SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Oil on PCV grommet.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 11:40 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on PCV grommet.

Okay this is really trivial but little stuff like this can bother me a lot.

I'm changing my PCV valve (among many other things) and I heard that people use WD40 to help get the new valve into the new grommet. I know that old grommets get brittle and crack and that a new one wont do such a thing, but I worry that unnecessary friction might tear or stretch the new grommet when I'm shoving the new valve in there. Thus the WD40 is used (also to make it easier to put in too).

ANYWAYS, I'm sure everything would be fine if I just put it in plain and simple, but I don't have WD40 and was just going to take out the engine oil dipstick, wipe my finger on it, and smear it off in the center of the grommet and THEN put the valve in.

Would anyone else do this?

Last edited by Gate; 09-20-11 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 11:52 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not use liquid hand soap? That's what I use to get hoses back on stuff and it works well.
Old 09-20-11, 04:25 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luxor
Why not use liquid hand soap? That's what I use to get hoses back on stuff and it works well.
Nice! Just tried it, worked like a charm. I still had to give it a few taps with a hammer, but it slid very comfortably and I'm sure it didn't stretch or tear the new grommet, especially with the hand soap. Put a new hose on and two new clamps as well. I'm still in the middle of a lot of other work though, can't start the car yet.
Old 09-20-11, 07:25 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A hammer?!?! To get a pcv valve in?! I pulled mine out and left the old gromet there and pushed the new one in with 2 fingers
Old 09-20-11, 10:24 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Dude I hear ya, pictures would help me help myself so much more, but the last renter at the boarding house I stay at stole my girlfriend's camera right out of her room, it was a super nice digital one too, the only one I had for using.

Anyways, I only gave it two little taps, I could have done it easily without the hammer, the hammer just made it even easier. I don't think I could have done it with two fingers though, I would have used my thumb if anything, but whatev, it's all good now.
Old 09-20-11, 11:09 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I did mine when I fixed my leaky valve cover, it was pretty easy to remove and install the new ones. I didn't use anything to push it in, but I think I used a long nose pliers to get the old one out 'cause the old rubber kept on splitting apart.
Old 09-20-11, 11:17 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingphilip
I did mine when I fixed my leaky valve cover, it was pretty easy to remove and install the new ones. I didn't use anything to push it in, but I think I used a long nose pliers to get the old one out 'cause the old rubber kept on splitting apart.
Man, EVERYONE seems to be having an easier time than me! It took me 10 minutes to get my old one out with big *** pliers! I was yanking a pulling with all my might, finally had to twist it a little bit with each tug, finally came out, I guess I'm just weak, I'm 6 3" and weigh 140 pounds, not very good for leverage.
Old 09-20-11, 11:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can see where you're coming from. I'm 5'4" (I'm Filipino, don't wonder) and my SC's not that low, but whenever I'm fixing under the hood my thighs would ache so bad from the angle my body needs to do to be able to access stuff from under the hood.
Old 09-20-11, 11:35 PM
Gate
Pole Position

I can see where you're coming from. I'm 5'4" (I'm Filipino, don't wonder) and my SC's not that low, but whenever I'm fixing under the hood my thighs would ache so bad from the angle my body needs to do to be able to access stuff from under the hood.
Hah yeah I guess its different for everybody, a bunch of different places to get the kink, i bet we all get it somewhere just depends on your body structure, for me, a few hours in the engine will really attack my lower back most of all
Old 09-21-11, 08:28 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Haha dude we are like the opposite, you did your pcv cuz you were doing your valve cover, I did my valve cover cuz i was doing pcv. The grommet shattered into millions of little shards and dust particles, it was ancient, it was hell trying to fish them out, so i was like screw this and just took the cover off, while it was off and i got the pieces out i was like hey this would look pretty awesome in metallic red so I took the other cover off and cleaned and painted them, pics soon, if i can borrow one of my buds cameras, aint got my own