SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 heavy doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 05:09 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is noticeably heavy as Hell, buy no harder to close than the door on my eclipse
Old 08-27-11, 05:24 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soarerdd
I wonder if anyone has made an affordable weight reduction for the sc doors...

Not sure what you're asking, but you can remove the glass and use lexon or swap to CF doors.
Old 08-27-11, 05:59 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The doors are heavy because they are extra long to provide better access to the back seat, and because they are well built. People complain about having to slam the passenger door but I really think that it is because they are used to lighter doors abnd because the door seals so well. If the window is cracked open the doors shut easily, indicating that it is a pressure issue not a weight issue. If opening the window doesn't help then it is probably a hinge problem.
Old 08-27-11, 08:21 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

Not sure what you're asking, but you can remove the glass and use lexon or swap to CF doors.
he wants an affordable option for that though cuz CF doors and lexan swapped doors might get a little pricey if you cant DIY

every passenger that has ever gotten into my car at some point does not close the door all the way and they all say the same thing "why are your doors so heavy?!" it is just really funny on person even went so far as to say the hinge is broken and thats y he cant close it. i said it isnt broken u just close the car door like a ***** lol
Old 08-27-11, 08:30 AM
MarkBMC
Driver School Candidate

Doors are heavier than most cars, hence the titanic cast hinge. Compare that hinge to the ones on other cars. It's quite impressive.

The only reason I have my SC is because of the doors. A friend of mine had bought it for his fiancee, but she was a tiny thing and didn't like the heavy doors. Thank god! LOL
Old 08-27-11, 03:37 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I weighed my door when it was off, 92 lbs.
Old 08-27-11, 05:24 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^^was that with or without the hinge... because if its without im sure the hinge weighs like another 50 lol
Old 08-29-11, 03:34 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to clean the "U" shaped metal and all the moving parts and you´re done.
They are heavy, but when in good conditions, not hard to close.
Old 08-29-11, 04:01 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hinges are massive because they are double acting hinges. They are designed to improve access in close quarters.
Old 08-29-11, 07:10 PM
JJ823
Driver

This review helped me in buying my 92 sc300. One of the first things he mentions is the door and hinges.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...2-lexus-sc400/

“There is nothing quite like it!” Every enthusiast I know has that attitude towards their car. But rarely is it actually true. Platforms are shared. Engines and transmissions are modified and tossed into whatever else can accommodate them from a cost perspective. Compromises are made. Only sometimes they aren’t. Sometimes you can buy something so unique, so timeless, that you can appreciate it’s qualities even twenty or thirty years later. The Lexus SC400 is one of those rare, outstanding machines. Let’s start with the door hinge.

That’s right. That usual flimsy piece of metal that’s supposed to keep the door open and closed through the ages. On most cars, as the car ages, the bolts holding the hinge to the frame will eventually get a little loose, and the welds can actually wear out over time. At some point, you will eventually hear a popping sound when you open the door. Some owners fix it. Most ignore it. But Lexus SC400 owners will never face the choice.

The SC400′s door hinges were an absolute engineering monstrosity, as over-engineered and built as those of any similar era—or earlier—Mercedes-Benz. Lexus built in quality trying to make this car eternally seamless and genre-compatible silent. The bushes and flanges that make up the SC400′s über-hinges are as thick as a brick. They’re triple-welded into a geometric design that can hold the SC’s door at any angle. No other car from that time period can do it. None.
Old 08-29-11, 09:31 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, well. They aren't as over-engineered as that author gushes over. They DO wear out, mainly because the factory elected for whatever reason to seal the undersized needle bearings so you can't grease them. There are enough threads around here for quick fixes regarding popping sounds, my own door popped as it chipped the paint off the front fender. I replaced my driver's hinge with a rebuilt one with better bearings AND grease nipples.

The main difference is that Lexus SC400 hinges will cost a lot more to fix when they fail.

And CMH, I can weigh my old hinge if you like, although it doesn't contribute a whole lot to the door weight since half of it is bolted to the car itself as a non-moving base.
Old 08-29-11, 10:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

big, heavy door??/ I haven't noticed....However, I do feel fit without going to the gym
Old 08-29-11, 11:51 PM
MC3 Wheels
Former Sponsor

How hard is it to actually change out the hinges? I've had a replacement pair ini my trunk for like 6 months and am just dredding the swap out.
Old 08-30-11, 08:26 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The door hinges are a marvel in themselves. They are an "articulated" design. That means that the front of the door (at the hinge area) actually moves out away from the body of the car as it opens. They movement allows a greater entrance area than with a normal hinge. Lexus did this because the doors are very long and wanted to make it easy to get in and out of the car without having the door swing more wide open.

A great design and I could care less about people who can't close this door!
Old 08-30-11, 09:08 AM
BigSticks
Lead Lap

yes they are crazy heavy, i have trimmed out my whole door skins and am trying to find a way to shave a lil weight out of the hinge it self

Quick Reply: SC300 heavy doors?