JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC is Slow, Wide and loud.... Like me
Old 09-20-11, 01:31 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says I like nice things, but I'm not trying to compensate. I think it also says I'm classy, since I'm driving a future classic.

And it also has a tendency to attract jealousy, since some of the new Lexus models look either like rebadged Toyotas or just awful. With my first SC, my boss at the time looked at me and said she didn't think she paid me enough to have a Lexus coupe. I was driving a '92 SC300 at the time, and she had an RX300.

Haters.
Old 09-21-11, 03:00 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

I suppose mine might suggest I like great styling in a muscle car style vehicle. I owned a classic Mustang many years ago and replaced that with a Prelude. I liked the Honda and grew to enjoy its strengths but it wasn't an immediate click with my tastes the way the Ford was. When I test drove the Lexus, it felt a lot more like a racy Buick coupe with the driving position of a muscle car and I had that familiar click again.

To other people, I don't know what it suggests about me. It's old-world stylish, big, wide, has large tires, big, revs like it should have a small block V8 under the hood, has a very un-luxury manual transmission and is big. People probably think it's an indulgent gas-guzzler... which it is.

I don't think an SC300 or SC400 is a car you drive if you care what it "says about you". The world is becoming very efficiency conscious and this car represents none of that. You own one of these because it suits your personal taste.

...Or if you want a fairly affordable and reliable used car that can belt out 400+ horsepower without much modification.
Old 09-21-11, 12:33 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

my sc is well built, ol' school, not perfect, straight forward, and ballin on a budget just like me =)
Old 09-22-11, 07:08 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Kahn, I think they steer like an old school Caddy. The complex I live in is littered with speedbumps (that's the car god's revenge for the Pontiac Aztek), and I try to drive around them. We have one really f****d up S-curve, so I have to take it slow and throw the wheel all the way over.

Some guy was on the sidewalk yesterday, and he saw me rocking back and forth in the seat as I turned (honestly, felt like a boat). I just gave him a nod when I straightened the car- who cares, right?

I think driving this car says you still care about the experience of driving (not rush hour!) and appreciate style. It's funny, cause there are some places in our fair nation where you could park this next to a newer Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc and draw a bigger crowd.

Last edited by brerrabbit; 09-22-11 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Misspelled Aztek as Aztec- I respect the people, despise the car.
Old 09-23-11, 02:00 AM
Dubrzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 sc400

Where shall i start?
Now i have three identical in year 1998 cars.
First one had 97k miles. Black, Black Leather Seats. Beautiful Car!
Til Tomorrow.
Old 09-23-11, 02:11 AM
lulu4545
Rookie

It's sexy, classy, doesn't over compensate, gets better looking as it ages and is super awesome...
Like me (haha)
Old 09-23-11, 04:40 AM
nitroboss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That I have too much time on my hands and too much interest in a 20 year old jap import!
Old 09-26-11, 01:49 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by nitroboss
That I have too much time on my hands and too much interest in a 20 year old jap import!
Hah! That's how I feel!
Old 09-26-11, 02:07 AM
KahnBB6

brerrabbit,

Nice way of putting it. An SC definitely steers like a car from another era in a good way. I drive around speed bumps too if there are no other cars around. On s-curves the car used to handle like a boat but now the only lingering things are the steering feel and the sense that you are in a large car. Changing the suspension, seats and brakes does wonders for the chassis.

I agree with you. Driving one of these things modified for handling, braking and horsepower says you are someone still interested in the experience of driving. Unless you have a TRAC model almost everything is unassisted by electronics outside of the cabin other than ABS. It's a beautiful car that looks the part.

I don't know if most exotic car owners are that impressed with the car's performance but some may acknowledge the original styling and the great lifespan the first Lexus cars had when Mercedes had to be beaten at all costs.

For my part, I bought the car to please myself. I live driving what feels like a muscle car in a Lexus shell. Even Lexus won't build such a thing any longer. They're busy chasing M3's with their automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Kahn, I think they steer like an old school Caddy. The complex I live in is littered with speedbumps (that's the car god's revenge for the Pontiac Aztek), and I try to drive around them. We have one really f****d up S-curve, so I have to take it slow and throw the wheel all the way over.

Some guy was on the sidewalk yesterday, and he saw me rocking back and forth in the seat as I turned (honestly, felt like a boat). I just gave him a nod when I straightened the car- who cares, right?

I think driving this car says you still care about the experience of driving (not rush hour!) and appreciate style. It's funny, cause there are some places in our fair nation where you could park this next to a newer Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc and draw a bigger crowd.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-26-11 at 02:14 AM.