SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Torque Converter Problem....I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-02, 11:19 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Problem....I think

Hi guys. I've been having a problem with a sound coming from my car at certain RPMs. When the car is going like 40 to 50MPH at about 2000RPM the car makes a weird grinding sound. Its not really a grinding sound like from a saw grinding metal but like a really weird sound I cant explain. I did a few stupid things with the car when I first got it. I was driving home today and thought of what that problem might be. I was thinking its probably from the engine or the axle doing it but its starting to sound unlikely. I think it might be the TC because when I first got the car I was going like 40 or 50 and I shifted to netrual and the car reved to like 5000RPM or something high like that and shifted back into drive. The car kicked and took off and I did that a few times. I think that might have hurt the TC pretty bad and thats why the sound is coming out of my car. Does anyone else know what could be making this noise? If a TC was broken would it make that kind of sound? I'm not really sure how a TC works or what it really does but I know its pretty much directly related to the RPMs. Well if anyone can help me out let me know. Do I need to get a new TC? If so how much is it get replaced by Lexus or should I have it done somewhere else or what could I possibly do? thanx
Old 09-25-02, 11:10 AM
Lvangundy

Don't know if it's the TC..but..

Some Lexo junkyards usually sell used TC's for pretty cheap. Less than $200. Kind of hard to find tho.

A performance one will set you about $900 + install, and a rebuilt to original specs TC will run about $400.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 09-25-02 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-25-02, 04:36 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx Lvangundy. Thats pretty helpful. Does anyone know how much it would be to get it doen at the dealership? Oh and is the TC visible without taking anything out? I want to see if it and see if anything is touching it that shouldnt be there or see if broken or something. Again thanx lvangundy
Old 09-26-02, 10:19 AM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

my car use to do the same thing, i could never fiquer it out, it did not do it all the time but every now and then it would make that grinding sound, the car has not made any grinding sounds for about 5 months now, it just went away without doing anything, i hope it won't come back, let me know what it is once you fiquer it out
Old 09-26-02, 02:43 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Ya my car used to do it a lot but lately its been pretty normal. I hardly ever hear it. If I do hear it its very low and barely noticable. I still would like to figure out what the hell could be making such an annoying sound though. After I got the car fixed it hasnt really made any sounds. I will let you know if I ever figure out what it causing that though. Doesnt seem like a very common problem but at least I'm not the only one now.
Old 10-01-02, 11:18 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hey ali hamed I found a little more info on our little problem. Looks like we're not the only ones. This seems to be getting more common. Heres the link. Its in the engine/tranny section of the SC board

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=45249

Its the weirdest thing too because after I got my oil changed the noise started up again. I switched to synthetic oil. The sound is starting to stop again.