SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2jz-gte built or not? turbo kit choice? opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 08:43 PM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte built or not? turbo kit choice? opinions?

Well the time is growing near to refinance the house and the wife is allowing me to get what I want for my SC... on a budget of course, I won't mention the amount of the budget, if you know the ballpark price of these parts you should be able to figure it out.

1st off I am tired of working on cars, worked on my civic hb for 11 years while I had it, built engines in my basement, 4 different engine setups, 3 different turbo setups, in the end it got destroyed by softball size hail, so sold it with everything I had for the car for a loss of over $10,000.

So I have talked pricing with my buddy who owns a shop, who happens to be the only shop in town I trust building my car. My power goals for now are 450whp pump gas daily driven, eventually I will decide how much I want to make on race gas but this thing will only see the track a few times a year.

We have decided on;
- full jdm tt supra 2JZ-GTE w/ getrag v160, with rear subframe lsd diff and rear brakes.
- twin disc
- titanium springs retainers oem size valves etc.
- aem ems v2
- ID 1000's, twin walbro's etc

The only 2 dilemmas I have are;
1)Turbo kit (2 choices single turbo borg warner s372r billet with SP quick spool valve or boostlogic's compound turbo kit)
2) Whether to build the 2jz-gte with forged internals, balanced, blue printed etc or not to build it and trust that the jdm engine with >50,000 miles will hold up, since I don't plan on ever getting rid of the car when all this is done.

So fellow SC owners, supra, or former supra owners please chime in on turbo kit choice or whether to build the gte or not.

Thanks in advance
-Jun

Last edited by JunFLR66; 08-09-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 09:37 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

from what i understand, the GTE should be fine stop to 700 hp on a good tune with a fuel system, race gas and ems. you should be able to pull 500+ on 93 with a good tune also. good luck
Old 08-09-11, 10:06 PM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Originally Posted by 93SC300.
from what i understand, the GTE should be fine stop to 700 hp on a good tune with a fuel system, race gas and ems. you should be able to pull 500+ on 93 with a good tune also. good luck
we don't even have a gas station here that sells 93 octane anymore, the highest octane we have is 91 for unleaded, I was thinking about going E-85 but still undecided, so I guess add another dilemma.
Old 08-09-11, 10:12 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Refresh all your gaskets and seals. It's a GTE. Order yourself a Full-Race manifold and a Borg Warner EFR 8374. Part number 179357 if you want to do some research. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-11, 10:15 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And as far as the quick spool valve, so some research on it first. Getting a properly sized turbo and the right cams negates the need for it in the first place.
Old 08-09-11, 10:20 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

stick with the factory motor, get a nice turbo and manifold, use 91 add meth injection and call it a day.

if you are looking for a good manifold check these guys out, www.docrace.com
Old 08-10-11, 12:43 AM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
Refresh all your gaskets and seals. It's a GTE. Order yourself a Full-Race manifold and a Borg Warner EFR 8374. Part number 179357 if you want to do some research. Just my opinion.
I looked up some information on the borg warner EFR 8374, I like the idea of the spool time, but ball bearing is a no no, from the people I have known locally who run BB turbos they do not last. And this car is my daily so I'll stick with a journal bearing, because the cost to rebuild a ball bearing turbo is ridiculous. I think I will listen to you about not building the motor and just refreshing gaskets/seals. I still want to put a valvetrain/cams in it. I don't think I need any port work, but the head will still need to be milled since it has to come off.
Old 08-10-11, 08:28 PM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Originally Posted by VinnyQH
stick with the factory motor, get a nice turbo and manifold, use 91 add meth injection and call it a day.

if you are looking for a good manifold check these guys out, www.docrace.com
Thanks for the input, I'll look into it..
Old 08-10-11, 10:58 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

well on 91 and meth im sure you can still pull some good numbers with a good tune. I wouldnt worry about building the motor unless you wanna go 850+. Meth kit is about 500 bucks so its definately a must. goodluck
Old 08-11-11, 12:28 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is where do you want to be in the long run? If you're looking for 450 wheel just turbo the NA motor and run a turbo with an inducer around 65mm. I certaintly hope you guys aren't having trouble making 450 wheel on pump gas, that's BPU supra level.

If you want to do a TT motor and not looking at spending a lot get a decent manifold and run ~ 67mm turbo. For along time this was considered the "goldie-lox" turbo for the 2jz-gte, good spool and good power. At this size or smaller you don't need to touch the head either, cams and head work get really pricy. I made ~560wheel on good gas with a PTE 67 through a TH400. This was with stock cams etc.

If you think you want to go big in the future, try and only buy certain parts one time. For the fuel system why not run the FIC 2150's ? Way over kill now, but you wouldn't have to upgrade down the road when you swith to E85. This is the same with the fuel line/return/regulator. Also think about this with the wastegate etc. My swap was completed ~March of 03' and had stock twins and a v-160. Since then I've switched the turbo system 4 times, fuel 4 times, tranny etc.
Old 08-12-11, 10:22 AM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
The question is where do you want to be in the long run? If you're looking for 450 wheel just turbo the NA motor and run a turbo with an inducer around 65mm. I certaintly hope you guys aren't having trouble making 450 wheel on pump gas, that's BPU supra level.

If you want to do a TT motor and not looking at spending a lot get a decent manifold and run ~ 67mm turbo. For along time this was considered the "goldie-lox" turbo for the 2jz-gte, good spool and good power. At this size or smaller you don't need to touch the head either, cams and head work get really pricy. I made ~560wheel on good gas with a PTE 67 through a TH400. This was with stock cams etc.

If you think you want to go big in the future, try and only buy certain parts one time. For the fuel system why not run the FIC 2150's ? Way over kill now, but you wouldn't have to upgrade down the road when you swith to E85. This is the same with the fuel line/return/regulator. Also think about this with the wastegate etc. My swap was completed ~March of 03' and had stock twins and a v-160. Since then I've switched the turbo system 4 times, fuel 4 times, tranny etc.
My initial power goal for pump gas was 450rwhp. I've come to the conclusion that it won't be enough since my civic had 440whp daily driven and only weighed 2,460 pounds with me in it full system etc. The guys on SF.com say that for the same power to weight ratio in the SC I'd need close to 700 in the SC. I did look into the 67 billet but figure max power would be exceeded pretty quickly, and since the BWs372R was the turbo I had for my civic should sppool quicker with a QSV on a 3.0 liter than compared to a 2.0 liter B series, and at the same time stay out of boost during regular driving while resisting the urge to roast the tires.

I don't want to keep changing up the setup, I want to do it right the 1st time. That's why I want to over build in case the appetite for more power grows. I was also considering the ID1600's as well. As far as tranny goes I've always loved driving a manual, auto gets really boring to me, granted I've never driven an auto with 600rwhp. So the v160 should suffice if I decide to make more power.
Old 08-12-11, 11:53 AM
azndan2
Driver

Sounds like you're going to have a BA (Bada$$) setup. Make sure to post videos when you're done!
Old 08-12-11, 01:34 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Can't wait for this one. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one. Gl with the build.
Old 08-13-11, 12:21 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JunFLR66
My initial power goal for pump gas was 450rwhp. I've come to the conclusion that it won't be enough since my civic had 440whp daily driven and only weighed 2,460 pounds with me in it full system etc. The guys on SF.com say that for the same power to weight ratio in the SC I'd need close to 700 in the SC. I did look into the 67 billet but figure max power would be exceeded pretty quickly, and since the BWs372R was the turbo I had for my civic should sppool quicker with a QSV on a 3.0 liter than compared to a 2.0 liter B series, and at the same time stay out of boost during regular driving while resisting the urge to roast the tires.

I don't want to keep changing up the setup, I want to do it right the 1st time. That's why I want to over build in case the appetite for more power grows. I was also considering the ID1600's as well. As far as tranny goes I've always loved driving a manual, auto gets really boring to me, granted I've never driven an auto with 600rwhp. So the v160 should suffice if I decide to make more power.
Keep in mind that you will also be making a bit more torque, and rwd with a good power band is potent. Don't know about the BW turbo that you are looking at but a quick search says that it's a 72mm inducer? If that's the case it should make alot of power!( I made over700 wheel through a TH400 with a 74mm)

Not sure why you are looking at a QSV for your setup? They are expensive and I honestly believe that you should try your setup without one, that is unless you like the cool factor of having one.

The v-160 will take everything you can throw at it, just need a good(expensive) clutch.

Also read recently that the 1600's are having trouble with heating up the fuel and are not currently being sold.

Bottom line is a 600rwhp car is a beast on the street and 99.5% of the **** that you line up against won't stand a chance. I recently switched over to e85 and have been running 25 pounds of boost on my 74 and I can leave 200ft tire marks with 28x11.50 ET streets
Old 08-14-11, 12:06 AM
JunFLR66
Rookie

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
Keep in mind that you will also be making a bit more torque, and rwd with a good power band is potent. Don't know about the BW turbo that you are looking at but a quick search says that it's a 72mm inducer? If that's the case it should make alot of power!( I made over700 wheel through a TH400 with a 74mm)

Not sure why you are looking at a QSV for your setup? They are expensive and I honestly believe that you should try your setup without one, that is unless you like the cool factor of having one.

The v-160 will take everything you can throw at it, just need a good(expensive) clutch.

Also read recently that the 1600's are having trouble with heating up the fuel and are not currently being sold.

Bottom line is a 600rwhp car is a beast on the street and 99.5% of the **** that you line up against won't stand a chance. I recently switched over to e85 and have been running 25 pounds of boost on my 74 and I can leave 200ft tire marks with 28x11.50 ET streets
BWs372R was the turbo I had for my civic, Tony Palo runs the same turbo in his world's quickest Sport Front Wheel Drive Integra, when I was building my motor in the basement he was running 8.90's @169, another main reason why I wanna run the QSV, I was taking my engine to 11,000rpm built balanced Honda B-series engines with valvetrain, Tony Palo to 12,000rpm, but his engine gets torn down and inspected after every event. From my research I wouldn't want to take the GTE over 8,000rpm, with my choice as of now for turbo the BWs372R billet I should see full boost at about 5,500 w/out QSV, and 5,000 with. If anyone is interested hop on youtube and search s372r billet you should find a supra on the dyno making crazy power with minimal boost, I just wish they showed the dyno graph so I could see when he gets full boost. So that would only leave me with 3,000rpm to be in boost. So why wishful thinking I kind of want to run the coupound turbo setup, but $6,900 is up there..

All I can say is the only thing that will stop me is getting denied for the refinance. If that goes through it'll be a matter of time. I can't wait!!!!

Thanks for all the input so far guys/gals, of all the forums I've been a part of.. CL has the most true enthusiasts.. other forums' members are d bags, I love the support I always see here on CL.

Last edited by JunFLR66; 08-14-11 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte built or not? turbo kit choice? opinions?