SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stock 1JZ swap $15,000???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 01:36 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88supramki
who cares? why is this still being debated? Mod please close this thread. We've heard Tweak's side, which he did respectfully, and we've everyone else respond.
HAHA You said it all
Old 08-11-11, 01:55 PM
Dr. Tweak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 1WILLY1, thanks for your comment. I don't think you're being negative, it's perfectly fine to ask for more clarification. To answer your question, please reference my post #40 in this thread:

"When we do swaps here I am very specific about how I want certain things done, I go over each of these little details with my customers beforehand and keep them updated during the process."

As said I am very specific about how I want to do certain things and if a customer wants an engine swap done but they don't want it done what I feel is "the right way", then I'm simply not interested in doing it. So yes, we do in fact do everything on that list on every swap that we do (or we don't do the swap). It's certainly fair to speculate that the OP did not get into asking exactly what was and was not included in the swap, if the price tag was simply out of the question for him then the conversation probably did not go that far.

-Dr Tweak, Tweak'd Performance LLC
Old 08-11-11, 02:02 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsanhd
lol wtf, my charged me $1200 to do my 1jz swap. I provided a complete engine set and use a usdm harness. Everything cost me around $2-2.5K total in parts for engine and misc things. Total I spent was about $3.5kishh area.
so you didn't do any AFTERMARKET part's?? like exhaust, downpipe?? alum radiator?? are you running ac??

my swap in parts alone will be about $3,500. maybe because iam doing a 400 and i have to make it a manual(for me thats an automatic 1k). do you already have a 5spd in the car??
Old 08-11-11, 03:23 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
so you didn't do any AFTERMARKET part's?? like exhaust, downpipe?? alum radiator?? are you running ac??

my swap in parts alone will be about $3,500. maybe because iam doing a 400 and i have to make it a manual(for me thats an automatic 1k). do you already have a 5spd in the car??
No need for aftermarket upgrades for a stock swap with stock boost.

You have an SC400, you bought a Chaser 1JZ, you bought a blown 2JZ-GE correct? That brings up the cost quite a bit.

I'd reckon you could DIY a stock Soarer 1JZ SC3 auto swap for 3k.
Old 08-11-11, 04:25 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine for a little over 3k doing everything myself. If you can source an engine yourself, you're probably looking at about $500 for extra parts, and maybe a couple grand for labor. I did my swap in a little over a week, just working a few hours a day back when I was 18 and had only done stuff like brakes, spark plugs, and oil changes before. Still running fine (for the most part) 3 years and 60k miles later.
Old 08-11-11, 05:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tweak
Hi 1WILLY1, thanks for your comment. I don't think you're being negative, it's perfectly fine to ask for more clarification. To answer your question, please reference my post #40 in this thread:

"When we do swaps here I am very specific about how I want certain things done, I go over each of these little details with my customers beforehand and keep them updated during the process."

As said I am very specific about how I want to do certain things and if a customer wants an engine swap done but they don't want it done what I feel is "the right way", then I'm simply not interested in doing it. So yes, we do in fact do everything on that list on every swap that we do (or we don't do the swap). It's certainly fair to speculate that the OP did not get into asking exactly what was and was not included in the swap, if the price tag was simply out of the question for him then the conversation probably did not go that far.

-Dr Tweak, Tweak'd Performance LLC
Thanks Dr.Tweak ,

the reason I ask is because if you explained this to the Op about all of the nice mods that are included then i do not see why he would make this thread, from all the parts and mods you mentioned it starts to make more sense as to why your price was $15000.

I re-read the op's original post and he does say it included 'everything'.

He should of told us what everything meant and perhaps we would not have been so quick to judge here.

I would still like to OP to come back to let us know if in fact he was told of all these mods being included in the swap, because if so then he mislead us and the thread was completely pointless.

Thanks
Old 08-11-11, 06:52 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

First of all i understand businesses are in business to make money and i have no problem paying a FAIR PRICE for the work performed however having said that.....

Originally Posted by TweakTech
The price quoted to the OP was for EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING means E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. He drops the car off to us, and we have everything needed for the swap waiting for him. I will also mention this, Dr. Tweak and I have discussed doing a 2JZ swap to my personal SC300 and MY COST on everything needed to do the swap CORRECTLY without cutting corners is still almost $10K. Do some research on these engines swaps, and how much a correctly done swap actually costs. You'll be astounded.

Funny cause i called TITAN and they quoted me $12k for a complete 2JZ GTE swap into a 2GS which included EVERYTHING including a front mount BOV and boost contoller with working A/C and cruise.... i guess TITAN must be cutting corners???

Originally Posted by TweakTech
I noticed one of the previous members posted a comment mentioning calling TDC (Top Dead Center) since they are also within reasonable distance from the OP. Go ahead. Call them, see what their price is. I've already spoken with Chris Edwards about this. You'll want to be sitting when you make the call. Or even call Sonny at SCPerformance in Columbia. Also, remain seated for that phone call as well.

I wouldnt let TDC touch any of my cars with a 10 foot pole... and as far as sonny goes.. ive know him and his brothers since before SC performance even existed and he has always treated me fairly and been reasonable with pricing... i guarentee he wont charge $15k for a stock 1J swap.

To answer soarer93's question, that quote given would not have been for a "stock" setup the way you are describing it. When we do swaps here I am very specific about how I want certain things done.
Last time i checked the person that owns the car and is paying for the work should be the one who decides what they want done not you.

A 2JZ/SC300 swap done in the ~$15k range would include such things as, for example, a complete reseal of the engine (replacing all seals, gaskets, and so on), new timing belt and water pump, new hoses, Garrett high-density intercooler, custom front-mounted with polished aluminum piping, t-bolt clamps, and 4-ply silicone couplings, including hump hoses where needed, custom true cold air intake, full custom-built turbo-back 3" stainless steel dual exhaust, new clutch kit, HKS bov, fuel pump, lightweight pulley kit, ARP flywheel bolts, electronic boost controller, stainless braided lines where new lines are needed, new engine mounts, and a boost gauge. Just as a partial list off the top of my head.
First of all no one asked for a 2jz swap, i asked for a quote on a STOCK AUTOMATIC 1JZ SWAP I didnt ask for nor want a quote on a garrett intercooler/polished piping,custom cold air intake,custom exhaust... also please explain where you would be putting a clutch and ARP flywheel bolts???? I didnt want a electronic boost controller nor a boost guage etc I WANTED A PRICE ON PUTTING IN A STOCK AUTOMATIC 1JZ SWAP, WITH STOCK BOOST,STOCK EXHAUST,STOCK SIDE MOUNT INTERCOOLER IN AN SC , so now you are grasping at straws making stuff up trying to justify your INSANE RIPOFF price. Hell you dont even need to do any wiring you can drill a small hole in the firewall to feed the plugs through and mount the ECU behind the dash.

Bottom line is that you need to take a business ethics course, if you dont want to do the work then just be up front and say it, the right thing to do is try to help recommend somewhere else to go instead of quoting an assrape price and then try to justify it by making up un neccasary parts thrown in that were never discussed nor asked for. But dont worry because now i see how you treat potential customers im gonna make sure to go out of my way to tell everyone that even mentions Dr. tweak about your shady *** business, I love how back when you were still doing swaps you stated on supraforums youll do wiring harness's for $200 on post #42 here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pra-n-a/page2& Yet now you gouge Lexus owners for tripple or more... Maybe ill order one of your harness's copy it and start making my own and sell them on here for $200 as an APPROVED VENDOR (which YOU ARE NOT)

Originally Posted by 88supramki
who cares? why is this still being debated? Mod please close this thread. We've heard Tweak's side, which he did respectfully, and we've everyone else respond.
Last time i checked this was MY thread and id like to respond so please take your useless 2 cents elsewhere and mind your own business.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Thanks Dr.Tweak ,
the reason I ask is because if you explained this to the Op about all of the nice mods that are included then i do not see why he would make this thread, from all the parts and mods you mentioned it starts to make more sense as to why your price was $15000.
I re-read the op's original post and he does say it included 'everything'.
He should of told us what everything meant and perhaps we would not have been so quick to judge here.
I would still like to OP to come back to let us know if in fact he was told of all these mods being included in the swap, because if so then he mislead us and the thread was completely pointless.

Nothing was mentioned about any of these "extra" parts on the phone, i asked for a STOCK AUTOMATIC 1JZ SWAP installed and running period.
I didnt want any of that extra stuff because i can do it all myself on the weekend, hell i could do the swap myself if i had the time but i work 2 jobs 60+hrs a week and have my daughter on the weekend so i just dont have time for larger projects like a swap.

They are only saying this now to try to cover their *** to attemt to justify their insane price.... their story keeps changing... first its a 1j swap... then its a manual 2j swap with BPU mods.. next its gonna be TT gallardo swap!!

I was also told i couldnt do the swap myself for $5k, i bet 90% of the 1j swaps on this forum cost under $5k weather done at home or at a shop.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-11-11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:04 PM
LexmanBLY
Pole Position

LOL there's a mint rsp 99 gs with a 2jz-gte swap for sale for that price in my area.
Old 08-11-11, 07:18 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TESTIFY mah Brotha! i think i almost shed a tear with all those quoted replies.
Old 08-11-11, 08:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,363 Posts

OK guys, non-approved vendor posting a lot of sales details in this thread.

Dr Tweak / TweakTech, reminder you need to sign up to be an approved vendor sponsor to do business or advertise on Club Lexus.