds of old turbo relevant threads you guys can just give him a basic process of how its done.

Because it's lazy. Those old turbo threads actually have alot of useful info. I probably read for 5 months solid before posting (my join date is May of 08 and I'm just NOW starting to post), and when I did it was an actual question, not some generic shot in the wind vague thread.

However I do agree there needs to be an updated DIY Turbo FAQ stickied thread.

The problem with these cars and platform is there are so many different methods and ways of doing it. Each setup is different from turbo to manifold to which engine is being used, ems, wiring etc etc. The supraforums N/A section has a ton of good info, I'm on SF for most of the day reading.
Old 08-09-11, 02:01 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because there's absolutely no way to gauge someone's tenacity, seriousness, wallet-size, and ability to learn quickly.

When threads like this are made, we don't know if who the OP is. He could be an adult who is interested in turbo'ing his car and is looking for some basic information to lead him in the right direction for research that will take a few months if not years to complete... OR it's some random idiot who thinks they could just buy 600 dollars worth of parts and throw something together in the weekend so that they could tell all their friends how much horsepower they're making.

You can't possibly tell me any of the old turbo threads are outdated. The mechanical process to turbocharging a car hasn't changed at all. New parts may have been released to the market but you can't expect someone to give you a list of "best parts", buy them, and have everything work perfectly well together. The old threads are as useful now as they were before.

This community is actually really, really forgiving. We actually try our best to answer specific questions and even some of the mildly vague ones. But when someone asks "How to turbocharge my car, k thnx" and there's a NA-T build thread on the first page... that's just being lazy.
Old 08-09-11, 02:11 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Old 08-09-11, 02:12 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ejsides36
hi, im looking for how to turbocharge my 1993 SC300. i have no idea how to go about it. if anyobne could offer advice, suggestions or anything your help is greatly appreciated. thank you
If you have no idea how to do it, I suggest spending a whole lot of time doing research before you even attempt on doing it yourself. Or just send it away to some one, Pay alot of money and look like an idiot when you have a fast car and have no idea how it works.
Old 08-09-11, 02:18 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by shboni
Go dwn to you local performance shop, pay them a couple grand....a few days/weeks go by then you have a turbo'd engine....Thats how you do it
agreed. that way you dont have to research how to go about it.
Old 08-09-11, 08:18 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...2945905&sr=8-1

Buy it before you spend $1 on anything for your car related to this. Don't even post another thread about this (not being a ****, but trust me READ IT). Study it. When you think you know what you're doing go back and read it again. THEN you'll be able to research turbo options for the SC, ask informed questions and have a way better idea of what you're getting into
Old 08-09-11, 09:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
^C'mon there's a lot of current build threads that could be relevant to the OP. OP, sorry if we intimidated you, were just messing around. But it would hurt to just use the search. You have two options, NA-T or a GTE swap. It all depends on how deep your willing to dig in your pocket. There's a lot of new NA-T and GTE swap threads that can help you choose what path you want to go down. I hope this helps.
Yes there are many many relevant threads but I have been here for almost two years now and ive yet to see a build threat that catered to people that had no experiance with turbos.

He doesnt know what the parts are and the process he might not even know how the turbo works, most threads do not simplify it for the amateurs.

Hes going to see alot of words he doesnt know and alot of parts he has never seen or heard of.

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Because it's lazy. Those old turbo threads actually have alot of useful info. I probably read for 5 months solid before posting (my join date is May of 08 and I'm just NOW starting to post), and when I did it was an actual question, not some generic shot in the wind vague thread.

However I do agree there needs to be an updated DIY Turbo FAQ stickied thread.

Yes i agre there is alot of useful info there, but i think hes asking for a basic briefing on turboing and how it works, as i said above most threads will just go way over his head.

Originally Posted by VinSCe
Because there's absolutely no way to gauge someone's tenacity, seriousness, wallet-size, and ability to learn quickly.

When threads like this are made, we don't know if who the OP is. He could be an adult who is interested in turbo'ing his car and is looking for some basic information to lead him in the right direction for research that will take a few months if not years to complete... OR it's some random idiot who thinks they could just buy 600 dollars worth of parts and throw something together in the weekend so that they could tell all their friends how much horsepower they're making.
I hear what yoru saying, the chances of this op actually turboing his car in the near future is slim to none.

But I dont think it is hard to give him a brief step by step on how its done and what parts are neccesary and the purpose for each part.

From what ive seen the process seems fairly str8 forward and should be easyo for someone to explain iof they have the experiance with it.

Anywasy thats just how I see it.

Thanks
Old 08-09-11, 09:17 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-09-11, 09:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

lol spooled!!!!^^^^^^
Old 08-09-11, 09:30 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
If you have no idea how to do it, I suggest spending a whole lot of time doing research before you even attempt on doing it yourself. Or just send it away to some one, Pay alot of money and look like an idiot when you have a fast car and have no idea how it works.
Preach it! Why let someone else do all that stuff for you if you don't know anything about it.
Old 08-09-11, 10:12 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spooled
Lol +1
10char
Old 08-09-11, 10:32 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Yes there are many many relevant threads but I have been here for almost two years now and ive yet to see a build threat that catered to people that had no experiance with turbos.

He doesnt know what the parts are and the process he might not even know how the turbo works, most threads do not simplify it for the amateurs.

Hes going to see alot of words he doesnt know and alot of parts he has never seen or heard of.
Still, there are resources outside of CL.
Old 08-09-11, 11:39 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:Spooled" pretty much gave a perfect step by step on how to do it

Quick Reply: 2JZ-ge turbocharge, How do i do it?