SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Best year and model to Mod with tight budget? What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 11:17 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the on-board diagnostics system, where u can plug in a scanner to read what Check Engine Light code you got. OBD1 is the old version which usually requires car/make specific scanners. OBD2 was mandated in 1996 i believe and has a universal scanner found at any napa/autozone for rent.
Old 08-12-11, 01:21 AM
azndan2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97+ looks the best...
Old 08-12-11, 05:07 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hil
99-00 sc400
This.

Considering SC300 and SC400 doesn't gain significant amount of horse power with budget oriented mods, you should look for an SC that has good power to begin with. Right out of the box, 99-00 SC400 are rated 280hp and that should be enough to keep you entertained until you have some money set aside to do major mods. In the mean time, BFI (Big F***ing Intake), and exhaust are great mods you can do that are noticeable.

Also, you're actually saving by buying a 97+ model because many SC owners eventually update the exterior to 97+ style. I've personally spent quite a lot to convert my 95 to have 97+ exterior to the point where I could have simply picked up 97+ models and have money left to do some mods.

But really, SC is not a cheap car to restore/maintain so be prepare to spend some unexpected cash when working on one.
Old 08-12-11, 05:20 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
You must not have seen the prices of Honda's lately, go on the honda forums and look what they sell for you will be SHOCKED. you can get a MUCH cleaner SC for the same price as a ragged civic/integra.
Well your right..I dnt know what Honda civics really sell for (not that I want to know) but I would say (for 95-01) u can probably pick one up between 2 - 8k....i seen guys buys mods and stuff off the shelf for hondas...but you may be right a good modded out one's price may be suprising and put dwn some good power....

but if he spending 10K out the door, that shoud get him a nice SC and engine swap no prob

But none the less you cnt tell me the honda is going to be more expensive to restore/mod than an SC

**If you let a honda civic beat ur SC its time to change ur engine or sell ur car***

Last edited by shboni; 08-12-11 at 06:48 AM. Reason: na
Old 08-12-11, 06:43 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

damn no love for hondas... lol

@uras300 im pretty sure the sc400 ur talking about, 98+, is 290hp not 280. just sayin, not being rude.
Old 08-12-11, 07:00 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on another forum with a ton of Honda fan boys...I can't even get them to consider that the SC is a good car. It goes both ways.
Old 08-12-11, 08:22 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say the newer sc, the better. Think about it ,you get 92 and you'll have to make it reliable first ,change all the bushings, shocks ,interior parts,seats ,starter,ball joints.....believe me once you change all that you won't have time, money or any more patience to deal with this car.

When i had 240 sx i didn't have even half of worries than sc.The more luxuries you have, the more luxuries break ,lol
Old 08-12-11, 09:23 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
I'd say the newer sc, the better. Think about it ,you get 92 and you'll have to make it reliable first ,change all the bushings, shocks ,interior parts,seats ,starter,ball joints.....believe me once you change all that you won't have time, money or any more patience to deal with this car.

When i had 240 sx i didn't have even half of worries than sc.The more luxuries you have, the more luxuries break ,lol
True true....

You would think the more expensive toyota products would hold up better... so that means my 93 toyota pickup (DD) will last longer than my 92 lexus sc300....Facepalm
Old 08-12-11, 01:28 PM
xwingzero2
Pole Position

No love for hondas is right. We drive a Lexus lmfao. I'd go with 97+ becuz of there the last models made and u don't have to mode that match if ur on tight budget
Old 08-12-11, 01:48 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

If you on a budget and want a clean looking sc, do what everyone says....buy a 97+ in good condition both cosmetically and mechanical. prices i seen lately are real cheap...next get Supra polished wheels and supra springs/shocks....n im sure you will have cash left over for a exhaust or nice touch screen radio/dvd headunit to make it look and feel more updated.

By the way, what is your budget??? That will determine everything lol...GL!
Old 08-12-11, 03:20 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

my 0.02 goes to getting a newer one as well, id do exactly what the guy above me said.
Old 08-12-11, 04:58 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

It all depends on what it is you're trying to do. Say you're on a budget but you want a sleeper. Get a higher mileage 92 SC3 5 speed and run a small turbo setup making 350whp for under 10k. Do you want a classy car that the girls will see and go oooh? Get a 2000 400, supra shocks and struts and a set of rims, and have the interior re-done. It's all subjective. But if you want power, stick to the SC3's, much easier to make more power for your money compared to the 400.
Old 08-12-11, 09:08 PM
scweet9373
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 and a 97 sc300,even though parts to restore or mod out will not come cheap but depending on your budget and what skills and knowledge you may have will effect your build or project.If you dont have any of those well paying someone else will cost even more....and yes I was a honda guy at one time "700hp accord" which is definitly not a cheap build either but there are so many hondas out there that parts where easier to find at better prices....anyways I'd have to say the 97 plus is a good buy for your buck bc its all there as far as outside appearance...drop it and put some staggered wheels on it and keep it clean thats jus my opinion...find one with a good body bc that will save you alot of money in the long run I dont care what anyone says everyone jugdes a book by its cover even if the car dont run..lol....dont get me wrong the OBD1 sc's still have much love too ..lol they can look just as good.But definitly do your home work on these cars, with all sc lovers will tell ya you will become a ebay,craiglist *****,and anywhere you can find lexus sc parts at a decent price...good luck on your sc!!
Old 08-12-11, 09:15 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

1995 Honda Civic or any other POS budget car...

A tight budget and a Lexus SC do not go together - ever - NO EXCEPTIONS, do the rest of us a favor trying to restore the few left that aren't getting slammed into walls by the idiot amateur drifters who think they are the new 240SX.

Sorry for the negative comment but I've seen three SC's around here that have popped up by the local car guys that have ZERO business in them (they are literally destroying them every day they own it with their budget modifications like cheap *** eBay rotors, and spray painted head lights tail lights etc).

Last edited by TechGreek; 08-12-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-13-11, 08:26 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

find a one owner 97+ with service records, i wouldnt be scared of high miles as long as they can prove the service was kept up. the prices on these cars have dropped like a rock, 10 k should get you a super clean late model sc.

Quick Reply: Best year and model to Mod with tight budget? What to do first?