SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Plasti dipping whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 06:49 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ have to agree. The one thing i noticed on these forums is SC guys get so butthurt over anyone remotely suggesting a car better than theirs. Nice to see you and a few others can keep it real.

I drive a glorified Camry, es300. You guys drive a glorified Toyota Soarer, which for above (clueless) poster came out well before your precious SC... They were sold well before anyone thought up the Lexus brand.
Old 09-14-11, 06:54 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Actually it holds up to a pressure washer it applied properly.

Well for one the S4 Im talking about isnt a 20yr old TOYOTA...remember, Toyota does make Lexus, or would you like the Wikipedia info on Lexus..?

I give up. Seems Im not a "true" Lexus SC owner cause I dont put my SC on a pedestal, and cause Im not afraid to try something thats considered a bit "cheap" at times..or "junk yard" work, whatever that means..guess your referring to my LS1, which btw didnt come from a junk yard.

done/
plasti dip: really? good to know. reason y i said that is because my emblems were plasti dipped and i hated them... my girl scratched it off with the greatest of ease...lol

no man i guess im with u... lol i think its funny sometimes that ppl talk about these cars like there million dollar sports cars. im no hater but to me its just a car. if u bought it brand new from lexus for 50k then i can see where ur coming from on the taking care of it as if it were new. otherwise its ur car ur money OP.

i would go with a vinly wrap in flat black... unless u have a very steady hand it will not come out even. the g35 u posted u can see the imperfections in the paint. plus plasti dip aint cheap when u buy four hundred and ninty two cans of it. vinyl is not that expensive if ur willing to try it urself.

Last edited by cmh; 09-14-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 07:06 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Uh sir, age has nothing to do with it. I've driven everything from a 69 Camaro SS that fetchs far more than your car probably would, but that doesn't mean it makes it junk because its older now does it?

Toyota does make Lexus yes, but Lexus designed it in America and did not base it off something else - that to me makes it a very unique car alone, let alone all the Luxury features that a lot of modern day cars still don't have without paying out the rear for them.

I go junk yard hunting all the time? Does that mean that I consider myself cheap? No it just means parts are getting harder and harder to find, so it's better to grab now.

I drove that last weekend, does that mean that I think it's better than my car? Not really, every piece felt cheap to me on the interior that was plastic - leather felt great but the rest felt flimsy to me.

Would I take my SC over the Porsche? You bet your ***, as much as it annoys me some days. I wouldn't take plasti-dip near either car, it's just cheap and junky looking. If it's your car do what you want, but people asked for an opinion, and thats my opinion.
Old 09-14-11, 07:07 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
wow...this thing is great at making nice luxury cars look dirt cheap

lol very well said
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
3-4k wheels and then $30 paint job.

At this rate nothing surprises me anymore.
lol its only going to go downhill from here
Old 09-14-11, 07:22 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it to someone who owns a G..
Old 09-14-11, 07:59 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would u want to be sponsored by plasti dip? If u want a flat paint job for less then paint I would just wrap the car with a vinyl. Plasti dip is good for emblems or a spoiler but not a whole car.
Old 09-14-11, 08:03 AM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

I personally wouldn't mind plasti dipping my whole car white. Different strokes for different fokes
Old 09-14-11, 08:10 AM
cheez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I dont understand why so many of you are being negative about it....plasti dip peels off!! Not to mention its easy to work with, and if done right can look great. The Audi S4 guys like it, and sorry but I hold an S4 a bit higher in standards than my SC:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...tte-white-pd-2

Yes I support it cause for one Im considering doing my SC white, and second the plasti dip paint has been mentioned here before and it was supported simply cause it can be removed easily. And there is a big difference between plasti dip and spray paint.

We drive glorified Toyota's, get off the everything being rice thing cause you dont agree with it.
I second this, plasti dip isn't so bad. My brother used it to paint his lip on his 350z, and it looks pretty good. And if applied right it doesn't "come off with heavy rain"
Old 09-14-11, 08:23 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If alot of you guys look at the SC as an over priced Toyota, why would that S4 be any different? Then we can also say that that S4 is just a Jetta with Audi badges?

And c'mon, seriously, plasti-dip? I thought alot of you guys are over "Tokyo Drift" already? It's been 5 years since it came out! Lowrider guys spend 100K on a paint job on a '63 Chevy Impala, and you guys driving a Lexus... I know it's your car guys, but stop wondering why the price of SC's are dipping when alot of people treat their's janky...

Last edited by OG Dada; 09-14-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 08:46 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

How many cans would I need? J/k!

Why not just vinyl wrap?
Old 09-14-11, 08:50 AM
gdoutlex
Pole Position

like they say different strokes for different folks, heres my other car plastidipped.
RICER HONDA lol

"to each its own"
Old 09-14-11, 08:52 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

to OP the picture you posted wasnt plastidip it was a flat black wide body g35.

Originally Posted by TechGreek
It screams "Hey look at me, I finally made enough money to graduate out of the buy everything as cheap as possible for my Honda Civic and now I'm ruining this car too!"

Luxury = Paint
Ricer = Plasti-Dip/Primered Car
What is this...cuz BMW, Benz etc all have an option for flat paint. In fact it cost more to have it done. My car is flat/satin black and i dont think it looks ricer!
Old 09-14-11, 08:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ823
Id like to hear more on this too. What do you guys use to protect your rims? What about this armor all rim protectant?
Armorall is garbage. If you want the best that lasts the longest, you want a nano coating like Aquartz, Cquartz, or Opti Coat 2.0.

Other options are to use a paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Powerlock.

Personally, I use Collinite 476S on my wheels. It's probably the strongest wax on the market, stronger than both the sealants I reccomended. Pretty easy to apply (put it on thin) and buff off after hazing. It should last roughly 6 months with daily driving. It makes the surface super slick, the brake dust wipes off like butter.
Old 09-14-11, 08:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Make sure you prep the wheels before you protect them though.... use a good paint cleaner to remove any heavily bonded contaminants, than put on the sealant/coating/wax.
Old 09-14-11, 10:16 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I understand dipping the wheels, but the whole car? C'mon...This is retarded.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipping whole car?