SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 12:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x

Did you ever get the 1998-2000 VVT-i igniter bracket or are you still using the tastelessly modded VVT-i igniter on regular bracket?
So you are calling out a guy because of a small bracket under his hood that probably takes less than 5 minutes to change out? I don't know the intent of your post, I can tell it's not a good intent, but I think you are not seeing the bigger picture and what this thread is really about.
Old 09-10-11, 12:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I think variety is what keeps things interesting and just because it isn't my style doesn't mean it shouldn't make the actual owner happy...

Example I wouldn't ever personally do a VIP or VIP-styled car because (IMO) those mods make the car perform significantly worse (both handling and ride quality) and is dangerous due to many of the popular VIP mods (stretched tires, unusual stress on suspension parts, tables that block airbags, neck pads that cause neck injury in an accident, etc). But that's my opinion about doing that stuff to my own car... I certainly like looking at what others do to their VIP/VIP-styled cars and if it's what they want to do, more power to 'em.

I will tell something they shouldn't do something if its a waste of money (for example a Vornado/ Turbinator or 'magic HP chip') or is really unsafe, otherwise it's rare that I'll tell somebody I don't care for something.

If I see something I think is hideous sometimes I'll find something I DO like about the car to comment on and then give some constructive criticism, but always end up up with a "but it doesn't really matter what I think, it's what makes you happy that is important".

Many of the folks are just starting out and need some guidance on what other alternatives they should be looking into.
Old 09-10-11, 12:42 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is to much im surprised there havent been threats yet..but it keep going its turning out pretty good
Old 09-10-11, 12:47 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whelp Dave posted and it didn't get locked so I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in . You're right about the honda-izing of this car, and it is unfortunate but isolated bad apples are something you'll find in every community. It's not just isolated to cheap cars though. You should SEE some of the BS that was done to my supra when I bought it. I just last weekend finally ditched my poorly executed a pillar gauges, and got rid of the autozone pedals. I ripped out almost a half pound of wiring that was done for a turbo timer that didn't even work. Money does NOT buy taste unfortunately. But every community has their bad rep to fight. Personally I HATE it when people bash supras as a product of Fast and Furious. Fast and Furious was IMO the worst thing to happen to the supra. It's a very classic and tasteful looking car (done right!) and holds it's value in a similar way to the NSX and Viper. Sure those are just an old honda and an old dodge, but there's more to it and you can't blame a crappy (although extremely entertaining ) movie on those cars holding their value.

Dave I have an idea on this that I'm going to take offline with you. I'll PM you shortly.

Last edited by Klaus; 09-10-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 12:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Klaus
Whelp Dave posted and it didn't get locked so I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in .
Lol, have been watching it on and off all day. Account2x is the only one about to get banned from it so far for making personal callouts
Old 09-10-11, 12:53 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Spot on again to SC400TT, and Dave!

To the newbees, no dis intended as well, but I was also in heat about everything when it comes to my SC, but after restoring it to good running condition, btw I did every single labor in restoring my SC, I realized that whatever these old timers where saying back then is true. Just take time to listen and understand what these people are saying first before you get all hyped up and heated about it.

For example, for me a Soarer is a beast, but an SC is a luxury. It's not that Soarer is ugly, but there's actually a great reason why out of all the line up Toyota had back in the day they chose the Soarer as their first luxury sports coupe to be distributed else where.

Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder, but if you don't have the money to spend to get what you want don't spend it at all just for the heck of it, instead you'll end up with a less mediocre version of what you really wanted, thus just wasting your money and you get unwanted attention from other people.

And also, just to add to what Dave said, their are alot of mods that I really like but I don't consider doing or do not do just for the sake of doing it, or don't do it simply just because I won't be able to pull it off. You have alot of decisions that you will have to make, not just in SC's, but you always have to BALANCE every decisions you do.
Old 09-10-11, 01:03 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

There are so many options for our cars & with money always being an issue for most of us. It comes down to what you can afford. Keep it real brand new work wheels ain't cheap. You can go cheap on some stuff but it has to flow. Basically some of us are ballin and some are not. But not all ballers have good taste tho & that's scary.
Old 09-10-11, 01:14 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So you are calling out a guy because of a small bracket under his hood that probably takes less than 5 minutes to change out? I don't know the intent of your post, I can tell it's not a good intent, but I think you are not seeing the bigger picture and what this thread is really about.
For being a hypocrite. How can someone pass judgement on others "it gets worse every year" when they are contributing to the situation.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lol, have been watching it on and off all day. Account2x is the only one about to get banned from it so far for making personal callouts
Nothing personal merely a statement of facts.
Old 09-10-11, 01:44 PM
Klaus
Instructor

For being a hypocrite. How can someone pass judgement on others "it gets worse every year" when they are contributing to the situation.

You might want to look up the difference between a fact and an opinion
Old 09-10-11, 01:46 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid for my car, not you, not the forum. I am free to make decisions (both good and bad) about my car, regardless of your opinion.
My car is almost 20 years old, I paid well under a grand for the damn thing. I didn't get a "clean" car, I got a busted car. Since it's not perfect, it gives me the opportunity to try things that people with "clean" cars won't do.

Taking it a step further, your opinion about mods leads me to challenge what is "allowed" to be done to a car. can I not supercharge my 1uz? can I not put an r154 behind that? I can't put a nice stereo system that will hook up to my iPod? I must leave it pretty much stock, since I can't afford/don't want YOUR mod list? What would a mod require to be PUT on your list of "acceptable?" Is there some sort of form I have to submit to the SC gods, to be considered to be permitted?

my car, my money, my taste, get the **** off of your high horses.

edit:not to say I don't agree with some of the opinions of what is tasteless, but they are still opinions. I hate some of the things done to these, and, for that reason, they won't be done to my car.

Last edited by BenStoked; 09-10-11 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 01:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Not taking the hint on personal commentary.... account2x please exit this thread.
Old 09-10-11, 02:06 PM
7akata
Driver

This is a pretty comical thread. Do you think it's going to change the perspective everyone has for the car? No matter what car you drive, from the Honda's to the Lexus' to the higher end Europeans, everyone has **** on their cars that other people disapprove of. The scene has taken so many twists and turns through the years, and what's popular in the US greatly varies from time periods to geographical locations to different age groups. "Financial establishment" is not the cause of some people buying "Knockoffs" or other things you claim are tasteless. There are plenty of people out there that are financially well off and still drive beat up trucks; People will do what they want. If Greg down the street's lifelong dream was to own an SC with a giant shopping cart wing, because Greg thinks they are awesome and it makes him happy, who are we to say that's wrong. I know it's a shock, but maybe there are people out there that actually LIKE the way those Ebay headlights look (*shudder*). Time's, and peoples definition of what's cool, will always change.
Old 09-10-11, 02:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I paid for my car, not you, not the forum. I am free to make decisions (both good and bad) about my car, regardless of your opinion.
My car is almost 20 years old, I paid well under a grand for the damn thing. I didn't get a "clean" car, I got a busted car. Since it's not perfect, it gives me the opportunity to try things that people with "clean" cars won't do.

Taking it a step further, your opinion about mods leads me to challenge what is "allowed" to be done to a car. can I not supercharge my 1uz? can I not put an r154 behind that? I can't put a nice stereo system that will hook up to my iPod? I must leave it pretty much stock, since I can't afford/don't want YOUR mod list? What would a mod require to be PUT on your list of "acceptable?" Is there some sort of form I have to submit to the SC gods, to be considered to be permitted?

my car, my money, my taste, get the **** off of your high horses.

edit:not to say I don't agree with some of the opinions of what is tasteless, but they are still opinions. I hate some of the things done to these, and, for that reason, they won't be done to my car.

You're taking this wayyyyy too seriously. He never said what you can do or what you can't do to your car. He is only making suggestions. Of course you're free to do whatever you like because it is your money! However like Dave said, many people are new to the scene and a little guidance wouldn't hurt. I'm willing to bet a lot of people have done mods they've regret. If you want to dye your hair pink and wear nothing but spandex, more power to you, but it's certainly not something I would want to promote.
Old 09-10-11, 02:13 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-10-11, 02:21 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
You're taking this wayyyyy too seriously. He never said what you can do or what you can't do to your car. He is only making suggestions. Of course you're free to do whatever you like because it is your money! However like Dave said, many people are new to the scene and a little guidance wouldn't hurt. I'm willing to bet a lot of people have done mods they've regret. If you want to dye your hair pink and wear nothing but spandex, more power to you, but it's certainly not something I would want to promote.
I wasn't directing to the OP, but some of the other members (calling out shboni, on this one), those who are alot less open to any mods

Quick Reply: No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?