SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 02:59 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought from ddm like last week.. takes forever to ship tho.. i been tracking it and it's still in china. Anyways.. wish i would have seen that hidextra has a 25% discount if you order before tomorrow.. could have saved me a few bucks and possibly a better quality set of hids?
Old 09-04-11, 03:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

HID's are HID's. The quality are all the same no matter what other people say. I'm an Electronic Engineer so I can tell. They're all the same just with different stickers(brands).
Old 09-04-11, 03:47 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer93
Im not trying to create a debate, but please if you havnt looked into HID kits yet in great detail, you will find your 40$ 100$ and even few hundred $ kits to do this..

A good HID kit will not have that glare, or Blind oncoming motorists
which is not only a concern for other motorists but a concern for you as you will have trouble seeing the road too!! and well its your safety we would all be concerned for.
The glare really depends on your headlights y'know. It's not the HID's.
Old 09-04-11, 03:50 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
HID's are HID's. The quality are all the same no matter what other people say. I'm an Electronic Engineer so I can tell. They're all the same just with different stickers(brands).
Okay I feel a bit better now
Old 09-04-11, 04:08 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Balasts will have different power consumptions, and startup current transients, different heat output/efficiency at different voltage levels, different noise pollution (not that it really matters much with a running engine), also different sizes for better placement inside the engine bay, etc etc etc - and then moving on to the bulbs, different brand bulbs will have different factors affecting them as well.

since the wiring for our oem headlights are on what a 18 or 22guage wire(not sure but its small)? its not the best for all HID applications - where some kits will come with all new wiring, and even a direct wiring option from the battery so you dont get the voltage drop. As an electronic engineer id think you would know all that.. but i guess a nobody banker can tell you that instead.
Old 09-04-11, 04:13 PM
SoCal1JZ
Driver School Candidate

I've seen visible differences between "cheap" and "better" brands, we compared them side by side once plus reliability comes into play as well
Old 09-04-11, 04:15 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

Just like real bbs/Volk te37 vs varrateon.
ithey looks the same from the outside but the material will never be the same.
So same as the ballast.... "you get what you pay for" !!!
Old 09-04-11, 04:21 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingphilip
The glare really depends on your headlights y'know. It's not the HID's.
in most cases its the fact the headlight assembly is not designed for HID's - so yes you are correct, but thats because theres HID's installed and they shouldnt be as the light cant be focused/aimed correctly.

i was trying in a nice way to say Look it up - hopefully someone willing to actually read, will notice that its probably best to get a new projector assembly or whole new headlight designed to work with HID's so they actually work as intended.

also theres lots of different brands of HID kits, different balasts, different amperage ratings, wattage, heat produced, CAN sometimes cause the factory wiring in some cars to heat up too much and catch fire. not saying its going to happen, but aslong as you are informed first before you make your decision, you cant come back saying.. i wish someone told me.
Old 09-04-11, 05:24 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

So whats the best brand for pretty cheap?
Old 09-04-11, 06:09 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

HID's were designed to have a lower amperage, alot lower than halogen bulbs. So if they heat up/if you get the HID's with the same amperage as your halogens then the main purpose of switching to HID's is lost. Remember guys, HID's were first created for use of off road purposes since they produce brighter lights and it doesn't have filaments, hence having a lower risk of your lights going out because of extreme abuse through bumpy roads.

I have always used HID's made in China even back in Philippines and I had an accident that I totaled my AUV(Asian Utility Vehicle, Toyota Revo, look it up) and my ballasts, the old school ones, they were like really big ones like the Raptor version of DDM Tuning, were squished because it was mounted in between the fender and the engine bay wall in front and they still worked after re-soldering the wires that got cut.
Old 09-04-11, 07:00 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

its not all about amperage, its about voltage.
Xenon lights require nearly 20,000 Volts to ignite the gas, then drops to a steaddy 85Volts once the lights are warmed up. which is why on some bulbs you will see they are insulated and rated up to 35,000 Volts..

As you can imagine, not all our old wiring is able to handle that from the normal 12-16V, although at slightly higher amperage.