SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My first sc400

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 08:04 PM
s2kguy17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first sc400

Well I finally got an SC, I have wanted one for awhile but just went with other cars before I got one around my price range and condition. Well I found this car in Sarasota on craigslist for I think the guy wanted $1200. 190,000 miles 1994 sc400

I went down there to see the car and it was under a tree, door panels ripped off, stains everywhere, windshield smashed, dents here and there, I was really taking a chance. The car did start and the owner states the trans was blown and will not go into gear or shift. So I got the car for $800!

Got the car home and first thing I wanted to test out was to try to drive the car. Next thing you know the car went into gear I drove it around the block and it was fine. Drove it for a little while longer and yup, the car stop shifting the trans got hot. Jacked up the car took the pan off, took off the filter and it was disgusting, so I changed the filter and cleaned the solenoids a little and WALLA! The car drives like a champ and shifts smooth no problems added 5k since then.

On with the pics.

Nasty Interior Stains

Cracked tail light and wing wripped off.

and finally home she is so happy

new windshield!

cleaned up interior and dyed my carpet black its like night and day difference best mod ever.

Other stuff I have done to car was spark plugs,oil change, trans flush and filter, windshield,steering rack bushings,air filter,ac recharged COLD,serpentine belt,replaced broken tail light, got another wing and cleaned it multiple times and waxed the car since it was faded.

Next things to do is get some door panels when they come around cheap,brakes, coilovers, wheels and front lip. Coilovers hopefully by next month. Thats all for right now.
Old 09-19-11, 08:10 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Dude - you are GOOD! way to make a steal. You helped that guy out cuz he wanted to get rid of a supposed junker, but you made out like a bandit with your witty style. Go baby go. Keep it up man.

Your wheels seem fine though, but I'm one of the rare neanderthals that actually likes the stock wheels (even though I don't have them on mine, it came with 18" old type B Azevs).
Old 09-19-11, 08:39 PM
lulu4545
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the SC community...where fun &I happiness never ends!

I'm really liking the new black carpet...I may have to do that to mines too! Not because its dirty, but because it produces a nice contrast with the rest of the interior. What kind of dye did you use?
Old 09-19-11, 08:52 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

wow, 800 bone? thats a steal man! congrats on the pick up! and you nailed it! that black carpet looks soo much better! great progress so far
Old 09-19-11, 08:55 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well would you look at that... she just wanted a new home and a little TLC...

NICE buy man

interior looks pretty clean too minus the door panels....

SC's rock
Old 09-19-11, 09:00 PM
s2kguy17
Rookie

Thanks a lot everyone, yeh it was a mess when I got her but she drives like a champ now and I cant believe how quite the engine is..

As for the carpet I bought Rit Dye from walmart, I bought the liquid and powder but I did notice the powder made it darker when I went over it after the liquid dye. Very easy to do.
Old 09-19-11, 09:04 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on shboni.

Does that happen to be MIP? I got the same one, there's only a few of us, so we all we have. LOL
Old 09-19-11, 09:51 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find! Some people don't realize a simple fluid/filter change will make a huge difference on how the transmission operates.
Old 09-20-11, 01:26 AM
WilsonHTID
Driver School Candidate

Damn, you turned that car inside out. It's looking good. Keep it man
Old 09-21-11, 11:46 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-22-11, 12:12 AM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I think im bleeding somewhere cuz that carpet is sharp man. Think u can do it with the headliner?
Old 09-22-11, 04:24 PM
JJ823
Driver

+1 good investment for the money. I like that carpet dyed. I may do this to mine, I see a few stains. I need to find that dyi thread for it.
Old 09-26-11, 01:04 PM
s2kguy17
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arkansas
I think im bleeding somewhere cuz that carpet is sharp man. Think u can do it with the headliner?
I was thinking if I can do the headliner, I dont see why not but mine has Cigarette stains so I might just get it wrapped.

Originally Posted by JJ823
+1 good investment for the money. I like that carpet dyed. I may do this to mine, I see a few stains. I need to find that dyi thread for it.
It is really easy to do, I thought it was going to be a pain but it actually wasnt. I can give you a quick run down on what I did if anyone else wants to do it. I know there is a DIY but this is hot I did mine probably the same.

Things I bought: 1)Black Rit Dye powder and liquid for some reason powder is better IMO,you can get this at walmart. 2) A pump sprayer you use to put the liquid for bugs or weeds. Home Depot. Thats it lol

1.Take out seats,center console,lift up rear seat.
2.Remove the carpet
3.Vacuum the carpet the best you can dont wash it, since the dye wont stick.
4.Mix your Dye with hot boiling water in the sprayer.
5.Spray the carpet untill its completely satisfying to your needs.
6.Let it dry over night or 2 days. I live in FL so it was really hot out side that weekend so it dryed quick.
7.Wash off Dye with water then with shampoo.
8.If you can hang it up and let it dry.
9. vacuum again
10. Throw it back in.
Old 09-26-11, 01:59 PM
beezkneez
Driver School Candidate

good work, some elbow grease will clean this right up. the things you can find on craigslist is incredible . Good luck mate.
Old 09-26-11, 03:17 PM
JJ823
Driver

Originally Posted by s2kguy17
I was thinking if I can do the headliner, I dont see why not but mine has Cigarette stains so I might just get it wrapped.

It is really easy to do, I thought it was going to be a pain but it actually wasnt. I can give you a quick run down on what I did if anyone else wants to do it. I know there is a DIY but this is hot I did mine probably the same.

Things I bought: 1)Black Rit Dye powder and liquid for some reason powder is better IMO,you can get this at walmart. 2) A pump sprayer you use to put the liquid for bugs or weeds. Home Depot. Thats it lol

1.Take out seats,center console,lift up rear seat.
2.Remove the carpet
3.Vacuum the carpet the best you can dont wash it, since the dye wont stick.
4.Mix your Dye with hot boiling water in the sprayer.
5.Spray the carpet untill its completely satisfying to your needs.
6.Let it dry over night or 2 days. I live in FL so it was really hot out side that weekend so it dryed quick.
7.Wash off Dye with water then with shampoo.
8.If you can hang it up and let it dry.
9. vacuum again
10. Throw it back in.
Thanks Im going to be doing this. Does anyone have the other dyi thread saved? I cant find it

Quick Reply: My first sc400