SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1992 Sc 400 Control Arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 09:37 AM
ChrisH
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Sc 400 Control Arm bushings?

Hey im looking to change the control arm bushings in my 92 sc 400. There pretty much shot, which makes drives on bumpy roads a little sloppy. Id like to change all of the bushings, does anyone know where I can get some for cheap? Thanks
Old 09-06-11, 09:54 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Prothane poly bushings.. do a search and find the cheapest.. It used to be TM Engineering but they are out of business..
Old 09-06-11, 11:05 AM
NerdRiot
Driver

Jegs has them for cheap. $60/front $50/rear I believe. Has anyone done this install in their driveway? I want to do it myself but I've heard it's a serious pita without a press.
Old 09-06-11, 01:49 PM
antonio356
Driver

Originally Posted by NerdRiot
Jegs has them for cheap. $60/front $50/rear I believe. Has anyone done this install in their driveway? I want to do it myself but I've heard it's a serious pita without a press.
$56.99 front and $81.99 rear from Jegs...
Old 09-06-11, 01:56 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Prothane poly bushings.. do a search and find the cheapest.. It used to be TM Engineering but they are out of business..
I highly doubt that TM Engineering is out of Business...I was there about a few days ago and the signs are still there at the building (Someone was inside, with the music playing loudly [Probably Todd]) where they're based at and one of his fellow building tenants said that he still does business...His Lexus LS even still sits there in the back.
Old 09-06-11, 05:52 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

jegs is the best place to get them if ur gunna go prothane...

ok this next information is from my personal experience so please read or suffer like me and a lot of others have on this site... lol

option 1: if you do prothane... you HAVE TO NO MATTER WHAT burn your stock bushings out... DO NOT USE A PRESS or have anyone press them out for u. your stock bushing has a sleeve around the rubber taht when pressed out this sleeve bends! you CAN NOT buy this sleeve anywhere trust me i have tried. so again buy a small torch and burn them out. it might take you a lot longer but its worth it. takes about 3 days and cost like 66 for the front.

NOTE: prothane come with just the bushings and CENTER washers for lower control arms... upper controll arms u are expected to use your factory center washer. KIT DOES NOT COME WITH lower control arm outter shell (sleeve)

option 2: if you can get a hold of anyone that sells daizen bushings they have a kit that comes with these sleeves. then u can have a press place press ur stock ones out and ull be str8. however i wrote them emails... think it was tm engineering and they never responded. so go to daizen.com and they have other vendors listed but u will have to call and see if they are available still. the kit alone is gunna cost u about 150 i think so be prepared. i also read somewhere that ppl have waited like 3 months for these bushings.
Old 09-06-11, 07:36 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

dont forget to check ur ball joint if its shot no point in doing the bushings
Old 09-06-11, 08:09 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
NOTE: prothane come with just the bushings and CENTER washers for lower control arms... upper controll arms u are expected to use your factory center washer. KIT DOES NOT COME WITH lower control arm outter shell (sleeve)
It's actually the LCA bushing that doesn't have the center bolt sleeve. The UCA bushing bolt sleeve is included.
Old 09-06-11, 08:33 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the Prothane swap a month ago. As above, you have to burn the front lower bushings out.
I invested in a press, primarily for this job. makes everything soooo much easier.

burning the bushings isn't hard, just time consuming, and you have to be a little careful (burning rubber is dangerous, and will stick to your skin). mapp gas makes easier work than propane, too.