SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 GTE or Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 06:34 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next person that says the pricing of a Supra is STILL affected by a cheesy movie from 10 years ago is getting shot. Believe that.

The fact is they are rare (low supply) still desirable based on modern looks, performance, durability, etc (high demand) and as long as raw PARTS for a 6 speed remain as valuable as they are (replacement cost) pricing will stay where it's at and continue to increase in fact. When you can buy a TT 6 speed and STRIP it to get about 20k why would you sell a tt 6 speed for less?

So moving on... emissions is a big deal for some, but if you're going for a 700whp car emissions is just not going to happen. So at that point it's all a matter of taste. Do you want an open top? Get the supra. Do you want something less flashy/noticable? Get the SC. Do you care about it holding value over time? Supra. Do you like more of a big open luxury cockpit, or more of a "jet" kind of feel? If jet - supra, if open luxury - SC. Are you okay with something that someone else has HEAVILY modded already (yes a bone stock tt 6 speed swap in an SC is a "heavily" moddified car) or do you want to start with something that's almost entirely factory installed then go from there?

Just weigh your options. There's no wrong answer, just depends on what you want. I love both of my cars
Old 08-19-11, 07:37 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
Next person that says the pricing of a Supra is STILL affected by a cheesy movie from 10 years ago is getting shot. Believe that.

The fact is they are rare (low supply) still desirable based on modern looks, performance, durability, etc (high demand) and as long as raw PARTS for a 6 speed remain as valuable as they are (replacement cost) pricing will stay where it's at and continue to increase in fact. When you can buy a TT 6 speed and STRIP it to get about 20k why would you sell a tt 6 speed for less?

So moving on... emissions is a big deal for some, but if you're going for a 700whp car emissions is just not going to happen. So at that point it's all a matter of taste. Do you want an open top? Get the supra. Do you want something less flashy/noticable? Get the SC. Do you care about it holding value over time? Supra. Do you like more of a big open luxury cockpit, or more of a "jet" kind of feel? If jet - supra, if open luxury - SC. Are you okay with something that someone else has HEAVILY modded already (yes a bone stock tt 6 speed swap in an SC is a "heavily" moddified car) or do you want to start with something that's almost entirely factory installed then go from there?

Just weigh your options. There's no wrong answer, just depends on what you want. I love both of my cars
see i love the styling of both cars and the supra looks more aggressive than the sleeper sc. The toughest part is going from class to sport or sticking with the lardo lexus that has potential to be fast. I love the sleeper concept but i dont wanna just pass the supra up for that. i think it will all come to me in time. thanks for your opinions guys, they help
Old 08-19-11, 08:02 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Get an SC, one that's already swapped and well executed. I have one that may be for sale soon
Old 08-19-11, 08:08 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SC300.
well im forced to decide asap because febuary is the month i will possible be picking up a 6spd sc300 or if i dont ill possible be buying a supra in june. The price on the supra isnt a big deal because having a supra or swapped sc is my dream car anyways. Im just stuck between both of them right now. I love my sc i have now but i can also find a single turbo supra for around 30k. that would be the price id be looking at purchasing an sc swapped and going single also. I dont know what you mean by the import laws either. The only thing in cali you have to worry about is smog laws and im in the military so i can fix that fast with some florida registration =)
one of the many benefits of being in the mil. good thinking on the Flo Rida reg =)
Old 08-19-11, 08:11 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGS
bro, u can find a GTE well built SC for waaaay less than 30k.

I agree with MIGS, I know there are some good deals in the Lexus classifieds. You'd probably make out even plus have some cash for additonal things. Either way good luck, and be safe over there-and a safe return!
Old 08-19-11, 11:02 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC forum, you're gonna get pro SC answers. Which is gonna be my answer as well, no matter how much I'd like to have a Supra, I cant afford one (right now) and I just plain dislike the interior.
IMO, since it seems like money is no issue here and you'll probably gonna be keeping this car for a while, go with whichever one is more asthetically appealing to you (ie you can stand driving it everyday for the next 10 years) since both can have the exact same engine/performace anyways.
Old 08-19-11, 11:41 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

What i really like about the supra is how well it holds its value. A na supra still goes for $10k+. 6 speed supras are still around $30k. Our SCs are worth more to us than what they can be sold for and that sucks for all of us. To me thats why Supra>SC. Yeah i understand that maybe some of you guys think you will never sell the sc, but when the time comes i bet you'd wish you'd be able to sell your car for $30k.
Old 08-19-11, 12:56 PM
scooop
Driver School Candidate

I've had my current supra since 99 and still love driving it ever chance I get,
but I did pick up a 99 sc300 back in 08 and love the sc as my daily. The only
problem with the sc is not much power, but the car drive awsome. So, I'm
starting my swap this weekend and changing everything from the motor,
tranny, trd diff, tt brakes, gixxer drew suspension and some ccw classics
to finish it off. I think it will be as fun to drive as the supra when it's done,
but think the sc will be a much better low key car to daily drive. So, I say
one of each, sc for the daily and supra for the weekend.
Old 08-19-11, 06:22 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supra hands down
Old 08-19-11, 11:03 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

well im might have figured it out. If the sc im looking at is available when i go on R&R i should be picking it up. ive had one for almost 6 years now and i dont want to give up on the Lexus guys. I want the comfort and class of a Lexus still. If its gone then i think i will be looking at a supra.
Old 08-19-11, 11:18 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends, Supra will hold it's value alot better.

personally i'd prefer a black interior 99-00 SC300 with a v160 & GTE swap over a supra, but you'd have a hell of a time selling the SC after the money it would cost..

the Supra will hold it's value much much better and won't have as hard of a time selling even with a bigger price tag then the SC..

if money is no object though, SC..
Old 08-20-11, 12:54 AM
adl16v
Pole Position

sc300 all the way. everyone and there mama already know Supra's and the power they got. be slightly different low key. people don't expect a TT in a SC so much..
Old 08-20-11, 01:07 AM
Copilot
Driver

Originally Posted by 93SC300.
well im forced to decide asap because febuary is the month i will possible be picking up a 6spd sc300 or if i dont ill possible be buying a supra in june. The price on the supra isnt a big deal because having a supra or swapped sc is my dream car anyways. Im just stuck between both of them right now. I love my sc i have now but i can also find a single turbo supra for around 30k. that would be the price id be looking at purchasing an sc swapped and going single also. I dont know what you mean by the import laws either. The only thing in cali you have to worry about is smog laws and im in the military so i can fix that fast with some florida registration =)
Why don't you just buy a JDM 2JZGTE from an aristo or jza80 and single turbo it? There is no reason to ever spend near 30k for a gte swapped sc. Get an SC rolling shell and put the motor in it.
Old 08-20-11, 09:06 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

It's good that Supras hold their values.. it's like gold lol. Except a supra is more fun than gold... just don't wrap it around a pole.
Old 08-20-11, 10:53 AM
Redtallman
Rookie

yeah supras are nice just hard to find one thats not dog out or have not ben wrecked and put back togeather.. Some people dont report the wreck and put it back togeather themselfs so it would have a clean title....now sc300 u can still find a pristine 97-00 with low miles....you can always swap the motor 2j 1j all day....I thought the supra weighs almost the same as a sc...

Quick Reply: SC300 GTE or Supra