Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is going to be dope
Old 09-09-11, 02:04 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSticks
Sweet... Whats up with your stocker? Wanna lend it and help wire into ye ole shred sled?
The stock cluster will be remaining in the car till the LS1 is done and 100% on the street. After that while Im doing the cam, ecu is off for tuning, I will be doing the cluster and possibly prepping for paint.

But once its down again and cam is ready to go, the cluster is yours

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
S2K gets my vote...good luck, can't wait to see what you end up going with. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the input, should be in and running in the next couple of months.

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I like the rx8. Anyways you should post a diy when youre done
I liked the RX8 too, but I do prefer an all digital display. But I will have DIY when the time comes.

Originally Posted by kez
this is going to be dope
Thank you sir. Hopefully I can push things a bit quicker and get it done sooner. Further updates will be in my SC570 build thread.
Old 09-09-11, 02:44 PM
xwingzero2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s2000 DUDE!! all they way then ill ask u to do mines
Old 09-09-11, 04:03 PM
JJ823
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for that s2000 cluster. Reminds me of a soarer but better...

Old 09-09-11, 05:56 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xwingzero2
s2000 DUDE!! all they way then ill ask u to do mines
I will let you know when its done, calculate completion time and we can go from there

Originally Posted by JJ823

If the Soarer cluster was available in MPH, I would have done it a long time ago..but now that I see that picture, yes the S2K cluster does look a bit more appealing.
Old 09-09-11, 11:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ok so after doing a bit more reading on some S2k forums, I have found out that the Dakota Digital SGI-5 speedo box might not be enough to convert to the higher PPM needed for the AP2 speedometer to read properly.

I have emailed Dakota Digital to see what they say, and will also be contacting Hinson this next coming week as they have both AP1/AP2 LSx conversions, and an RX8 conversion completed and running stock clusters. So Im curious as to what they used, and hopefully they are willing to share some info.

Hopefully the DD SGI-5 will suffice, but if not, I think a Speedohealer speedometer signal converter should do the trick, but will put the cluster idea over my ideal budget.

But I did find out that the DD SGI-8 tach converter isnt needed at all. Seems the GM ignition system actually runs on a pulse that is fairly universal from 4cyl to v8..Out of all the LSx swaps I have seen from Civics to the RX8, the tach signal from the GM ecu is just a tap and go..so the tach box is going in the classifieds.
Old 09-09-11, 11:17 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

Wow if you pull this off, it's gonna be great bro!
Old 09-09-11, 11:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CrispyST3
Wow if you pull this off, it's gonna be great bro!
Im trying to get all the info I need so it will be smooth sailing for anyone else. Just waiting to hear back from Dakota Digital. Even if the speedo isnt accurate, I may slap it in anyway, and run a 3-3/8 digital speedo right infront of the s2k speed display

But I will keep everyone posted on the details. This is just one of those things that with no/minimal prior research its hard to tell what could come up.
Old 09-09-11, 11:52 PM
Copilot
Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz

If the Soarer cluster was available in MPH, I would have done it a long time ago..but now that I see that picture, yes the S2K cluster does look a bit more appealing.
that pic isn't of a z30 soarer cluster, looks like a z20 soarer.
Old 09-09-11, 11:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Didnt even notice...

now if I could wire in the old Z31 digital cluster, we would be in business..I miss that thing..except the woman yelling at me that my door is ajar!! But yeah, Im starting to blab too much...lack of sleep.

Will post up any feedback from Dakota Digital and Hinson as it arrives.
Old 09-10-11, 05:45 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I already picked up a Racepak from a buddy which luckily will plug right into my AEM and reference any readouts from the, making it pretty simple for me. But S2K cluster is sweet and I know at least one other local SC that would be interested in the mod
Old 09-10-11, 07:02 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ823

Gah!! That's out of the older Soarers (10 and 20's). The 30 Soarer dash layout is much simpler. Even so, I despise the digital dash, give me analogue any day.
Old 09-10-11, 01:56 PM
Copilot
Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Gah!! That's out of the older Soarers (10 and 20's). The 30 Soarer dash layout is much simpler. Even so, I despise the digital dash, give me analogue any day.
The only thing I despise about the z30 soarer digi dash is that sometimes I forget to turn my headlights on since the dash is already illuminated and street lights are everywhere.
Old 09-12-11, 09:45 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ok for those of you watching this thread for updates, I head back from Dakota Digital and got some interesting news. The Dakota Digital box should be able to handle the required output to the S2k cluster with no problem.

The GM ecu's VSS output is 4000ppm, and the S2k cluster requires a 4000ppm input, in theory it should just wire together, issue is not knowing if either are AC or Open Collector signals.

So, when I do order the cluster I will test it without the Dakota SGI-5, and if it works, then the swap would roughly run $250-300 including any brackets and surrounding dress options. If it requires the SGI-5, then another $75 and some dip-switch adjustments would be required.

Time will tell, but should be soon that I start to tackle this little project.
Old 09-12-11, 10:57 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

And just got some more useful information. The 05+ AP2 clusters will NOT work. They get all their signals from the S2k data bus, so unless you want to include the S2k ecu and data bus into the wiring...well yeah, you get the idea.

So from what I have gathered so far, early 04 AP2 clusters will work, and AP1 clusters as well, both with minimal hassle. For the temp display, I will be picking up an AP1 temp sending unit to display temps on the cluster, and will use a standalone Autometer gauge to display what the GM ecu reads.

Seems even though the AP1 has a higher redline, it will be the one of choice to skip the haggle of the data bus on the ap2 cluster. So looks like I will be doing some LED changes to the tachometer display to change the redline point.

Quick Reply: Dash cluster ideas...want some opinions