SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Exhaust Backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 08:23 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
My SC400 wasn't whisper quiet when I got on it. It was about as loud as a stock Z28 actually.

JBrady, so you're saying the third cat is not legally considered a cat at all? So if I had it removed and smogged, then my car would pass inspection? I had the outlet of the "third cat" cut off and saw an intricate layer of honeycomb mesh inside. To the best of my knowledge, that's what a catalytic convertor has inside as well.
That "3rd cat" is a straight thru resonator. Remove it and it looks like a glass pack; though probably filled w/ SS instead of fiber glass.

My stock 92' is so God damn quiet, the only way to tell the car is on is by the slight ticking of the valves. Rev it and all you hear is the intake gasping. It is unbelievable how quiet they got this thing.
Old 09-26-02, 10:20 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard different things from the US now. Do exhaust specs vary from California and year to year over there?

I have diagrams showing LS400 has quiet exhaust like the Japanese Soarer - same muffler layout.
I have a TV ad for US sc400 and exhaust is loud and sounds like a V8.

Manary's titanium exhaust pics show the different resonators to mine stock ones - rear mufflers look the same but someone over there said you can look straight through them - that they weren't the reflection type like my stockers.

[IMG]stockUS[/IMG]

US exhaust with Three cats, more temp sensors etc, straight through small resonators and big mufflers (straight through?)

[IMG]Japanesestock1[/IMG]
[IMG]japanesestock2[/IMG]

Japanese stock Soarer (similar to LS400).
Two cats
one straight through resonator
two middle mufflers
two rear mufflers
Doesn't have sound - doesn't sound like V8.

So what do you reckon about that diagram for the US SC400? - Is that correct and universal?
Old 09-26-02, 10:23 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

well that didn't work too well!

stock US:
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Backpressure-sc400exhaust.gif  
Old 09-26-02, 10:26 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Japanese stock part 1
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Backpressure-exhaustv81.gif  
Old 09-26-02, 10:29 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

part 2
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Backpressure-exhaustv82.gif  
Old 09-26-02, 11:30 PM
Lvangundy

Ahh, looks like the US LS exhaust.

That centor resonator which looks somewhat like a cat, is not a cat. You can safely remove it.

If you want to see detailed pics of it lexsc, I can take some. All of my exhaust parts are in my trunk!
Old 09-27-02, 08:55 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by UZZ32
I've heard different things from the US now. Do exhaust specs vary from California and year to year over there?
Yes, greatly! California has much strictor emissions standards

Manary's titanium exhaust pics show the different resonators to mine stock ones - rear mufflers look the same but someone over there said you can look straight through them - that they weren't the reflection type like my stockers.
All of my stock components are straight thru design 'cept for the 2 cats. You can even see just by shining a flashlight down the muffler tips.

Japanese stock Soarer (similar to LS400).
Two cats
one straight through resonator
two middle mufflers
two rear mufflers
Doesn't have sound - doesn't sound like V8.
That sounds exactly like my stock SC (non calif emissions), but the middle mufflers are 6" cylindrical "can" mufflers (straingt thru design) not the offset 4.25 X 14" standard muffler design. The front resonator is also cylindrical and not shaped like a Cat converter; no shield either. And yes, sounds nothing like a V-8. Hopefully that will change. Luckilly, taking off the intake snorkel added a little V-8 woosh to the intake.
Old 09-27-02, 10:26 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stock exhaust isn't bad at all,was surprised to find all the mufflers to actually be resonators;straight through,no baffles.
I'm sure you could gain a few hp by removing one or two of them,but not a whole lot.
The intake will give you a nice note after the retaining ring for the screen inside the airflow meter is removed,and all the flat surfaces rounded off with a rotary file.That,along with the front of the airbox removed,and a thin metal duct placed just inside the new opening to get air from around the headlight via the opening under the headlight.
Gotta be the best bang for the buck,since it's improved the response more than fuel/timing adjustments,and after all,was basically free.
Old 10-02-02, 12:36 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, I must say I am surprised. Those first pictures definitely show a 3rd cat with small 2nd resonators. The second pictures show the SC400 exhaust that I have seen here in Texas. I guess the first are for California???

Anyway, the second picture resonators/mufflers look very similar but not quite like the LS400 layout that Peter has on Planet Soarer http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...s/exhaust.jpeg

All the LS and SC exhausts I have seen do NOT have a 3rd cat but obviously there are some that do have that layout. lex400sc saw honeycomb inside his indicating he has a 3rd cat. Removing it would probably fail the car visually but I would suspect it would still pass the sniffer with ease. I would not recommend hollowing out a cat as that would make it louder but may not inprove flow and in fact could hamper flow.

I would remove EVERYthing from the primary cats back an create a better system. It should pass easily and if you have a problem you can always install the stock parts again to get your sticker.