SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New stearing wheel options for SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-02, 10:11 AM
zenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stearing wheel options for SC400?

hi all

anyone know what options are available for new stearing wheels for a sc400?

the stock stearing wheel is butt ugly !!

Last edited by zenn; 09-22-02 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-22-02, 05:09 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search and look in the group buy section. The best thus far is american-stitches. Mike (Manaray), is working on a GS transplant. Other than that, you can do other aftermarket options, but realize you have to replace the airbag and you are usually talking $1K+ to do it. Just do a search this topic has been well covered.
Old 09-23-02, 04:02 AM
DeadRinger
Rookie

I'm curious if the new GX470 steering wheel will fit... I love the way it looks. anyone know?
Old 09-23-02, 12:34 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a few options for a new wheel. one way would just be to buy a new Lexus steering wheel for the SC. Another way would be to do what manaray has done (what Ryan was referring to). Manaray HAS installed a GS steering wheel into his SC4. Do a search fro it...there r pics. Another way would be to find someone in Japan that would be willing to send you a Soarer wheel. Someone here did it not to long ago and it looked awesome, plus its VERY VERY rare. try doing a search.
Old 09-24-02, 06:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any steering wheel that uses a 2-stage airbag (2001+ GS's, etc.) will not work on the single stage cars in terms of airbag compatibility. No way, no how. Completely different system. However, the steering wheel ITSELF will bolt on...but w/o a airbag, it's pretty lame (and dangerous).

I have put on a GS ('98-'00) steering wheel on my SC and it works perfectly (bolts right on). The cruise control needs to be either modified or swapped out. I chose to modify the GS one since it's a little smaller and sleeker looking. Plus, I wasn't sure if the SC one would bolt in correctly and match up with the cover...if I ever get the airbag to work correctly (read below), I will post a how-to on modding the cruise control stalk.

The only thing holding me back in the airbag connector and the voltages on the airbag. No one is able to get me the information about the electrical end of the airbag....I don't know if the GS one will go off in a SC in crash. That's kinda scary. I know I can modify the connector correctly (well, I'm 90% sure) but if there is a voltage difference, well then that airbag with either never go off or it'll go off at random for whatever reason (say turning the car on or turning off the radio or whatever)...I don't know how the airbag system is wired in so I can't analyze it.

I am working on getting a set of factory Tech manuals for the GS and SC to see if that kind of info is in there...

Now, I know the next question that's coming up (well, maybe)...how do you get the newer style "chrome logo" steering wheel in there...well, if can get the airbag information, I have a solution...
Old 09-24-02, 12:24 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Finally...

zenn

Someone who knows how to correctly spell "stearing"!

Steer, an animal.

Stear, directional control.

Not that it really matters anymore.
Old 09-24-02, 01:39 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

no, no..

steer IS correct!

steer1 Pronunciation Key (st?)
v. steered, steer¡¤ing, steers
v. tr.
To guide by means of a device such as a rudder, paddle, or wheel.

To direct the course of. See Synonyms at conduct.
To maneuver (a person) into a place or course of action. See Synonyms at guide.

v. intr.
To guide a vessel or vehicle.
To follow or move in a set course.
To admit of being steered or guided: a craft that steers easily.