Autocrossing the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 10:02 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
the SC is as competitive as this in Auto-X

Very true!! The sc is a bad car for auto x as my sc300 5 speed and my almost stock evo were 11 seconds apart and I drove both of them on the same day at the same auto x and I should mention I have been auto xing with the scca for 10+ years so driver error was not an issue, I felt like I was auto xing a school bus when in the sc
Old 08-16-11, 08:40 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
your friend dosent know how to drive. You do realize that 97 vette has torsion bar type suspension? You cannot put it on coilovers.
I had the advantage of a 5spd while he's auto, which I think makes a huge difference in the most important part of driving on tracks, which is exiting turns. As for the suspension, I told him about that, but he claims there are kits, which I don't doubt!
Old 08-16-11, 09:12 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Come on guys lets make real comparisons please. Not trying to be rude. If you plan on autox with your sc expect the following rather na or modified.

You will lose to a evo, miata, buggy, civic, integra, modified 240sx. Keep in mind these have to only be decent to good drivers. You can beat them, but you have to be a great driver.

Vette, mustang, pontiac, etc.... You will have a better chance.

Please Think of the platform you have. Then power to weight. Then wheel base. Then go out and have fun.

I personally compete against my friends who autox buggies and I finally been able to get within 3 seconds of their slowest time. That's with my modified suspension, 1jz with gt35r, great tires, bucket seat, and lots of luck. Of yea and 3 years of trash talking. Hope this helps everyone understand sc is a great car with more seat time than modifications.
Old 08-16-11, 09:56 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I never looked at the SC as an autocross car..
Old 08-16-11, 05:35 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the sc would do pretty good. I want to go to as many events as I can next year (drift and autocross). At the end of the day even if it doesnt keep up with other cars at least you improve your skills...
Old 08-16-11, 11:56 PM
jamdun17
Driver School Candidate

Autox is all about the driver, i took a dead stock down to the paper filter lancer and beat out a honda fit on slicks along with many other cars that are much more capable (i won DS). Biggest things is going into the right class, Stock classes can run slicks so dont think its easy, run in ST classes to try and be more competitive and allows for some modification. if your in street mod, prepare to get your *** handed to you...
if its your first time, go into novice, get an instructor and have fun.
PS everyone walks the course, sure as hell way to show your a rookie is not to.

Oh HELLO everyone im a noob!
Old 08-17-11, 12:52 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Do you suggest increased engine cooling system or oil and tranny cooling too?

After searching, wasn't sure about this; do they make oil/tranny cooling systems specific to car or would any universal oil/tranny cooling kit work?
Originally Posted by cmh
being a ex autoX'er my self, i say the sc will do well seeing as its rear wheel drive. the weight of the car wont matter much if u drive well. one thing i do suggest is, from personal experience, a battery tie down and more cooling. try and get urself soem good fans and maintain ur car with oil change and top of the line fluids. autoX puts a lot of strain on ur cars engine and suspension so be prepared to fix crap frequently. Good tires are a must so make sure u have two sets of rims because u dont want to waste ur good tires on regurlar driving seeing as if u autoX as much as i used to, ur track tires shouldnt last u more then 6 months. GL

SCCA woot woot! :P
Old 08-17-11, 06:55 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i would use a tranny cooler too... not sure if there is a vehicle specific... i doubt it but im guessing ur auto.... i would use a universal one... and i say cool as in think everything cold... cold air intake, heat wrap, actuall coolant tthat is good like peak, upgraded fans(i had flex a lite there awes0me), trans cooler.... im telling u from my experience. i know some ppl will say u dont need it but been there done that and professionals that being doing this there whole life will tell u im right.

my wifes granpa has been doing scca for so long its stupid his 65 now and still does it. he races in the porche class and his car is almost stock accept for these upgrades im telling u about.
Old 08-17-11, 07:01 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I think it would do much better on road courses than auto-x.
Old 08-17-11, 07:04 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
whats a road course? imm not being a smart *** i swear... ive just heard some ppl call auto x a road course too.
Old 08-17-11, 09:07 AM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

damn i wish i could afford to mod my car right now (curse my lack of a job) but i want to do autocross and road racing (live 2 hours away from sebring). but its gunna be a while before i can do either, i have a completely stock auto sc300 with some problems that need to be fixed before i can even start modding the car.
Old 08-17-11, 01:33 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmh
whats a road course? imm not being a smart *** i swear... ive just heard some ppl call auto x a road course too.
A full blown track. Think "Road Atlanta" vs. a parking lot with cones.
Old 08-17-11, 02:52 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

sweat where in fl are those
Old 08-17-11, 03:00 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-17-11, 03:22 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this is probably very true. Ive done both, but never auto X the SC.

Here's a link to some of my vids.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-or-drag.html

Sway bars, Strut tower bars, BBK, will make a big differance.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing the SC?