SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 owners ... are you still buying premium gas for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 03:35 PM
hahn67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been putting 91 in my car ever since i bought it because it said premium only.. i started putting some lucas additive in it to clean the injectors and it said for every fill to put it in. well after the 3rd fill with the correct ammounht of lucas it started backfiring here and there every once in a great while, hmm too much fuel? anyways i had also read the owners manual and it says with "gas a hol" you can run 87 safely... because the 10% ethonol they put it new gas raises the actual octane, the only bad part is if it gets water in it then it wil lower the octane up to 3 points, so i was thinking for this summer maybe running plus but i havent decided yet, i really am not sure id risk loosing 3 points from regular thats for sure, but im not sure if id risk loosing 3 points from plus either.. i think itd get watered down more in the winter/ rainy months than in the summer.
Old 03-24-12, 02:47 AM
Authorize
Driver

Originally Posted by lfrers
Screw that man, I run the cheap stuff, I even throw in a gallon of water with every fill up or even window cleaner for good measure. Saves me $$$ and works like a charm. When im really feeling froggy ill throw in some 2 stroke oil, diesel fuel, or Jet A from the airport. Cheap gas till you die if your not boosted... Or put in 91 and waste all kinds of cash. I say buy 87 and spend the savings on Booze and strippers.
Amen bro! Amen to that!!!
Old 03-24-12, 07:22 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Premium since i bought it 2 years n 6 months ago...
Old 03-24-12, 08:12 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I use whatever oem reccommends
Old 03-24-12, 09:55 AM
Akito san
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Screw that man, I run the cheap stuff, I even throw in a gallon of water with every fill up or even window cleaner for good measure. Saves me $$$ and works like a charm. When im really feeling froggy ill throw in some 2 stroke oil, diesel fuel, or Jet A from the airport. Cheap gas till you die if your not boosted... Or put in 91 and waste all kinds of cash. I say buy 87 and spend the savings on Booze and strippers.
hahaha 91 seems to last me longer. i use costco lately
Old 03-24-12, 10:18 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had experience with knock in decent compresson 10:1 cars, Hyundai accent, mildly modded had to put in premium or else I would hear a audible ping ping every now and then. 89 Also worked but whatever.

I would never put lower then 93 in my Lexus.
Old 03-30-12, 11:23 AM
goldsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Default Repercussions

I purchased my SC400 nine months ago. The car had a check engine light on, and obd1 readers couldnt find a code. The car would 'put put' then go, and there was audible knock on the ride home. I accepted the idea that I was going to need to put some decent money into the car to get it where I wanted it, and didnt mind. Once I was home (150 miles) I filled up with premium, and began the process of checking everything on the engine. My dad made me build my first car and it was a 2jz build bored 10° over with a ported and polished head, all forged internals, and fuel delivery system and ignition system to match. So I know a little bit. Anyway, the engine looked immaculate. All the engine accessories checked out as 100% functional, and the drivetrain looked spotless all the way to the diff. Not even a sign of oil seepage or fluids on the block. I scratched my head and drove the car for a month with my favorite brand of fuel system cleaner being added every fillup (only a quarter tank fill up, with 2 oz. of fuel system cleaner each time) and lo and behold, the knock completely disappeared, and the CEL did too. The car has instant acceleration, throttle response is immediate anywhere from 0 to 120mph. And now all im worried about is restoring the parts that were neglected by the cheap *** previous owner. Toyota invested $400 million in designing this engine. I'm certain the 0.25¢ sticker that says 'Premium only' is there for a reason. Don't be a cheap ***, dont listen to dumbarsess either. Just do what the geniuses that designed your car tell you to do and suck it up, or go buy a cheap four banger and put regular in it.
Old 03-30-12, 12:24 PM
AC1984
Rookie

93 is all I use in both of my Sc'slower grade makes the car run terrible.
Old 03-30-12, 01:30 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i actually pre-mix some 2 stroke oil occasionally, about 1/2oz / gal. don't hate

Old 03-30-12, 01:48 PM
XsirousX
Driver School Candidate

What's so bad about 91? Seems to me some Lexus owners can't afford it.
Old 03-30-12, 01:54 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

91 is probaly all right. I mean it is a upper grade fuel. Anything below that I would avoid. The lower the octane the hotter the fuel burns as it contains more BTU
s. Only idiots think HIGH OCTANE is more powerful. Cause its not.
Old 03-30-12, 01:57 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Only idiots think HIGH OCTANE is more powerful. Cause its not.
Truth-ish

High octane is just more "controlled"
Old 03-30-12, 03:08 PM
kmbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Dayum, I've been buying 91 or 93 for the past week or two to err on the safe side...My father's Infiniti always ran like #%&* if he ran anything other than 91 or 93 in his car over the 10 years he's had it....kind-of basing my decision on that...def don't have the money to throw away but if it saves me in the long run I'm all for it!
Old 03-30-12, 08:52 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, utilizing MDSC's math (forgive me, I'm in school to be an accountant) I have run some figures...

I'm going with two alternatives: One is, someone fills up every week. The other is every two weeks (depending on driving style & distance, of course). I'm using an adjusted price of $4.25 (I saw $4.05 today, but didn't need gas... Grrr...) and assuming that you fill up at approximately the E-line- which I'm calling 16 gallons. And around the A-Town, all we seem to have is 87, 89 & 93. So 89 & 93, it is then.

So here we go:

#1: Premium: $4.25 * 16.00 gallons = $68.00
Mid Grade: $4.05 * 16.00 gallons = $64.80 savings are $3.20 per week, x 52 weeks = $166.40

#2: Premium: $4.25 * 16.00 gallons = $68.00
Mid Grade: $4.05 * 16.00 gallons = $64.80 savings are $3.20 per week, x 26 weeks = $83.20

Now I know everyone fills up at different times, we all pay different gas prices, etc. But be real- how many of us have spent the difference in the two amounts inside the damn station? Really?

For the price of a bad hotdog (or 2) and an overpriced Coke, I choose to pamper my baby. I've heard too many stories about strange goings on when cheap fuel is used, and I don't want to be on the highway needing the power when my injection decides to crap out on me. I know gas is ever changing, and the savings do add up...

BUT are the small savings now worth the inevitable smack to the head when it goes sideways?
Old 04-08-12, 06:37 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Okay, utilizing MDSC's math (forgive me, I'm in school to be an accountant) I have run some figures...

I'm going with two alternatives: One is, someone fills up every week. The other is every two weeks (depending on driving style & distance, of course). I'm using an adjusted price of $4.25 (I saw $4.05 today, but didn't need gas... Grrr...) and assuming that you fill up at approximately the E-line- which I'm calling 16 gallons. And around the A-Town, all we seem to have is 87, 89 & 93. So 89 & 93, it is then.

So here we go:

#1: Premium: $4.25 * 16.00 gallons = $68.00
Mid Grade: $4.05 * 16.00 gallons = $64.80 savings are $3.20 per week, x 52 weeks = $166.40

#2: Premium: $4.25 * 16.00 gallons = $68.00
Mid Grade: $4.05 * 16.00 gallons = $64.80 savings are $3.20 per week, x 26 weeks = $83.20

Now I know everyone fills up at different times, we all pay different gas prices, etc. But be real- how many of us have spent the difference in the two amounts inside the damn station? Really?

For the price of a bad hotdog (or 2) and an overpriced Coke, I choose to pamper my baby. I've heard too many stories about strange goings on when cheap fuel is used, and I don't want to be on the highway needing the power when my injection decides to crap out on me. I know gas is ever changing, and the savings do add up...

BUT are the small savings now worth the inevitable smack to the head when it goes sideways?
We think alike my friend. Amen to that. Good gas for the good cars!

Quick Reply: SC300/400 owners ... are you still buying premium gas for your car?