SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

93 sc300(auto) issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11 | 02:35 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Default 93 sc300(auto) issues

So I snagged it for a steal, and knew it was going to be a bit of a fixer upper. So on to the questions.

1. What is up with the dash needles? do they come black? also did they burn out or simply not lighting up(everything else does)

2. Where is the starter on the sc300? The seller informed me it's on its way out. At this point it starts up fine most of the time and occasionally takes 2 turns, but better safe than sorry. Knowing where it is and which side to jack up will help alot.

3. Ive read about electric fans, but is it worth it? Id assume 1 less pulley having to be turned would free up power, but these engines seem to run hot and hold the heat for a long time even with the car off. Im guessing the fan is always spinning for a reason and that method is probably best?

4. How in teh hell do I turn on the fog lights??? Maybe I am just slow, but I see no button or switch with the universal fog picture, no switch labeled fogs or something similar, nor any way to turn them on at the steering column where the regular lights are controlled.

Ok now the issues...Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to start with fuses when I get home, but an action plan is always nice

1. Power locks dont work. I can lock/unlock them by hand, or key just fine, but when I press the switch all I get is a clicking noise that sounds to be coming from under the steering wheel...the window/mirror switches work fine

2. driver side power mirror will adjust left and right but not up and down

3. Air doesnt blow out of the 2 middle vents on the dash, but does from everywhere else
Old 08-24-11 | 02:54 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
So I snagged it for a steal, and knew it was going to be a bit of a fixer upper. So on to the questions.

1. What is up with the dash needles? do they come black? also did they burn out or simply not lighting up(everything else does)

2. Where is the starter on the sc300? The seller informed me it's on its way out. At this point it starts up fine most of the time and occasionally takes 2 turns, but better safe than sorry. Knowing where it is and which side to jack up will help alot.

3. Ive read about electric fans, but is it worth it? Id assume 1 less pulley having to be turned would free up power, but these engines seem to run hot and hold the heat for a long time even with the car off. Im guessing the fan is always spinning for a reason and that method is probably best?

4. How in teh hell do I turn on the fog lights??? Maybe I am just slow, but I see no button or switch with the universal fog picture, no switch labeled fogs or something similar, nor any way to turn them on at the steering column where the regular lights are controlled.

Ok now the issues...Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to start with fuses when I get home, but an action plan is always nice

1. Power locks dont work. I can lock/unlock them by hand, or key just fine, but when I press the switch all I get is a clicking noise that sounds to be coming from under the steering wheel...the window/mirror switches work fine

2. driver side power mirror will adjust left and right but not up and down

3. Air doesnt blow out of the 2 middle vents on the dash, but does from everywhere else
1 the needles on these cars have a tendence to burn out but they can be fixed, there are DIYs on the forum somewhere

2 the starter is on the driver side of the engine bay underneath the intake manifold. again i believe there is a DIY on it but cant tell ya as i never had to change my starter yet

3 ive read alot of talk of oem fans versus electric fans and the general consensus is the stock fans work great with these engines and there isnt really a need to add more wiring to an already very electronic car

4 your 93 does not have fog lights they are a corner light. there is again a DIY to convert them to fog lights

1(dont know where u learned to count lol jk) if there is a clicking from under the dash it might be a relay, they are located by where u rest ur left foot on the driver side if u get the SC BIBLE you will have access to the wiring diagrams

2 sounds like the motor in the mirror is on its way out. a good way is to test for power going to the mirror when going in the directions it is not working in

3 are you sure the open/close switches on the vents are in the open position? simplest thing to check for this issue
Old 08-24-11 | 03:40 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Thank for for the reply. For the starter, do you mean under the intake manifold as in the intake manifold blocks access, or as in I have to pull the upper intake manifold off to access it?
Old 08-24-11 | 04:09 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

it is under the manifold as in the manifold is blocking access. that isnt to say that u can somehow get in there unbolt it and slip it out around the manifold and whatever else is in the way. again i have never replaced it so i dont have first hand experience
Old 08-24-11 | 06:11 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Also how important is the fan shroud? Mine is mia, but it looks like the idea is to direct the fan air to the radiator. Seems these engine bays do well at holding heat, but with the fan constantly going and tha massive radiator once the fan blade comes in. will I be ok driving without the shroud?

I ask because I spent the better part of my work day online looking and cant find an oem style one. I came across other shrouds with different designs, and also cooling plates. How well do these work?
Old 08-24-11 | 06:28 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know about aftermarket shrouds but in order to take full advantage of the stock fan a stock fan shroud should be in place, engineers would have spent time and money developing it if it wasnt needed. best bet is to check local junkyard, craigslist and the classified section on the forums.
Old 08-25-11 | 06:38 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

junkyard and cl were a bust...fan blade is gonna set me back $130. I forgot, no cheap parts like the dsm its replacing as my daily lol
Old 08-25-11 | 06:52 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Ah Ex-DSM guy as well!

So you definitely can DIY, and know your way around a Junkyard!

Screw the clutch fan, big, bulky, drowns out the sound of your beautiful JZ engine.

Just get a Electric fan from a Junkyard, mount it, and hook up a relay to one of the switched 12v+ on the ECU. Easy.

Don't rip out any of the underside plastic though, that's were the real engineering went to direct airflow.

Starter isn't as easy as a GTE engine with a Forward Facing Intake Manifold, but its not a Sideways 4g63 either!

Should be pretty easy with the car lifted up.

Not no "Cheap" parts, but definitely "Inexpensive" if you know where to look and how to be resourceful and innovative, like me.

I have never paid anyone to work on the car, and never have I purchased any Dealership parts at MSRP.

You will love Toyota much more than Diamond Star Motors, that's for damn sure!

Welcome!
Old 08-25-11 | 10:39 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Ah Ex-DSM guy as well!

So you definitely can DIY, and know your way around a Junkyard!

Screw the clutch fan, big, bulky, drowns out the sound of your beautiful JZ engine.

Just get a Electric fan from a Junkyard, mount it, and hook up a relay to one of the switched 12v+ on the ECU. Easy.

Don't rip out any of the underside plastic though, that's were the real engineering went to direct airflow.

Starter isn't as easy as a GTE engine with a Forward Facing Intake Manifold, but its not a Sideways 4g63 either!

Should be pretty easy with the car lifted up.

Not no "Cheap" parts, but definitely "Inexpensive" if you know where to look and how to be resourceful and innovative, like me.

I have never paid anyone to work on the car, and never have I purchased any Dealership parts at MSRP.

You will love Toyota much more than Diamond Star Motors, that's for damn sure!

Welcome!
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. It will definitely be a more comfortable daily than the dsm...still adjusting to the lack of local parts availability, but I am sure I will love it once I get her on the road. I went to my local pull and pay and they had 2 lexus sc400(sans motors) and about 30 dsm's(eclipses, talons and lasers.) Mustangs used to go quick like that too, but most parts were also on cl, or autozone. About the starter would I need to jack the car up and find it under the intake manifold, or pull the intake manifold and change it from the top?