SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 11:14 PM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas?

I have a 1992 SC 300 and on friday i was coming home from work and i noticed my panel lights went dim then i noticed the ABS light came on, and my radio started cutting in & out, I was almost home so kept driving and noticed my panel lights were getting even darker i went to turn my blinker on and my gauges went crazy and all dropped. My car then started to lose power and when I went to turn the power steering seemed not be working too well...I made it to my house parked my car and it started losing even more power and struggling to stay on then it died. I noticed when i started my car that day and the day before it was idling real hard but seemed to calm down after waiting for a bit for it to warm/cool. After the car died I tried to restart it and it wouldnt. A few hours later I started it it seemed like normal so i started it was going to take up the street to see if it was ok I turned the radio on just to check it, the radio turned itsself off then the headlights went off, and it started riding rough and it died. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. I replaced the alternator about 5 months ago so hoping thats not it. Any help is appreciated. This one has me stumped.
Old 09-07-11, 10:02 AM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

anyone have any thoughts of what could be the problem..somewhere to start?
Old 09-07-11, 10:16 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

sounds like a combination of possible issues..

-alternator possibly drying that old battery
- the main fuse
-But most importanly that radio is doing something.... so try to drive the car with the radio off, that way you can find out is something is wrong on your radio harness,affecting the daily driving .
Old 09-07-11, 10:20 AM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I actually replaced the alternator about 5 months ago...and because the battery was acting up i replaced like about 2 weeks ago. It does the same thing even if the radio is off. Could it be something with the ABS since thats the only light that is on..except the engine light that has been on since ive gotten the car. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-07-11, 10:21 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a body ground next to the battery that can cause this issue, you also should probably replace the negative battery cable between the battery and the starter.
Old 09-07-11, 10:27 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All signs of low voltage, check your charging system first....then go from there
Old 09-07-11, 10:29 AM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...it gives me somewhere to start...I appreciate your input.
Old 09-07-11, 11:11 AM
darren400
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem on a car I had years ago and it ended up being the voltage regulator,I'm not sure if the sc has a voltage regulator...I would think so... and if so I would start there...just my 2 cents worth...good luck
Old 09-07-11, 02:35 PM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Thanks its worth a try..I swapped out my battery terminals just in case it wasnt getting enough contact i had to jump my car and this time it stayed on for a bit longer but then again the panel lights went dim and it struggled to stay on.
Old 09-07-11, 03:29 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a voltmeter, your wasting your time if you don't do the basic diagnostic tests first
Old 09-07-11, 03:49 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

sounds like what happend to my sc400 a while back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...is-runnin.html

never did figure out what was wrong with it. i ended up buying another sc.. gl with yours though, hope u find out the cause
Old 09-07-11, 09:26 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

I had a similar issue, turned out it was the power wire going to the fuse/relay box in the engine bay.
Old 09-07-11, 09:37 PM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Chris I keep feeling like it is something like that...I have a question if anyone thinks maybe its related to this...when i replaced my battery a few weeks back the guy put the cables on the wrong sides and blew my alternator fuse then proceeded to pull it out with pliers and touching the connectors together so i could start my car which made my Airbag light come on i got that code to clear...and all this has happened anyone think maybe that could of caused this problem? Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-08-11, 09:37 AM
Arkansas
Pole Position

if the problem continues....maybe ur car just doesnt like u. might sound weird....but it happens man
Old 09-13-11, 03:31 PM
ltorres
Driver School Candidate

Hi all update...so apparently it was my battery that caused my car to wig out. I took my battery to be tested and it was low 8.4v so autozone charged it for me for free i hooked it back up car started and is doing good no more ABS light, no shaking..doing good so far! Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Any ideas?