SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

cams/head options for an n/a sc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 03:16 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams/head options for an n/a sc?

So with the car being a long term project. Id like to keep it n/a for now, and when the time comes, or the motor pops, go na -t. For now I'd stilllike to add some power. Being a non vvti car, it seems damn hard to find cams. That and i was hoping some of you could point me towards a better breathing head, and a nice set of ca.

P.s yes I am aware that the forum has a search feature
Old 08-31-11, 05:26 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would suggest you use that feature as there have been a few threads about your EXACT question. Use it before you spend any money or you'll be wasting it.
Old 08-31-11, 05:35 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

All the tech threads are dead and old(at least the ones I find.) Reading them has helped some, but some current info would be nice. Im finding nothing as far as heads, but it appears a gte head wont increase powwer and will be a pain in the ****. For cams what I really want to know is what set (if any) will boost power, and still be useful if I go turbo.
Old 08-31-11, 05:35 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Also what are everyones thoughts on cam gears, and lightweigh(not underdrive) pulleys
Old 08-31-11, 06:02 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just keep it stock except for a 3" exhaust and an intake. As far as cams and cam gears, I would just keep them stock until you go turbo. I don't see a problem with lightweight pulleys. I don't know about lightweight crank pulley, but the others would be fine.
Old 08-31-11, 06:09 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are very few things you can do with the n/a 2JZ to make any useable power that your going to notice. Building an n/a 2JZ is going to cost you the same if not more than going na-t or doing a swap.

My opinion, and Im sure 99% of CL/SC owners are going to agree with me, dont waste time or money trying to build an n/a 2JZ. These engines were built with a turbocharger in mind and that is where they are happy. Search google for n/a 2JZ's and your going to come up with a very short list of actual builds that didnt cost $10k+ that can actually compare in performance to what a $3k-$6k na-t build would.

Im not saying it cant be done, but in the end, and built n/a 2JZ with just heads and cam is going to suffer horribly against a fairly low boosted na-t and cost the same if not more. If you just want to do heads and cam and stay n/a, look into an LSx swap. A few of us have already done them, and if you know how to source parts, its not too expensive.

Other than that, just go na-t or GTE. Trust me, you will spend less trying to make useable power, and be much happier with the power you can make @ 9psi with stock compression/fuel/cams/etc.
Old 08-31-11, 06:16 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyboxx
I would just keep it stock except for a 3" exhaust and an intake. As far as cams and cam gears, I would just keep them stock until you go turbo. I don't see a problem with lightweight pulleys. I don't know about lightweight crank pulley, but the others would be fine.
why in the world would you make such suggestion? Do you know what 3" exhaust would do to a 2jzGE? He might as well take the exhaust off the manifold and loose trq/hp that way at least its free.

OP please theres no head/cam packages for GE, please do regular engine performance research first before you make threads like these.I'm willing to spend a few minutes of my life explaining this so hopefully next guy that sees this wont ask again.

Cams for n/a have usually a low lobe separation i will not go into explaining what it is if you want google it. Turbo motors have higher lobe sep on cams.
Cams for n/a usually have lower duration and n/a cams higher duration. Lift usually dosent matter. So you will actually loose perf with n/a cams if theres such thing for 2jz. Please save your money and go na/t stock Ge motor should never pop if you mantain it and you can go na/t with current motor with simple tt head gasket/arp stud upgrade.
Old 08-31-11, 07:12 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
why in the world would you make such suggestion? Do you know what 3" exhaust would do to a 2jzGE? He might as well take the exhaust off the manifold and loose trq/hp that way at least its free.
Not true. I ran a 3'' dual and later single 3'' exhaust on my n/a SC before I went na-t, and felt absolutely no loss at all. As a matter of fact, before going to the 3'' exhaust, from a launch with the stock auto, the tires would never break-free..after the 3'' exhaust both dual and single, I would actually get some wheel spin coming from a dig with 255/40/17's

So until there is definitive proof (dynograph) showing the loss in tq/hp from adding a 3'' exhaust on a stock SC vs. stock exhaust on an SC, I dont think that is viable information.
Old 08-31-11, 07:59 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

OP please theres no head/cam packages for GE, please do regular engine performance research first before you make threads like these.I'm willing to spend a few minutes of my life explaining this so hopefully next guy that sees this wont ask again.

Cams for n/a have usually a low lobe separation i will not go into explaining what it is if you want google it. Turbo motors have higher lobe sep on cams.
Cams for n/a usually have lower duration and n/a cams higher duration. Lift usually dosent matter. So you will actually loose perf with n/a cams if theres such thing for 2jz. Please save your money and go na/t stock Ge motor should never pop if you mantain it and you can go na/t with current motor with simple tt head gasket/arp stud upgrade.
I did look...I ALSO DIDNT FIND ANYTHING. Did it not occur to you that maybe, just maybe, if the packages/upgrades dont exist someone new to these motors WOULD NOT find any info on them?

While I do appreciate the cam info, would it kill you to wash out the sandy vag and either answer questions or stay outta threads, rather than posting "do research on something that isnt out there" It's like half the people that post in here don't understand people new to these cars are going to have questions
Old 08-31-11, 08:06 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
There are very few things you can do with the n/a 2JZ to make any useable power that your going to notice. Building an n/a 2JZ is going to cost you the same if not more than going na-t or doing a swap.

My opinion, and Im sure 99% of CL/SC owners are going to agree with me, dont waste time or money trying to build an n/a 2JZ. These engines were built with a turbocharger in mind and that is where they are happy. Search google for n/a 2JZ's and your going to come up with a very short list of actual builds that didnt cost $10k+ that can actually compare in performance to what a $3k-$6k na-t build would.

Im not saying it cant be done, but in the end, and built n/a 2JZ with just heads and cam is going to suffer horribly against a fairly low boosted na-t and cost the same if not more. If you just want to do heads and cam and stay n/a, look into an LSx swap. A few of us have already done them, and if you know how to source parts, its not too expensive.

Other than that, just go na-t or GTE. Trust me, you will spend less trying to make useable power, and be much happier with the power you can make @ 9psi with stock compression/fuel/cams/etc.
I have actually been looking up things all week...the n/a idea is because I see this as a long term project. I was thinking intake and exhaust and leaving it alone until I move, at which point I will replace the sc with another daily.

You guys will have to excuse my ignorance, but I am from the mustang/f-body world. When I think heavy car with a popular motor, I think of n/a mods that often wake them up due to them having a large aftermarket. Looks like she will be staying n/a and stock/slow until I move and settle in.
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Uhhh noo not true. Also if you had read the OP's original post you would notice where he says...

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
So with the car being a long term project. Id like to keep it n/a for now, and when the time comes, or the motor pops, go NA-T
So if he put a 3" exhaust right now he wouldn't have to buy one later on down the road.

OP like I said, just stick with intake & exhaust, till you have the monies to go turbo.
SChema
Lexus Champion

Cam gears are not worth the money unless you want eye candy, they do not yield much power. As far as camshafts, some have had custom ones ground, I believe Titan offers a set for the NA head, as well as BC. Not 100% sure though. I've mentioned before, lightened pulleys are just mainly for eye candy, it's not going to make a world of difference in power gains.

As far as the GTE not yielding much of a power gain is somewhat true. Many don't swap to the GTE head for a power gain right out of the box. People use the individual coils to their advantage as well as the extra room gained with the deletion of the distributor cap to allow for turbo and coldside piping fitment. The aftermarket support for the GTE head is a plus.
Old 08-31-11, 08:12 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toyboxx
Uhhh noo not true. Also if you had read the OP's original post you would notice where he says...

So if he put a 3" exhaust right now he wouldn't have to buy one later on down the road.

OP like I said, just stick with intake & exhaust, till you have the monies to go turbo.
Its more about timing than money...i'm moving from new mexico to utah in november, and would rather not have to worry about nagging issues/kinks etc from going to a turbo set up while it is my only car since I plan to sell my dsm before I move.
Old 08-31-11, 08:16 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SChema
Cam gears are not worth the money unless you want eye candy, they do not yield much power. As far as camshafts, some have had custom ones ground, I believe Titan offers a set for the NA head, as well as BC. Not 100% sure though. I've mentioned before, lightened pulleys are just mainly for eye candy, it's not going to make a world of difference in power gains.

As far as the GTE not yielding much of a power gain is somewhat true. Many don't swap to the GTE head for a power gain right out of the box. People use the individual coils to their advantage as well as the extra room gained with the deletion of the distributor cap to allow for turbo and coldside piping fitment. The aftermarket support for the GTE head is a plus.
Thats what I read, but I figured maybe there was another aftermarket head I just didnt know about. I asked about the head because I am fairly certain this car will see a turbo and from the looks of things the GTE intake set up is far cleaner, but doesnt mate well to a GE
Old 08-31-11, 09:27 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You were blessed with a gift from the motor gods.

Follow your calling.

Boost it now.

Then do an exhaust after.

Quick Reply: cams/head options for an n/a sc?