Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe, oops! gotta give credit to neal too! my bad... thank you
Old 09-24-02, 11:26 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Also with any kind of plating that you hear of, from experience, it doesn't work like you would think. The CAD plating would burn off and all you would have is a protected hub. Same thing if you buy rotors that are not plated, just paint the hub before you put them on.
"The CAD plating would burn off and all you would have is a protected hub" ??? That's what its suppose to do. Tha cadmium plating protected rust on all part of the rotor except where the brake pads and the rotor surface mated.

You have to pay an extra $15 each to have the rotor cad. plated. That mean $60 for four rotors. YOu don't have it because you didn't asked for it.
Old 09-25-02, 12:20 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Cool rotor hats

Rust-Oleum black barbecue paint! Clean off all the loose rust and wipe down with thinner before you spray 'em - probably have to repaint once a year -

Last edited by strongsail; 09-25-02 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-25-02, 01:25 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

JohnnySC,

I think I have the same rotors as yours. Also, I share the same problem. The drilled and slotted surface that comes in contact with the brake bad is silver and clean, but the hub is now bright yellowish orange due to rust.

And, to the rest of y'all experts...

Is this due to the brake pad dust depositing on the hub? Or is this just the rotor hub rusting up? Will changing the brake pad to EBC Green Stuff prevent further rusting?
Old 09-25-02, 01:40 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
JohnnySC,

I think I have the same rotors as yours. Also, I share the same problem. The drilled and slotted surface that comes in contact with the brake bad is silver and clean, but the hub is now bright yellowish orange due to rust.

And, to the rest of y'all experts...

Is this due to the brake pad dust depositing on the hub? Or is this just the rotor hub rusting up? Will changing the brake pad to EBC Green Stuff prevent further rusting?
Rusting is due to oxidation I think. A result of the contact with air. If you paint the rotor with something it will put a coat on the metal therefore keeping the metal from contact with air.
Old 09-25-02, 04:44 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by VQT

"The CAD plating would burn off and all you would have is a protected hub" ??? That's what its suppose to do. Tha cadmium plating protected rust on all part of the rotor except where the brake pads and the rotor surface mated.

You have to pay an extra $15 each to have the rotor cad. plated. That mean $60 for four rotors. YOu don't have it because you didn't asked for it.
I know that that's what it's for. So what I'm saying is that save yourself $55 and buy a can of high temp paint for $5 and paint the hub yourself.

People must insist on getting CAD/Zinc Plating just to have the thought that they are protected when painting the hub itself will yield the same results.

The brake pads don't make the hub show rust but with contact of water. Notice after a car wash the rotors are rusted color and wipes off after you drive it. Whoever has plans of getting new rotors, just remember to paint the hub before you put them on.
Old 09-25-02, 08:18 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why you get rims like this...

LoL

my cross drilled/slotted rotors are showing some rust... mainly due to washing the car so much....

Luckily my rims only have a few holes to take a peep into.
Attached Thumbnails Rotor Rust....WTF-mvc-102s.jpg  

Last edited by E39; 09-25-02 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-25-02, 09:06 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

jeez, i love that lip!!!
Old 09-26-02, 02:11 AM
strongsail
Instructor

my rotors are oem and they are rusty too, it's not just the aftermarket stuff - it sure shows through spoke wheels - if you really wanted to get fancy, you could have them powder coated, I know that stuff is baked on so it will probably take the heat, you can get lots of cool colors but it's gonna be expensive - I had a piece of aluminum powdercoated for my boat recently, it had about the same surface area you'd want to coat on rotor hats, cost me $100 - so the set of rotors would probably cost you $400 - when I mount my Supra wheels, I think I'll go with the Rust-Oleum -
Old 09-26-02, 11:26 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got four Cad plated rotors and my hubs show no sign of rust. Rotors were 325.00 for the set of four. The whole purpose of the CAD plating on the hub is so they "won't" rust. Think it's kinda rediculous to by new rotors and have to paint the hubs. To each there own I guess.

S
Old 09-26-02, 01:03 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $300 for the rotors and never thought I would have to paint them! Guess the supplier did not take that into account