SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 02:31 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I understand what you are saying...But I will put my modded SC up against any Ferrari or GTR...I have a feeling most of them would not be happy afterward...Whether on the straight track, or even on the Nurburgring....

SC400TT
If you really belive that, you are no better than the hondaish stuff you are talking about here.
Old 09-10-11, 02:33 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I paid for my car, not you, not the forum. I am free to make decisions (both good and bad) about my car, regardless of your opinion.
My car is almost 20 years old, I paid well under a grand for the damn thing. I didn't get a "clean" car, I got a busted car. Since it's not perfect, it gives me the opportunity to try things that people with "clean" cars won't do.

Taking it a step further, your opinion about mods leads me to challenge what is "allowed" to be done to a car. can I not supercharge my 1uz? can I not put an r154 behind that? I can't put a nice stereo system that will hook up to my iPod? I must leave it pretty much stock, since I can't afford/don't want YOUR mod list? What would a mod require to be PUT on your list of "acceptable?" Is there some sort of form I have to submit to the SC gods, to be considered to be permitted?

my car, my money, my taste, get the **** off of your high horses.

edit:not to say I don't agree with some of the opinions of what is tasteless, but they are still opinions. I hate some of the things done to these, and, for that reason, they won't be done to my car.
Doesnt matter how much you got your sc for. 500 or even 20k when it was produced it was bought for 50k+ brand new. When people go to buy sc'c now they dont take that into consideration nor the rise in the OEM parts prices. You have to maintain an expensive car(when it came out) like you bought it new(if its to last). You go and buy a 2002 Benz for 16k that started out around 90k, have problems and go to search for a parking sensor then end up coughing up an arm and a leg to pay for it. Why? because Mercedes sees the car as the 90k car that left the showroom and intended to provide parts for the vehicle to their spec whether or not they do the service.

Whats (allowed) is only bound by your own potential or in some cases deep pockets. I assume most in the sc community were not forced to buy one but bought it for a personal reason.
To each their own but its more a learning experience than anything which is why we are on forums. We voice opinions and learn from others, what you choose to do is up to you but remember that when modding a car think about how long the parts will last vs the life of the car. OEM vs aftermarket. Build the car from a "need" perspective before a "want" if you truly wish to enjoy its optimal potential. Most aftermarket products are intended to replaced way before the life of OEM parts, requiring more maintenance than normal and on top of that you wont have the piece of mind of knowing how long that part will last( vs oem).

Calm down and just enjoy the finer things in life. Some drive the car everyday some only tow it to track/shows but in the end no matter what no one can physically force you to do anything to your own sc. You can enjoy the stock form of your car or form the car for your enjoyment.

Last edited by scshinobi; 09-10-11 at 02:40 PM. Reason: wish i had a horse...
Old 09-10-11, 02:35 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars can still carry themselves despite their age, even with low(er) dollar budgets. Personally, I cant justify shelling out big bucks on certain things. Then again its all about putting money in the right places. But who cares. In the big picture it doesnt matter. If someone wants to make their car look cheesy or whatever let them. You cant please everyone, and why should you.
Old 09-10-11, 02:42 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont understand why those of you taking the OP's post personally are doing so. I seriously thought I was part of the reasoning behind the post cause of my idea with the AP2 cluster in my SC, but you didnt hear me jump the gun and get my panties in a twist.

I could really care less what people think of my SC or the mods I choose to do with it, but I am always open to criticism cause thats part of being in a automotive enthusiast community. But I do keep an open mind to what other people find appealing with their cars regardless of make and model, and I encourage individualism, but like the OP was stating, please keep the modding reasonable and tasteful. Yes some of us are driving 19/20yr old SC's, but are easily comparable to their late model counterparts, and need very little to be "up to date" with them.

I have been throwing this link around a bit, but I think it should be made mandatory during registration to read through it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-sc-forum.html

These arent S13's or S14's, and certainly not Honda's, and a few of us do hold the SC at a bit of a higher standard, but in the end another members SC isnt ours and the best we can do at times is give suggestions and constructive criticism. But flat out rude negativity, especially when replying to those silly noob questions/ideas isnt needed.

Bottom line, everyone here likes something different. We all have opinions, and make decisions. If you do a mod and get heat from it, take it in stride and keep doing what you want. After-all its your car, your choice.

And OP, Ryan if I got that correctly, I didnt even think about the SC430 cluster, and do like its simplicity...may have given me an idea.
Old 09-10-11, 02:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wasn't directing to the OP, but some of the other members (calling out shboni, on this one), those who are alot less open to any mods
I agree. If one person is telling someone else what or what not to do, then that's wrong. That's like someone telling you not to buy a house with a pool because that person does not like having a pool themselves.

I'm a firm believer that if you want to suggest mods, at least have some validity in your post. Can't go off saying "don't get a wing because its the ultimate ghey" without saying why.
Old 09-10-11, 02:52 PM
Matthieu
Driver School Candidate

Feel like I should put in my 2 cents as well.

OP: I can definitely understand your frustration but I just hope you can turn it around instead of getting upset when you see those cars or modifications you use them as ways to see all the pitfalls you avoided to create the car you are clearly so passionate about.

I have worked in custom car shops for more than 5 years, focusing on imports. It blew my mind that I had to install ridiculous modifications like large aluminum wings on hapless FWD vehicles (You would actually be surprised how FEW hondas that included). At first it drove me nuts, but I realized its the diversity that makes car culture so exciting, we all get to choose the path we want when it comes to modifications. I have seen very few SC300s in my area, one of which has been "riced out" (Ill spare details) but it doesn't bother me to see what other owners do that to their cars, in fact it makes me happy to look at my car and see how well it is coming along.

I also want to thank all the posters for doing their best to keep everything as civil as they can regarding a discussion with this much potential to turn into an internet shouting match. We are all real people behind our usernames and there is no reason we cannot be polite. (:
Old 09-10-11, 03:30 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

Complaining about this is pointless!! Do you really think people buy knock offs and neons because they think there sweet???? No they buy them because they like cars and they are affordable to them $100-$1k. Now unless u post up job openings that are paying more nothing will change!
Rice mods should be expected on all cars that sell for $2-4k. Especially ones with as much potential as the sc300. The difference is as with any car model, there will be nice SC's and Rice SC's. Its just something I think you have to come to terms with. I mean look around you can find a riced out version of just about any car out there with the exception of newer cars.
Old 09-10-11, 03:38 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid for my car, not you, not the forum. I am free to make decisions (both good and bad) about my car, regardless of your opinion.
My car is almost 20 years old, I paid well under a grand for the damn thing. I didn't get a "clean" car, I got a busted car. Since it's not perfect, it gives me the opportunity to try things that people with "clean" cars won't do.

Taking it a step further, your opinion about mods leads me to challenge what is "allowed" to be done to a car. can I not supercharge my 1uz? can I not put an r154 behind that? I can't put a nice stereo system that will hook up to my iPod? I must leave it pretty much stock, since I can't afford/don't want YOUR mod list? What would a mod require to be PUT on your list of "acceptable?" Is there some sort of form I have to submit to the SC gods, to be considered to be permitted?

my car, my money, my taste, get the **** off of your high horses.

edit:not to say I don't agree with some of the opinions of what is tasteless, but they are still opinions. I hate some of the things done to these, and, for that reason, they won't be done to my car.
Wooow!! You are taking it too serious bro....you can do whatever it is you want to YOUR car....I was merely giving my opinion....That list was what I like, you dont have to like it one bit.....So no I will not get off my high horse.......
Old 09-10-11, 03:43 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
If you really belive that, you are no better than the hondaish stuff you are talking about here.
The difference between them saying it, and Him saying it is that it is a true statement not some fictional babble that they spout at meets.
Old 09-10-11, 03:50 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I like to think of people with awful SC's as ally's.

Every hear of the "Ugly Friend Tactic" girls use it all the time. By surrounding themselves with ugly women, they themselves become hotter and more attractive.

Let people butcher their own cars, people will only laugh at them and not take them seriously. Let them park next to the REAL sc's at meets and shows. It will only make the true enthusiast's cars look better and more attractive
Old 09-10-11, 04:06 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

why do some people look like their pets.. or visa versa..
thats the same with why good looking people hang out with good looking people..
i dont agree with the hanging out with ugly people makes them look better.. just vain.

aside from that.

All the OP's post is, in my eyes, is a venting session because his opinion is people cant do what they want to their car, because its not always done in a "classy" way.
well now whats "classy" to him will be different to what "classy" is to another person.
so his whole mini rant was his own opinion.
and yet everyonelse here who has their OWN opinions about how they can do what they want.. is their opinion and right as well.

so those of you thinking people taking it personally shouldnt? why shoudlnt they to a point its being directed at everyone, as not everyone has the same tastes.
Old 09-10-11, 04:28 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think variety is what keeps things interesting and just because it isn't my style doesn't mean it shouldn't make the actual owner happy...Many of the folks are just starting out and need some guidance on what other alternatives they should be looking into.
Dave, thanks for jumping in with your valuable thoughts...I totally agree with you...And I want to reiterate that even though I may not like a particular mod that someone applies to their car, I do agree that it is their car, and they can do what they want...And I will never personally attack them for it...But, just as I have had criticism about some of my mods, I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I gotta be honest with you Fonz...I do believe exactly what I posted...And I totally disagree with your assertion...But I do not understand how that gets a comment from you like this one...I can't even see how they relate...Keep this in mind...Most Super cars weigh as much as the SC, if not more...and most of them make around 500 crank horsepower or so...It is not that difficult to build a car that will destroy them in a 0-60 mph contest, or even a 1/4 mile contest. And with the right tuning of the suspension, and an equivalent driver, road courses too.

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I dont understand why those of you taking the OP's post personally are doing so. I seriously thought I was part of the reasoning behind the post cause of my idea with the AP2 cluster in my SC, but you didnt hear me jump the gun and get my panties in a twist.

...And OP, Ryan if I got that correctly, I didnt even think about the SC430 cluster, and do like its simplicity...may have given me an idea.
Agreed turbodremz...I did not attack anyone personally...Let me knowif it looks feasible with the 430 cluster...it would work with our cars, and it would look clean...Ten times better that the Stack or the Soarer digital cluster...Plus, no KPH to deal with.

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
The difference between them saying it, and Him saying it is that it is a true statement not some fictional babble that they spout at meets.
Thanks JDM I appreciate the back up...Sometimes I think people just don't take the time to comprehend what someone is posting...WHile I do not agree with some of the "mods" some are doing, I obviously was stating a metaphor when I stated in my original post that I thought about parting out my car and buying an Aston...If I was not committed to my project, if I did not want to follow through and complete it, if I was not serious, if I did not love this car, I would have never even started the project over 5 years ago...

Members, I love this car, no matter how old it gets, or what each of you do to your SC's...And even if I do not approve of a mod, which I have the prerogative to not like and even post up my disapproval (as long as I do it respectfully and tactfully), then I can do so...This is a public forum with many varying opinions...And at the same time, you can all dislike everything I have done to my ride, and that is ok, and I would be fine with it...This is not about being on a high horse, it is about attempting to take this car to the next level...(Deron, you get that? ), it is about my interpretation of what I think Lexus could have done if they kept the car in production, but improved upon it...That is all...

I want to encourage you all to please not take this personal, and to please keep this civil, but speak your opinions...

I do agree though...I was venting my thoughts and frustrations with the direction of this wonderful car that Toyota designed...

SC400TT

Last edited by SC400TT; 09-10-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 04:28 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

lmao at all the butt-hurts taking comments personally. If a person gets offended by the OP's post, that pretty much means that person is exactly who the OP is talking to. Kinda reminds me of that meme, "build cruddy car, call everyone haters"
I've also been taking notice of this trend among most sc's, the reasoning behind why I have been logging on less and less, save the times I'm selling stuff on here. Not a huge fan of this community anymore, but I do like my sc and don't really intend on selling it off anytime soon since I have so much more i want to do to/with it.

People need to leave the drama and go wrench on their sc, or drive it to its limits, or cruise through town to attract females and just have some fun. It's a damn car.
Old 09-10-11, 04:32 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hil

lmao im bout to do the same
Old 09-10-11, 04:54 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

First of all the op nailed it here.

To those that say who cares its there car let them do what they want your wrong.

They arent making these cars anymore and the few that are left running being abused is just wrong.

That mentality is the same as the spoiled kid with nice toys smashing them on the ground and saying 'its my toy I can do what I want'.

Grow up.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Well said, I just remember the stitched up air bag, and using tape as "eyelids" etc etc.

Thus is why i'm trying to sell my car and move onto a newer platform.
Im not trying to argue again man weve done enough of that but im curious, did something go wrong with your 5 speed swap??

You never complained about your car before hand and as soon as the swap was done u put it for sale and started bashing it big time, I mean if u hated your car so much why try to swap a 5 speed in???

Quick Reply: No Dis Intended - Mods, Are You Serious?