SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

wald bodykit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-02, 03:59 PM
big bad furby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wald bodykit

hey have any of you guys heard of the wald body kit? i have a 92 sc300, and i was thinking of buying the kit. do any of you guys know if the front bumper is a complete replacement or is it just a front lip? it looks like just the front lip, and it seems as though the stock 92 front bumper is used however it also has the grill from the 97 up model sc! the pricing i found for the kit is around $1600 is that a good price?
thanks....furby
Old 09-27-02, 04:27 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think we all heard of the wald body kit. as far as i know, there are two members with this body kit. if you do a search, you might even find some pics!

by the way, $1600 is a good price.
Old 09-27-02, 05:12 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

There are two versions, one with a complete bumper, one with an add-on front clip. I think you can get it for less than $1600, but I'm not positive.
Old 09-27-02, 07:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Call WALDUSA and ask for Jon Pek, he's good ppl. Mention SC300TURBO from this board when you talk with him, and you should PM 'TURBO if you have any questions, he recently installed his kit. Oh, and they offer a full front bumper replacement which uses the older fog lamps with the newer grille, or they have a front spoiler designed to work with the oe 97+ front bumper. The rear bumper is a full replacement.
Old 09-27-02, 09:37 PM
big bad furby
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks guys

hey thanks for the info guys, i will see if i can find some more pics of the kit.
Old 09-29-02, 12:46 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

go to www.sc300turbo.com There are a bunch of pic's of the kit installed on jeff's car.
Old 09-29-02, 03:14 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

where did ya find that price? thats a good price!

also is the kit fiberglass or polyurethane? any poly kits out there?
Old 09-30-02, 12:02 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

sorry bro, no poly kits out there. if they did have one, i'd have it already....
Old 09-30-02, 04:03 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by do-luck sc
sorry bro, no poly kits out there. if they did have one, i'd have it already....
that sucks the prices on some of the kits should warrant polyurethane haha oh well
Old 09-30-02, 08:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about QUANTITY...do some research on how much it costs to make a urathane mold...not cheap...also, urathane has it's disadvantages...
Old 09-30-02, 03:26 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I find it odd how Auto Couture makes poly kits for Mercedes, but only fiberglass for Lexus...
Old 09-30-02, 04:27 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
It's all about QUANTITY...do some research on how much it costs to make a urathane mold...not cheap...also, urathane has it's disadvantages...
I know I know it costs about 10Gs for a mold but kits for car are EXPENSIVE (Autocouture)

and with Urethane hehe I have the stillen polyurethane front lip on my Maxima and damn that thing takes a beating but the only downside I've experienced is ya have to pay the paintshop more to add flexi agents in the paint i think its worth it and it makes a $3000 kit worth it too
Old 10-01-02, 06:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Urathane, once damaged, is not easy to repair...in most cases, you just toss it. For a hard to get kit from Japan, I'd rather have fixable Fiberglass...

Also, with a 10K mold, plus the cost of actually manufacturing the parts from the mold, do you know how many kits you'd have to sell to break even? These are not $3K kits...some of the kits sell for $2K retail...so you can imagine what the wholesale price is...now if they were selling direct to customers and charing $3K a kit, then yes, it would be profitable...but it doesn't work that way.

To do a urathane it, you need have enough buyers...with Lexus kits, there just aren't enough. You HEAR a lot of talk here about people wanting to buy kits (and other things) but it's 90% talk. Very few people actually buy.
Old 10-01-02, 07:21 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

I understand the reasons why and all... my personal preference is with poly urethane I've seen them run into curbs, folded underneath the car (fron parking into a curb) even seen a lip that fell off on the freeway just get repainted and slapped back on- and the manufacturing I know it would take alot of orders and alot of money my friend runs a factory in Taiwan so I asked him about making us some kits and... he said hell no haha not until we have 100s of buyers

thing I'm worried about is that the SC is a long car and parking it isnt as easy as a Civic the front end is huge- just dont wana run into any parking blocks with a fiberglass kit and come out with a totally messed up bumper- with the poly front lip on my Maxima I can run into curbs all day long (not that I do ofcourse)
Old 10-01-02, 08:24 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my fair share of curbs... You most likely wouldn't mess up your fiberglass one unless you are ^;^. The most i've done is scrape the bottom... I've never actually hit one right on.

Quick Reply: wald bodykit