SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hydrocarbons & Carbon Monoxide to HIGH. 1UZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 10:32 AM
Boboridesb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrocarbons & Carbon Monoxide to HIGH. 1UZ

Went to emmisions and failed. What else is new? aye. ha. Anyways No lights on nothing on the dash, went to lexus and even asked them and several shops in the area and decided to just come to the place that would know best. So i am in indiana, the HC we are aloud to admit is .80 i was 2.41... and the CO is 15.00 i was 37.00, ive looked into a tune up, it doesnt look cheap on the count that i dont know how to do it myself, and need someone to piece together a nice tune up kit for me that works with these 1UZ since i heard alot fo sprarkplugs are bad for these motors. But i went to a shop that has the same dyno thingy that emmisions has, and the sniffer. They charger 90 bucks to hook it up and see whats wrong, good deal i feel? But get this the guy than began to tell me how if he ran the test, he has to do the repairs and cant let my car leave. i was so damn confused, i told him no atleast 5 times, than told him i only want to get the test done and figure out whats wrong so i can fix it, he than told me he cant let my car leave again I got pissed and as he continued to talk i walked out, all i want to do is figure out what causing this and to do something to pass than the car is getting a new exhaust, anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-08-11, 10:45 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How old are your catalytic converters? They could be the culprit..and a tune up isnt hard to do, search to see what plugs 1UZ owners recommend. Plugs, caps, rotors, wires, done. All you need really is basic hand tools and a ratchet with the right socket.
Old 09-08-11, 10:50 AM
Boboridesb
Rookie

Originally Posted by turbodremz
How old are your catalytic converters? They could be the culprit..and a tune up isnt hard to do, search to see what plugs 1UZ owners recommend. Plugs, caps, rotors, wires, done. All you need really is basic hand tools and a ratchet with the right socket.
my cats age haha, i have no idea...BUT luckily i ordered 2 new cats and they will b here 2mmrow, im going to just have them put on behind the stock ones. hopefully that will help, than off they go and into the garage. But how hard is not hard? i have all those tools? and im going to look into it myself, i know to have it done is 290 for labor at the shop by me. but before all of that is done, its going to get a nice seafoam and than a oil change. but i kind of also want to do the timing chain, itd be nice to pair up with someone from the chicago area that knows the car so i can learn and meet other SC's
Old 09-08-11, 11:48 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

do not do a seafoam it will not help at all it will only hurt when talking emmissions same for fuel injector cleaner only use that stuff AFTER you pass emmissions...if you didnt fail NOX then your cats are fine dont spend the money putting them on just hold on to them....first thing you should do is the tune up stated above asap so you dont have to pay to get a smog retest its very easy look it up on youtube its pretty much the same for all cars one difference is you have to remove the spark plug cover to access the wires and sparkplugs its very straight forward.
Old 09-08-11, 02:03 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
do not do a seafoam it will not help at all it will only hurt when talking emmissions same for fuel injector cleaner only use that stuff AFTER you pass emmissions...if you didnt fail NOX then your cats are fine dont spend the money putting them on just hold on to them....first thing you should do is the tune up stated above asap so you dont have to pay to get a smog retest its very easy look it up on youtube its pretty much the same for all cars one difference is you have to remove the spark plug cover to access the wires and sparkplugs its very straight forward.
u sure on the cats? i feel as if the hyrdocarbons are for the cats and no idea were the **** this carbon monoxide is coming from
Old 09-08-11, 02:15 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

its killing me to not be able to pinpoint exactly what it is...i feel like it isnt going to be good. i love my SC already i need to get it fixed
Old 09-08-11, 03:33 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

If your cats arent working properly, they arent doing their jobs which is to reduce carbon monoxide(CO), unburned hydrocarbons(HC), and oxides of nitrogen(NO, NO2, & N2O) to produce carbon dioxide(CO2), nitrogen(N2), and water(H2O).

Replace those, and a tune up then get it inspected again and I would be willing to put a $1 gentleman's bet via paypal that it passes.
Old 09-08-11, 03:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

listen to turbodremz, just went through this a while ago, when both numbers are out by a good amount your cats are probably gone. not saying its your only problem, but I would start there get some universal magnaflows welded in. forget OEM cats used or new not worth it.
Old 09-08-11, 03:53 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

just two weeks i failed emmissions for high nox which is usually egr and/or cats.....passed hc and co.... so i got a new egr system went back same results but nox was lower but still failed. got 2 cats went to get them put on and put fuel injector cleaner for the hell of it to see if it would help...results HC and CO failed but passed NOX this time i syphoned my fuel out completely and refilled 20 min before i got my test passed everything...please come back with your results not saying cats wont help but i dont think it will get you to pass alone ofcourse if you fix everything on your car it will pass.. i mean why replace cats that arent bad? im just telling you the route to go to save money your call
Old 09-08-11, 07:10 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

this is all very expensive...more money than i thought it would be, especially on a budget of a 20yr old who is a detailer at a Dealer ship... I have 2 magnaflow cats, they came in today, they are the universal's but now every exhaust place is saying its going to be a pain to do it and i should replace the O2 sensors as well since the 2 front ones are a pain in the *** to get to, its not throwing any codes so i figured if those were bad id be ****ed and throw a code? exhaust places are saying 200-300 to weld ea side? wtf? that seems to high to me...i love this car but never knew itd be so expensive, also heard the timing belt/chain is $2k+ for this car? Anyone in the Lake County/Chicago land that can help? Will pay just dont want to pay what a damn exhaust place is charging
Old 09-09-11, 02:59 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

it shouldnt be that high at all 150 for both max, 80 at the least to get them welded....i think you should do a tune up first its the cheapest and your car needs tuneups anyway.start with the cheapest items change spark plugs cap and rotor then go get a retest retest should be free for a month or more depending where you live
Old 09-09-11, 03:08 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

Well I have my sparkplugs n wires ordered, I have my ngk spark plugs and ngk wies, it was 200 for both of those...doesn't seem cheap
Old 09-09-11, 05:23 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

how is this rotor and cap? now i need to find out if they are sold in 2 or what? cause the 1uz needs the one on the left side and on the right. any luck on it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISTR...item25616cccdb
Old 09-09-11, 05:44 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

this for a distributor cap? i just want to make sure i have the right stuff before committing.
http://www.******************.com/de...Q174-6989.html
Old 09-10-11, 02:30 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...400&vi=1187614

if you just throw your money around at the first thing you see ofcourse it wont be cheap...what sense does it make to buy on impulse somthing for 200 dollars then turn around and ask about somthing 55 dollars?slow down a bit you have plenty of time to look and research if you dont have time for wutever reason ask more questions quicker you could have even got everything from aliga with a good bulk price from a wrecked SC...spend smarter bro let us know what happens

Quick Reply: Hydrocarbons & Carbon Monoxide to HIGH. 1UZ