SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My 1 month old SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 09:48 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGIRL400
So I bought this SC I was in love with. It was overheating and told it needed a fan pump. I bought one from here on the board only to put it on and find out its a blown head. I bought it for $1500 and spent close to another $2000 to get her stock which included having my boyfriend changing the PITA starter...I feel sick now...
Sounds exactly what happened with my sc.. bought it for $500.. drove it to lexus to get it checked out. over heated and Broke down half way. Now i get why it's so cheap... lol..

starters suck! (to do the labor for) I ended up spending over 2000 for another engine and rebuild/reseal that one, doing the labor yourself saves so much! Without that, it was estimated at costing 8000 for the parts and labor at lexus. You should stick with the 1uz tho.
Old 08-09-11, 10:06 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome SCGIRL400 to Club Lexus! Where all your sexy Lexi dreams can come true! LOL
Don't feel bad about it, I've spent close to 6 grand on my SC since I got it March of this year! LOL Well, that includes some upgrades and fixin all in all, and I'm not yet done... But one thing you gotts know, this car is a classic, so maintaining it in great shape might just pay off in the future!
Old 08-10-11, 10:58 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, since you have a blown head gasket, it means you might as well do a partial rebuild...depends upon how handy you or your significant other are mechanically. You can pick up a used engine for around $500 all day long...these 1UZ's last a good long time when maintained. That would probably be your cheapest route. If you decide to do a rebuild, you could keep the pistons and rods as long as they are good, and just clean up everything, replace the mains, the gaskets, put in a NEW set of head bolts, new rings, and have a machine shop balance and machine everything. Also have the machine do a valve job and replace any parts needed with the heads. It will cost you a much more, but you will have a new engine, practically. While you are in there, change out the water pump and the timing belt too.

Expensive, but the car will serve you well once you get it to truly stock condition. Then you can start saving up for your mods...

Ryan
Old 08-10-11, 11:18 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Well, since you have a blown head gasket, it means you might as well do a partial rebuild...depends upon how handy you or your significant other are mechanically. You can pick up a used engine for around $500 all day long...these 1UZ's last a good long time when maintained. That would probably be your cheapest route. If you decide to do a rebuild, you could keep the pistons and rods as long as they are good, and just clean up everything, replace the mains, the gaskets, put in a NEW set of head bolts, new rings, and have a machine shop balance and machine everything. Also have the machine do a valve job and replace any parts needed with the heads. It will cost you a much more, but you will have a new engine, practically. While you are in there, change out the water pump and the timing belt too.

Expensive, but the car will serve you well once you get it to truly stock condition. Then you can start saving up for your mods...

Ryan
Man if i had the money I woulda done that too I would feel more secure about my 1uz if i sent it to machine shop.. but i had to do a valve job myself and all that crap. Bought a new starter, did the rear main seal and all that, and a gasket set. timing, waterpump.
Old 08-10-11, 12:12 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Man if i had the money I woulda done that too I would feel more secure about my 1uz if i sent it to machine shop.. but i had to do a valve job myself and all that crap. Bought a new starter, did the rear main seal and all that, and a gasket set. timing, waterpump.
Yo, if you have anything that you need to find out about your 1UZ engine, Ryan is the man, Ryan have the ultimate SC400 amongst everybody here that I've seen. I find myself most of the time at Ryan's threads when I do fixin' on mine, (cause I fix my own SC and cause I wanna learn and I'm cheap like that), but on the real though, my dream is to end up with a clean and powerful SC400 just like Ryan's (SC400TT).
Old 08-11-11, 01:17 AM
FrshPrince
Rookie

You have a blown head gasket or is the whole head just shot? just wondering
Old 08-11-11, 09:02 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Yo, if you have anything that you need to find out about your 1UZ engine, Ryan is the man, Ryan have the ultimate SC400 amongst everybody here that I've seen. I find myself most of the time at Ryan's threads when I do fixin' on mine, (cause I fix my own SC and cause I wanna learn and I'm cheap like that), but on the real though, my dream is to end up with a clean and powerful SC400 just like Ryan's (SC400TT).
Thx, i'll keep that in mind man! I'm also wanting to learn and work on it myself.. and cheaply haha.
Old 08-15-11, 11:25 AM
SCGIRL400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrshPrince
You have a blown head gasket or is the whole head just shot? just wondering
Yea it's just the gasket. The car starts strong then overheats. Working on getting the gaskets replaced.
Old 11-02-11, 07:23 AM
SCGIRL400
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I am finally able to drive my SC!!! Not the one orginally posted but a better one! My boyfriend went behind my back and found me another one! A 92' owned by an older lady since new who never got it faster than 80 mph. She thought the timing belt went out but it was actually the ECU. He knew someone who had an extra and surprized me one night by having his buddy drop it off at the house. He changed the brakes, control arms, water pump, had the cats cut out and washed it down really good for me. I am so excited and so happy that he did this for me. It has the built in radar detector and even has the cellphone. The woman he bought it from also had the orginal window sticker. He is awesome! I love driving this car. Going this week to get a new sound system in. I think one or two of the speakers are blown. So glad this turned out well. I had pretty much given up. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the other one.
Attached Thumbnails My 1 month old SC-20111102_082342.jpg   My 1 month old SC-20111102_082238.jpg   My 1 month old SC-20111102_082010.jpg   My 1 month old SC-20111102_081955.jpg  
Old 11-02-11, 07:49 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

midnight indigo pearl i th ink... pretty rare color... nice come up. it looks like its in really good shape.
Old 11-02-11, 07:55 AM
SCGIRL400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! It's in great shape. Actually both the cars I have are the same color. So I have swapped a few peices here and there to make sure the better parts are on the running SC. There are a few scratches and a wear spot the size of a silver dollar on the spoiler but lucky enough the boyfriend works for a paint and body supply store and has worked for paint and body shops over the last 14 years. So we are going to freshen up the paint.
Old 11-02-11, 07:57 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

damn got u a car and gunna paint it for u... me and my wife agree he is a keeper...lmao...

btw. in for more pics.
Old 11-02-11, 08:07 AM
SCGIRL400
Driver School Candidate

He is for sure a keeper!
Old 11-02-11, 08:08 AM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

damn! let me know if your boyfriend ever goes gay... i would totally go gay for a mint condition SC.
Old 11-02-11, 08:14 AM
SCGIRL400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMJoe239
damn! let me know if your boyfriend ever goes gay... i would totally go gay for a mint condition SC.
LMAO I will let you know!

Quick Reply: My 1 month old SC