Stock 1JZ swap $15,000???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 06:15 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
cost me about $3k as well and about 3 days without the car......GL
where in Miami did you get your swap done iam looking for a shop right now i am in the miramar area...?
Old 08-10-11, 09:01 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

For $18,000, you could get a Supra TT or a 2JZ-GTE swapped SC, GS or IS. That's way overpriced!
Old 08-10-11, 09:05 AM
Dr. Tweak
Driver School Candidate

Hi everybody!

First of all I'd like to assure you that none of my employees are morons or on drugs Please direct your attention to the services page our website, www.tweakdperformance.com :

"Effective January 1st, 2011 we no longer offer engine swap services, except by special request. If you would like your project to be considered you may email a written request to us at sales@tweakdperformance.com."

Unfortunately we have had to stop offering engine swap services simply because we have so much other work coming in. Despite what you may think, engine swaps really don't make our business any money because of the huge number of hours involved in doing a swap properly and getting all the details perfect. That said, we have left a loophole open for VIP customers who absolutely do not want anyone else doing their swap except for us. We only consider projects that are of interest to me personally, usually, and yes, we do charge a premium for making the exception.

Thank you all for your understanding. We continue to support the 1JZ/2JZ swap market with our wiring conversion services, and are happy to announce that we are nearly ready to release a new product into the marketplace, a BRAND NEW 2JZ/SC300 WIRING HARNESS, requiring no cores at all and using all new oem parts, for less money than a new 2JZ Supra harness from Toyota! Stay tuned

-Dr Tweak, Tweak'd Performance LLC
Old 08-10-11, 09:06 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The guys saying the swap "should" cost 5-6k for a shop to do.... is that 5-6k for labor provided you give them the car AND the engine? Or 5-6k INCLUDING the price of the engine?
Old 08-10-11, 09:10 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tweak
happy to announce that we are nearly ready to release a new product into the marketplace, a BRAND NEW 2JZ/SC300 WIRING HARNESS, requiring no cores at all and using all new oem parts, for less money than a new 2JZ Supra harness from Toyota! Stay tuned

DAMN! SCweeeeeeet!

Is it gonna cost alot more than people sending you their own harnesses for you to modify? I was just getting ready to call you guys up in a little bit!

I am really interested, please post a thread on here when the product is finalized, it will help many people!
Old 08-10-11, 09:12 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

The price quoted to the OP was for EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING means E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. He drops the car off to us, and we have everything needed for the swap waiting for him. I will also mention this, Dr. Tweak and I have discussed doing a 2JZ swap to my personal SC300 and MY COST on everything needed to do the swap CORRECTLY without cutting corners is still almost $10K. Do some research on these engines swaps, and how much a correctly done swap actually costs. You'll be astounded.
-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
Old 08-10-11, 09:19 AM
Dr. Tweak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
DAMN! SCweeeeeeet!

Is it gonna cost alot more than people sending you their own harnesses for you to modify? I was just getting ready to call you guys up in a little bit!
It will cost more than the basic conversion service, but a lot of times these Aristo harnesses have a lot of damaged connectors and/or wiring, and then the price adds up quick so in some cases our NEW harness will actually be cheaper!

As it is right now we are able to build BRAND NEW 2JZ harnesses, but we still require and SC300 core harness to be sent in.

-Doc
Old 08-10-11, 09:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

This new harness sounds interesting. I'm not too familiar with how this stuff works, but I was wondering if this new harness would work instead of using an Aristo harness for a JDM 2JZ-GTE swap? I want to do a swap eventually, but most engines I see either don't have the correct harness or have messed up wires.
Old 08-10-11, 10:11 AM
Dr. Tweak
Driver School Candidate

Correct, you wouldn't even need a complete Aristo harness with your engine. Just buy the complete new harness and plug it in, and you're done. No sending in anything.

As a clarification we can do this RIGHT NOW but we do need core SC harnesses. We will soon be able to supply the SC side as well so nothing has to be sent in at all, but that will come later this year.
Old 08-10-11, 01:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was about to say, it sounds like they are already busy and don't care to do the work. I have had several businesses quote me outrageous prices just so I would go away. Most of the time, I would rather just hear a straight, "We are not interested in doing the work". Even so, it is every persons right to charge whatever they want for their services.
Old 08-10-11, 10:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tweak
Hi everybody!

First of all I'd like to assure you that none of my employees are morons or on drugs Please direct your attention to the services page our website, www.tweakdperformance.com :

"Effective January 1st, 2011 we no longer offer engine swap services, except by special request. If you would like your project to be considered you may email a written request to us at sales@tweakdperformance.com."

Unfortunately we have had to stop offering engine swap services simply because we have so much other work coming in. Despite what you may think, engine swaps really don't make our business any money because of the huge number of hours involved in doing a swap properly and getting all the details perfect. That said, we have left a loophole open for VIP customers who absolutely do not want anyone else doing their swap except for us. We only consider projects that are of interest to me personally, usually, and yes, we do charge a premium for making the exception.

Thank you all for your understanding. We continue to support the 1JZ/2JZ swap market with our wiring conversion services, and are happy to announce that we are nearly ready to release a new product into the marketplace, a BRAND NEW 2JZ/SC300 WIRING HARNESS, requiring no cores at all and using all new oem parts, for less money than a new 2JZ Supra harness from Toyota! Stay tuned

you know just because your not really interested in doing the work doesnt mean you should try to rip people off when they come to you .

You could easily charge half of that price and still come out way ahead.

Personally im not sure I would deal with a company that is trying to take such extreme advantage of customers.

Either you are in the engine swapping busines or your not.
Old 08-10-11, 11:56 PM
tsanhd
Driver School Candidate

^I agree, yes Dr. Tweak is very respectable guy, I am sure a lot of people have dealt and can vouche for him.

But still doesn't justify whats basically a direct swap besides the wire harness (you can buy the usdm harness makes the swap much easier) and few misc things here and there that can be done with a couple buddies and a 12 pack of beer in a small garage.

If you're not interested in doing the work then don't charge the customer out the *** just because its an exception, don't do it at all or recommend him somewhere else.
Old 08-11-11, 02:48 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wait u called some shop? or dr tweak? if you called tweak, it shouldnt be any more than 500 bucks at all for any harness to be make if its 15k for engine swap and all that, they are on crack!
Old 08-11-11, 03:34 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys aren't reading between the lines...

After Tweak chimed in, his intentions became very clear... he doesn't WANT to do any swaps because he makes much more of a profit fabricating wiring harnesses. However, at the same time, he has a hard time saying "no".

So if somebody comes along with a very thick wallet and wants Dr. Tweak to perform the swap and NO ONE else (for whatever reason that may possibly be)... Dr. Tweak will still do it and he'll charge a premium.

So rest assured, we haven't lost Tweak and his employees to strippers and cocaine. Their minds are still in functioning order. If no one wants to cough up 16k for a 1JZ swap, that's perfectly fine with Tweak. It's exactly what he wants!

He's still the "go-to" guy for wiring work so don't be hesitant to ask for that instead.
Old 08-11-11, 05:06 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats insanely high. I am still thinking 700 is too high to do some wiring. Thats just crazy!

Quick Reply: Stock 1JZ swap $15,000???