Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 10:56 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

92-94 needles are clear & illuminate orange
95-96 needles are painted red
97-00 needles are painted orange
97-00 cluster uses florescent backlighting.
98-00 clusters have gated shifter pattern.
92-95 support outside air temperature
97-00 support mpg.
97-00 sisplay screens are made of real LCDs and not the seven-segment calculate display.

They say the 92-94 dimmer switch on max allows a voltage that's damaging to the needles. I can neither confirm or deny this. I can confirm setting the dimmer to low does preserve 92-94 needle life. I have yet to see a burned out 95 & up needle.

Last edited by account2x; 08-21-11 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 09:11 AM
Dedik8d1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I wish I had mechanical skills. 2 of my needles have disappeared and who know how long before the others check out.....
Old 08-22-11, 11:14 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by account2x
I paid 100 bucks for my 98-00 cluster. Not many people can do the conversion because it requires soldering and reading electrical diagrams - not hard just not many people can't do it. So the clusters aren't very expensive.
Yeah, soldering takes some pretty crafty work. And electrical diagrams are confusing when you first look at them. I actually looked at the diagrams to see where I was gonna ground the wires. I spent $12 on those leds.. to me it's good enough. I'd rather spend $100 on something more useful.

Originally Posted by kingphilip
That's really nice I'd say, it actually creates an illusion that the blue light is fading, if it's not too much to ask, can you redo the distance pic without the flash? I kinda like your idea, it's something original. It reminds me of an IS-F cluster with the blue light fade. If there's only a way to hide the LED bulbs this would be a killer.

This is also nice, but for people like BigBang, he's in college if I'm not mistaken, and a little tight on budget, this is actually a great innovation. And for people like me, who just wanna keep that '95-'96 theme on my SC I wouldn't do this kind of conversion.

It's just like, I want the '97-'00 body kit, but I wanna keep my '95 fog lights and I don't like the small grille in front.
Yeah I'll try to get a pic when i'm not busy.. school started today. And yes i am in college commuting over 60+ miles a day so I definitely need to save!

Originally Posted by blacksc4
thts a very good fix
this kinda gives me another idea, id remove the glass and get an SMD LED strip and mount it on the top so u cant really see the LEDs and its be under the glass so almost make it look stock and itd be about the same price, if not cheaper cuz autozone has led strips for 19.99 and thats 2 strips so ud have an extra strip to mount some where or sell off to some one OR u can cut the led strip and solder on some wiring and place it different places (cutable to 5 or 6 pieces)
jus my thoughts either way i like it
It would be cool if i had a better picture on ur idea haha. Maybe i'll think of something to cover up those leds.
Old 08-22-11, 11:43 AM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBang

It would be cool if i had a better picture on ur idea haha. Maybe i'll think of something to cover up those leds.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat.../77426B/image/

get that and remove the cluster glass/plastic w.e u wanna call it, and stick one of the led strips inside right above the gauges, wire it like you did before and then put it all back together, a lil clearer? lol
Old 08-22-11, 02:05 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc4
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat.../77426B/image/

get that and remove the cluster glass/plastic w.e u wanna call it, and stick one of the led strips inside right above the gauges, wire it like you did before and then put it all back together, a lil clearer? lol
I seeee. I think i'll leave it for now when I get time to mess with it. Hopefully it's not too much lighting.
Old 08-22-11, 02:10 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My needles are blue.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQF0_dsWhsY
Old 08-22-11, 02:25 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sayayin
You're car is sick.
Old 08-22-11, 03:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I chose to replace the backlighting bulbs with superbrightleds in super white in wide angle. I also have blue needles. Overall i am real happy with it.
Old 08-22-11, 03:27 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to be a downer but this is a hack job. I'm not trying to be a Lexus **** and preach to mod Lexus like Lexus. I'm just saying people should realize by now that older SC aren't economical to maintain.
Old 08-22-11, 04:38 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nicely done!
Old 08-22-11, 04:41 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I know some people have their own opinions on it. But to me, my goal is to be able to see my needles without having to spend loads of money. Yeah I could probably spend even less soldering or doing all that sort. But doing this was simple with not much effort. So IMO it works in my books. Not to show it off or anything haha.. just works..
Old 08-22-11, 05:37 PM
fantastic1
Rookie

what is required in the 98 cluster conversion? i won't plug and play?
Old 08-22-11, 06:19 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
I appreciate the innovation but I think you should have done the 97-00 cluster conversion like the rest of us. ]
the rest of who? haha most of us do lextech.... which imo looks better than that cluster
Old 08-22-11, 06:36 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

nice job... u just opened my world to new ideas... my cluster isnt missing any lights but i think its ugly
Old 08-22-11, 07:19 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uras300
I don't want to be a downer but this is a hack job. I'm not trying to be a Lexus **** and preach to mod Lexus like Lexus. I'm just saying people should realize by now that older SC aren't economical to maintain.
That's what I think but I wasn't going to put it so bluntly. I think after a while he'll realize that we're only trying to help him.

Originally Posted by iridebmx
the rest of who? haha most of us do lextech.... which imo looks better than that cluster
Are you just saying that or do you have actual experience?

LEDs unlike incandescent light bulbs have a very narrow viewing angle. Unless extra fine attention to detail is taken you'll end up with a cluster that looks like this.

The needles themselves are very finely aligned onto the meters. Removing them brakes this alignment. Recalibrating needles is very tedious. Sometimes it's almost impossible to get them factory accurate.

Search lextech to find issues. Not everyone was happy with the results. Assuming you have a perfect LED conversion cluster it would still be worse for the following reasons.
  • 7 segment "calculator" display versus liquid crystal display
  • No MPG readout
  • Weird indication light placement - ABS and Oil Level inside the tachometer ring
  • No headlight indicator light
  • Non-gated shifter pattern without the illumination surround

Given the uncertainty of having someone modify a cluster versus swapping in a direct factory part the latter is clearly the safer choice.

Quick Reply: My fix for cluster needles