SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc stories

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11 | 09:19 PM
jaymessc4
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc stories

Hey guys, thinking it would b pretty neat to hear about your first drive , or any oother stories you will never forget ab out your sc's

I bought my car from an older guy and I lived out of town so it turned out to be a big rush. We couldnt get the car registered so I smaked on a dealer plate and hoped for the best. Insurance is covered for 7 days on any new vehicles purchased with my plan so that was alright. I knew the brakes were bad but it was when I was on the highway that I realizes there was no pads left. 2 hour 180 km trip with my buddy in front of me downshifting the auto Sc hoping the brakes would hold. That was white knuckel driving lol. Replaced the front and rear brakes with some drilled and it passed the safety no problem. Best 2500 ive ever spent on anything. The guy didnt even clean it out. 140 000km car at a lowball offer.
Old 08-20-11 | 09:52 PM
Kayasith95
Driver

We drove all the way to knoxville for the only one for sale close by even though it was three hours away. it looked great in the picture but when we got there there was a small chip in the paint which was no big. Everything else was perfect even the five speed! my dad took it for a test drive and he said it felt like his old supra we bought the car for $5150 drove it all the way home listening to down on me by sean kingston xD then later come home to find out it was running on low oil =| and now its starting to break down x.x radios quitting, clutch squeeking, and other things going on with no money for xP
Old 08-20-11 | 10:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Bought mine for 2k. Needed brakes and a little ac work. Ended up taking it to express oil change due to my finance coming up for the weekend. Didnt want to spend the time under the car whike she was here. They told me that it needed front and rear breaks and they couldnt find any keaks in the r-12 system. They charged it. Went to pick it up and the bill was 987.00. Holy cow. The ac leaked down the next afternoon. This is when r12 was 89 a pound. Took two pounds. Then the brakes started to chatter and grind. Ending up speaking with the district, regional,store and assisstant manager all at one time. Got some of my money back. Lesson learned. There is more to the story but just too much to type. They also broke my locking nut tool and told me the rear end was causing the brakes to chatter only when the brakes were applied. Huh? thats my story! The short version.
Old 08-20-11 | 10:58 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Bought it July 05' off craigslist, and still going strong. It may be back on the market though once I pick up a GS400
Old 08-20-11 | 11:06 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

got minne for a trade on a 96 ford probe gt, this things was messed up! 92 sc400 but i figured coulddnt be too bad, had no clue what i was gettin myself into haha drove it 2 and half hours home with no back brakes and when i started working on it everythign was messed up but i still love it, its comming along slowly but surely
Old 08-21-11 | 08:36 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Bought mine for 4,000 at a dealership with 90K miles on it, was in perfect shape needed a little paint work on the rear bumper that was all.

It now has 298,202 miles on it. It has taken me to Prom, date's, to my wedding, Drove away right after I was married in it, To our Honey moon, and continues to be driven every chance It can.
Old 08-21-11 | 08:52 AM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Bought my 1992 sc400 for 3500 from a Korean fellow who was moving back to South Korea. Ive Only owned it for a few months so far, but I think it's terrific. Only problem with it was the passenger side window regulator which I fixed for 170 bucks and an afternoon of wrenching. She needs some general maintenance such as t belt, brakes, pretty much all fluids, and alignment, but for 3500 I really can't complain. So far has proved very reliable. I sold my honda civic for this because I wanted a car that I could keep forever with tons of potential and I wouldn't get bored of too easily. Best decision ever.
Old 08-21-11 | 08:53 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap
CL Folding 1M

well, here it goes...

Browsing craigslist, found an ad for a 1993 sc400 lexus for 400 bucks. fuggit, I'll check it out.
Drove all the way to Purcell with my brother, saw the car, looked alright, needed some tlc, inside and out, but not horrible for a $400.
She offered to let me test drive. She climbs into the drivers side (wait, what?), and jumps into the passenger seat... "The door won't open" ah, shouldn't be to hard to work out, only so many things inside the door.
start the car, sounds like ****, it's missing on a couple of cylinders. And has an exhaust leak at the resonator.

Car drives, take it a mile or so, there's some weird thing in the suspension, doesn't feel quite right....
but despite the engine missing, the ****ed suspension, I wanted it. swapped cash for title, drove it home.

now for the fun part. I decide to take I35 back home. to give you an idea of the route, it's about an hour drive to my house. In a car that's missing, and both driver's side shocks are blown, no pressure, springs only (figured that out after I was doing 70)
it was so bad, when we went through Moore, my brother phones and swears he saw the rear tire lose contact with the ground.
well, made it home in one piece, with a piece of ****. $3000 later, it's still a piece, but it's mine. Runs beautifully, rides smooth, and still needs the interior/exterior tlc.

moral of the story, don't buy a $400 Lexus if you can't DIY. OR just don't anyway. Would I do it again? yeah, but I'm a stickler for a challenge.
Old 08-21-11 | 09:41 AM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BenStoked
moral of the story, don't buy a $400 Lexus if you can't DIY. OR just don't anyway. Would I do it again? yeah, but I'm a stickler for a challenge.
exactly like mine would i do it? hell yea
Old 08-21-11 | 07:12 PM
boosted516
Rookie

I found my sc on craigslist, i went to check it out and immediately fell in love haha. Went back the next day with 5k cash and drove it home. The drive was funny because it was not registered and did not have insurance, i was living in new york at the time so i just slapped on a florida plate my friend had in his garage, and crossed my fingers. The drive was about an hour on the southern state(tons of state troopers) but it was the funnest drive i had in it. Another funny thing about the drive was when i got into my town, i drove through a red light camera on purpose just because i knew it couldnt get back to me.
Old 08-22-11 | 12:31 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Look around for my picture thread of the journey back from Arizona when I bought mine. I'd look but I'm on my phone. Looking back, I should've passed on this car and kept saving my pennies, but it is what it is and sooner or later it'll be a sick ride.
Old 08-23-11 | 05:46 PM
Uncivilize
Driver School Candidate

Well I bought my sc400 because my parents had total my 04 Ford Taurus while I was in vacation visiting my girlfriend in South Carolina my girlfriend moved to Miami about 2 weeks later and I was going crazy looking for a car to buy and her uncle was selling the 99 sc400 and as soon as I saw it I fell inlove with it and so did she even dough she didn't want a coupe cuz she has 2 kids she was the one that told me get it babe cuz its the only coupe I like and that's the story about my sc400
Old 08-23-11 | 05:54 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

my 1st drive.... bought the car and the guy had the a/c blasting during the test drive so i never checked the windows until my friend parked next to me and i tried rolling it down.... pretty much i hated my car haha

my fault for trusting POS used car salesmen...

but after i bought it i had a 3 hours drive back home. love the way it rode on the highway.... until 2 hours in when the car broke down.... later to find out it was the ECU. after all was fixed though i love my car. even though the engine blew up on me before i moved and put it in storage but i am to blame for the motor.

i shouldve bought a better condiition one but wanted to put some $$$ into savings overall though im happy with it. i bought pbm's and decent flush wheels and fixed up the interior the hard way. when i get back ITS ON! $$$ will be dumped haha

Last edited by iridebmx; 08-23-11 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-23-11 | 06:04 PM
lilSCsteve

I bought my 92 SC 300 5 speed 3 years ago from a guy in GA. Straight up seller, I emailed him, made a offer, flew down (one way trip) he picked me up at the airport in the car...we went to house, I met his wife and kids-and now we email one another from time to time and talk cars...I let him know what I'm doing to the LEX, and he let's me know about the AE 86 he's building. The really cool thing, we've been really good friends every since! Good friends are hard to come by, so when you have good friends-value it!
Old 08-24-11 | 03:02 AM
shima
Driver School Candidate

Got mine from the import garage (First owner since japan woop)

When i picked her up she had just had a full service so on the drive home naturally i gave it a tad bit of a boot and all this black smoke came from the back i'm talking a lot. i stopped to realise it was just crap after they did the engine flush. after that no problems at all

Quick Reply: Sc stories