SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Plasti dipping whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 01:31 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3jd
Um dude really. im a very pacient person but ur ignorance pisses me off. lexus sc300/400 was the american version of te toyota soarer. really and also the soarer was made based off the mk4 supra. why u think u can take everything off a supra and put it on the sc. So if u dont know what ur talking about then just keep ur mouth shut. or as everyone say google it and ull find the truth

hey look i googled http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...soarer/1991_5/
Originally Posted by TechGreek
You're a ****ing moron! I've got a huge book with pictures of them designing the car. So who's right Lexus or you? Lol get the **** out of here with your lulzinternetcantfinishawordwithouttypingitalltenyearoldattitude.

The American Calty design team took a different approach to designing the car,[5] using plaster molding shapes to design the body,[3] and working three-dimensionally instead of the traditional 2-D sketch approach.[3] As described by design chiefs Denis Campbell and Erwin Lui,[3] the result was a car that was based on "emotion and feeling" rather than linear aesthetics. The resulting design possessed almost no straight edges, and produced a drag coefficient of Cd 0.31.[3] According to automotive journalist Bill Russ, the SC design was considered influential among automotive designs of the time.[4]

The SC 400 débuted on June 1, 1991 in the United States as a 1992 model. The SC 400's 4.0*L V8 1UZ-FE, the same engine as used in the LS 400, was reported to have cost over US$400,000,000 in research and development.[6] The SC 400 was honored as the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year for 1992. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1992 through 1998.
To back up what TechGreek is saying, look at this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4-odN2oIU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC

You mister 20 posts need to research first before saying anything. SC was designed by Toyota because the Lexus brand was still new in other countries and they needed to put out a sports coupe so Lexus can go head to head, market-wise with Mercedes Benz and BMW. MK4 Supra was based on the SC because Toyota was very satisfied how it performed that they needed to put out a sports coupe under the Toyota name in other countries. This have been discussed here already so many times and since your new you might wanna research it first.

And if you think about it logically, why would Toyota design a light weight Supra first before designing a heavy weight SC???

Last edited by OG Dada; 09-14-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 01:44 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sc31jd - you think you know something no one else does but WE ALL KNOW THE MK4 and SC share the same chassis. let it go.

Also no one in this thread said they wanted to plasti dip their car... Why do people get so offended? Basically most of you are saying you wouldn't do it ONLY bc its cheap.... Ok cool... but Im sure there are people around the car community who would dip their cars when they could've easily paid for a paint job that's worth 3k but instead wanted to try something else... I'm not much of an image guy myself so maybe I don't understand having to have a super amazing paint job or nothing. I personally would try it out and if I didn't like it I would peel it off... I believe there was a IS350 and many other Lexus's that dipped their emblems. Are they cheap asses because they did that? Does the Lexus name get frowned upon now because they used plasti dip part of their car, (yes I know their just emblems not the whole car..... bla bla bla save your fingers!)

but maybe im missing the point... but this thread went downhill fast.... no one seems to be accepting to a new idea. if i saw an SC that looked as good as the A4 I would be in awe.

why are we talking about chassis's now anyway this thread about plasti dip! happens every thread "cars old" "but the car is ahead of its time".... anyone ever thought about people thinking different things about their SC? I think its an old car yes but its still nice. You can rag it out i dont care but im gonna try and make mine nice... just because its 15 years old or w/e doesnt mean its junk. its still your car that you drive around, you own it because you like it.

Last edited by iridebmx; 09-14-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 02:14 PM
fatkhoa
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW that looks great, is that the oem color?

Originally Posted by Klaus
You guys didn't think that matte white S4 looked good?

Old 09-14-11, 02:15 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc3jd
And u still havent realized ur car was based off the mk4 chassis?
Perhaps you missed the part were it was DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA with a freaking blown tube of glass. If you knew anything about our cars, you would know this, but instead you continue to look like the moron you are.

It would be one thing if you were arguing an opinion, but you're arguing facts.

In 1990, following the successful launch of its upscale Lexus division outside of Japan, Toyota commissioned its California design studio Calty to develop a new luxury coupe. In 1991, this vehicle debuted in the U.S. as the Lexus SC 300/400. In the same year, the third generation Toyota Soarer debuted in Japan as the Z30 series, replacing the Z20 series in that market. The Z30 series Soarer shared the body and key components with the Lexus SC, but featured different interior features, powertrain configurations, and other performance enhancements.
Designed in the US? No way! Why would they do that, they have mad Supra designers in Japan yo?! I made sure and underlined the years for you, since you have a problem understanding things.

The Lexus SC Coupe debuted in the United States in May 1991 as a 1992 model car. Lexus as you know started out in 1989 from it's Newport Beach, California headquarters as the Ultra Luxury Division of Toyota Motor Corp USA. The Toyota and Lexus nameplates have recently been distancing themselves more, even in Japan, for marketing purposes. In the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM), the Lexus SC coupe was sold as the Toyota Soarer. The 1992 Toyota Soarer was a third generation model of the Soarer (MKIII).
Do you want me to quote more sources, or would you prefer to kept being proven wrong? **** it why not, I enjoy putting idiots like you down.

With the new model of Supra, Toyota took a big leap in the direction of a more serious high performance car. Again using subframe, suspension and drivetrain assemblies from the Z30 Soarer (Lexus SC300/400), test model pre-production started in December 1992 with 20 models,[14] and official mass production began in April 1993.[18]
What's this? The SUPRA WAS DESIGNED OFF THE Z30? NO FRIGGIN WAY! Once again, more bolding for your, shall I say... short comings.

Now, for the last freaking time, shut up
Old 09-14-11, 02:22 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Back on topic, I would be highly accepting of a new idea if it were unique and tasteful.

My opinion is when you do something as tacky as Plastidipp on a car that is about luxury and design, you're disrespecting the car.

I also don't like tacky body kit, and dumped cars with extreme poked wheels but that's me, to each their own.
Old 09-14-11, 02:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Enough with the cursing and name calling guys. Time to ask folks to log off and cool down for a month or so if this continues.