Stock 1JZ swap $15,000???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 05:36 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Crazy.

"EVERYTHING" means nothing.

Engine/ECU/Trans/Harness/Engine mounts/Exhaust cost me $1450.

My car? $500 1992 Sc300.

There is this little thing called Google. Yeah, it also has wiring schematics. Wired myself.

Total investment? $2000

So since it has a 1JZ installed, I can sell it for $18k because Tweak Said so! YEAYER!

Oh I get it. So if you want an engine swap they will "do it", but for a ridiculous amount of money, to get you to go away.

Since it's a business, the main goal is to thwart potential customers away. Everyone knows that.

This is so they can "Concentrate" on Harnesses that are also way too overpriced?

WOW. Means W-O-W.
Old 08-11-11, 05:46 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have a really hard time working on the electrical aspect of the car. As far as his pricing for wiring, I think it's actually closer to around $400-500 which isn't too bad for those of us who are diagram retarded, have attention deficit disorder, or have OCD with really crappy soldering skills.

Yeah, it could be done much cheaper; it could be done yourself. But there's obviously a market out there, otherwise his business wouldn't be thriving.

As long as a business isn't stealing from their customers or being dishonest with them, it's fine how much they charge. The customer still has final say on whether or not they wanna pay for a service so there's absolutely no harm.
Old 08-11-11, 05:50 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am all of those things, so there is really no excuse.

Toyota FSM, the Internet and a Mutli-meter and anyone can do it, which should probably be realized to shops like this.

You don't make money on the Kill. You make money on the comeback.

Last edited by spoolxexo; 08-11-11 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:09 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed one of the previous members posted a comment mentioning calling TDC (Top Dead Center) since they are also within reasonable distance from the OP. Go ahead. Call them, see what their price is. I've already spoken with Chris Edwards about this. You'll want to be sitting when you make the call. Or even call Sonny at SCPerformance in Columbia. Also, remain seated for that phone call as well.
Old 08-11-11, 07:26 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

As much as it is entertaining to see people offer advice on doing a swap " it wont cost you more than a few thousand" .. i still dont see how its 15k.
heres an example..
take a cavalier, drop in a 3400 and trans from a grandam - have you done it before? no so theres a learning curve.. a few more hours than someone may want to pay for but still lets say 100$ an hour. 40 hours? thats FAR more than ANYONE needs.. 40 hours of work.
ok so $4000,
lets say we get a more expensive engine transmission new mounts say we even replace the timing belt and stuff while we are at it..
Engine $2000, maint and other parts $1500, Transmission $1000.

ok and these are being Reasonable numbers here noone needs more time to replace mounts cuz the darned engine will be out of the car remember, so will the new engine when replacing other maint. items.

so what are we at $8500 -
ok lets just through in some extra profit for fun.. $1500 - so $10,000

Dont see where you can lie about the other $5000.

Now since the 1j 2j swaps have been done time and time again, and im sure you guys have done them. there shouldnt be any learning curve..
and again the $100/hr labour rate may be a bit low? but if it is... you have that extra 1500$ and thats still giving you 40 hours..
sooo
give us a breakdown of how YOU see $15000

otherwise posting in this thread saying you dont want to do it, and this price includes everything, doenst help your case.
where is this $5000 coming from?

Now Ok i can see maybe, where if the kid wants
Stainless steel lines everywhere, some 2000$ exhaust.. but when I read stock.
i read..
you guys can fabricate up your own dumppipes or get stock ones.. a few hundred buck and maybe a few hours labour. if you had to use more than 40..
but i dont read, he wants crazy Titan everything, greddy cams and steel built turbos..
i read stock/oem dime a dozen parts.

Last edited by soarer93; 08-11-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:33 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Here's a novel thought...if you don't like the price...don't do it! Tweak still has a very good reputation for what he does, and people are willing to pay the price for his work.

Sure many people can do it on their own, but other simply cannot. It's just a fact of life, they either cannot grasp the concept or they just don't want to.
Old 08-11-11, 07:50 AM
94LEXUS400
Driver

15-18k will buy me mint condition 2J-GTE supra with 6 speed...isnt it easy to drop in 2j or 1j into sc300 anyways? @.@
Old 08-11-11, 07:53 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could understand 15000 if the swap. included a single turbo setup and a sfac, bigger injectors and full exhaust system.

but honestly. 5 to 6 grand should be the most it should cost to do a stock swap.

if you are talkin about using a new harness. thats cheating to me. anyone can do that then. im sure you could even use a USDM 2jz harness and make ajumper to run a 1jz even

Last edited by DoomLight; 08-11-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:59 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

This is all very true for a shop who "wants" to do it and makes a decent profit at doing so.

Tweak doesn't want to do it unless he really has to or it's for a VIP client. Therefore, he can charge whatever the hell he wants and if the person says yes then he'll do it. If not, it really doesn't matter to him since he has a successful other side of the business.
Old 08-11-11, 08:11 AM
Dr. Tweak
Driver School Candidate

Hi again everyone, and thank you all for the kind comments. I would like to especially thank VinSCe for comprehending where we are coming from and helping to articulate that to everyone else here.

To answer soarer93's question, that quote given would not have been for a "stock" setup the way you are describing it. When we do swaps here I am very specific about how I want certain things done, I go over each of these little details with my customers beforehand and keep them updated during the process. In fact all of my customers get a spreadsheet, which we build as we do the swap, detailing line by line exactly what parts we bought, what we are charging them, how many hours we worked on the car and specifically what was done in that time, etc.

A 2JZ/SC300 swap done in the ~$15k range would include such things as, for example, a complete reseal of the engine (replacing all seals, gaskets, and so on), new timing belt and water pump, new hoses, Garrett high-density intercooler, custom front-mounted with polished aluminum piping, t-bolt clamps, and 4-ply silicone couplings, including hump hoses where needed, custom true cold air intake, full custom-built turbo-back 3" stainless steel dual exhaust, new clutch kit, HKS bov, fuel pump, lightweight pulley kit, ARP flywheel bolts, electronic boost controller, stainless braided lines where new lines are needed, new engine mounts, and a boost gauge. Just as a partial list off the top of my head.

As many of you who have done your own swaps can attest, the number of hours involved in doing a swap properly, including doing all of the above work, add up very quickly to much more than any of us expect early on in the project. As an example, we have a 2JZ/SC300 swap going on at our shop right now, one of the few projects I've determined to take on this year, and we currently have 65 hours into the project and it's not done yet. However we are very meticulous and put a priority on clean, quality work over just "getting the job done and getting it out the door", which I think we can all agree there is way to much of going on out there already.

Thank you all again and I appreciate everyone keeping the conversation civilized. I realize that some of us have different points of view and I'd like to let those who disagree with me know that I don't judge or look down on anyone who does their own swap, in fact I encourage it! I've been preaching for years that if you are going to own a swap, you should know how to work on it because things will always come up. The inspiration behind doing plug and play wiring by mail order came from the do-it-yourself swappers out there, and you all have my respect and gratitude. Here's to many more years of service to you!

-Dr. Tweak, Tweak'd Performance LLC
Old 08-11-11, 09:06 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Thats great clarification -
OP's thread is entitled Stock 1jz - which i suppose to us means no 1000-3000 exhaust, and the like for the 'performance' upgrades..

Either there was a lack of communication with Shop and OP or OP just doesnt know how to explain via thread..
probably a bit of both in reality.
Old 08-11-11, 10:15 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

at the end of the day whether their prices are to high or to low everyone has a business to run if you don't like the price keep it moving till you find something in your range.......
Old 08-11-11, 12:15 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

15K is more than fair for everything he had listed.

And i have seen his work, it's not half A***ed, and it's clean.

This is not a $500 engine swap guys come on lol.
Old 08-11-11, 01:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tweak

A 2JZ/SC300 swap done in the ~$15k range would include such things as, for example, a complete reseal of the engine (replacing all seals, gaskets, and so on), new timing belt and water pump, new hoses, Garrett high-density intercooler, custom front-mounted with polished aluminum piping, t-bolt clamps, and 4-ply silicone couplings, including hump hoses where needed, custom true cold air intake, full custom-built turbo-back 3" stainless steel dual exhaust, new clutch kit, HKS bov, fuel pump, lightweight pulley kit, ARP flywheel bolts, electronic boost controller, stainless braided lines where new lines are needed, new engine mounts, and a boost gauge. Just as a partial list off the top of my head.

-Dr. Tweak, Tweak'd Performance LLC
Well im not trying to be hard on anyone or be negative for no reason but the Op did not call and ask for any of these extra mods that you are now claiming is routine in your engine swap process.

I find it very hard to belive that everytime you swap out an engine you add all of these expensive mods, he called about an engine swap and thats it.

Op chime back in and lets hear the real story.
Old 08-11-11, 01:13 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

who cares? why is this still being debated? Mod please close this thread. We've heard Tweak's side, which he did respectfully, and we've everyone else respond.

Quick Reply: Stock 1JZ swap $15,000???