Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In here for subscription I'll come back and read posts later
Old 09-22-11, 09:38 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How important is the fan clutch? Wouldn't the fan still spin pretty fast since its belt driven?
Old 09-22-11, 10:16 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Is there a way to test and see if the stock fan clutch is still strong?

I had a nightmare scenario a few years ago. My fan clutch burned out on an older 90's Mercedes E-Class that I owned. The car overheated and I blew the head gasket. I'd prefer to not have that happen again obviously lol.

A few days ago someone mentioned spinning it in a certain direction and see if it feels tighter during a full rotation. I tried spinning it in both directions, and it seems to spin freely to me. There is a little resistance but it's not stopping or anything.
Simple.

If the motor / engine bay is cold - the fan should spin somewhat freely (you'll feel resistance).

If the motor / engine bay is hot - the fan should feel snug and harder to turn, generally if you spin it it shouldn't make more than one rotation before stopping it self.

Check with the motor off, obviously.
Old 09-23-11, 09:26 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TechGreek
Simple.

If the motor / engine bay is cold - the fan should spin somewhat freely (you'll feel resistance).

If the motor / engine bay is hot - the fan should feel snug and harder to turn, generally if you spin it it shouldn't make more than one rotation before stopping it self.

Check with the motor off, obviously.
Ok I did this and it spins in several rotations in either direction with out stopping. It has resistance, I'm assuming I need a new one correct?

What's the best way to install a new one? Remove the shroud, unbolt fan, unbolt clutch motor, and reverse? I don't have to mess with the water pump or serp belt correct?
Old 09-23-11, 10:16 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Is it cold or hot in the engine bay and the motor. That will make a difference in resistance.

Think of it like a clutch in a car, when it's hot, you've got the clutch engaged 100% and when it's cold, it's like slipping the clutch to keep the gas mileage up and un-needed drag off the motor.

Easiest way to replace it is to get a 12MM ratcheting wrench, and something to un-do the belt (I use a torque wrench due to leverage I can get on it).

1) Loosen the 12MM nuts (x4) on the water pump pulley, but don't take them off
2) Loosen the tensioner and take the belt off water pump pulley section only [to save time]
3) Undo the 12mm nuts all the way now.
4) Remove the clutch fan and hydraulic assembly.
5) Using a ratchet (10mm I believe) swap the fan over to the new assembly [four bolts I believe].
6) Put it back on the water pump pulley and get the 12mm nuts on as tight as they will go without turning the pulley.
7) Put the belt back on
8) Finish torquing the 12mm nuts down.

I did it in the O'Reillys parking lot in 10 minutes.