SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 car crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 05:12 PM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 car crash

Ok everyone looking for opinions and suggestions. I was in a wreck and the cost of repair is more than the car is worth but not by much. I don’t care I’m keeping this car lol. I got hit on the passenger back side so it got my wheel well panel, bumper, tail light and the trunk frame on the floor. I’m not giving up on this car lol I need to know maybe some good but not as expensive shops to weld and sand down a new back fender part and I need a nice cheap oem used bumper. I got the tail lights that I want to use but I will wait till later on those. I’m out in Scottsdale AZ and any help or suggestions extra parts that someone has would be nice. This isn’t set in stone and I still am figuring out if I am going to fight the other guys insurance.
Old 09-23-11, 05:49 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have pics of the damage i would shop around at local body shops and if u check the classifieds you can get deals on bumpers, lights etc. might be time to start looking into a kit. any reason in particular you HAVE to keep this car??
Old 09-23-11, 05:50 PM
Gate
Pole Position

"Fight" is a scary word. Hopefully they'll give you what they owe you, but there's a point to draw the line - that is to say, how hard are you willing to "fight" for the compensation? If they're stubborn enough, it might not be worth it to pursue, I'm interested to learn how your dealings with the other party will develop.

Always have a backup plan though. Hope you get to keep the car and that the majority of it wont come out of your pocket.

BTW how badly was their vehicle damaged?
Old 09-23-11, 06:15 PM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

check junkyards. im going next week to get a front bumper and yesterday i got a new window motor and door handle there for $35 compared to the cheapest window motor i found online for $160. also i noticed that you're in arizona and a guy on here just had a car fire (only the front end is damaged) so if you could find the junk yard its at (hopefully close to you) you could get the parts really cheap.

Last edited by JDMJoe239; 09-23-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 01:11 PM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so it just wont be worth the fight because they did stand firm. Sorry for the lack of pictures I was at work when i did post this but here are some pics of the damage.

The damage isn't that bad as you can see, its just expensive to fix.

This car has been a family car straight from the lot so I for sure know its history and that the maintenance of this car has been good and babied before it was given to me, now i did/do all of its maintenance. At which has more of a sentimental value to me because of the work I don't expect anyone to understand that's just how i feel. It was my first car and I will keep it till it is in my definition totaled.

Unfortunately they are not going to cover the whole estimated damage, this car is what they valued at 7,900 dollars. At which the damage is at around 8,000 or more. Now what i am going to do it talk to the shop that i want to get it done because they say this damage is a easy fix, just well, you know sc parts, they are expensive. I want to get a quote from the shop though and if its around that much talk to them to exclude the light exhaust and in what you cant see in the picture the trunk floor/ corner trunk frame. Im sure that should bump the price down at which i can fix the trunk then get new lights and also a dual exhaust ends and put them on myself. Then show the insurance company that the estimate repair is actually less than the value of the car. If taking those things off still doesn't bring it down than i can ask to just have a new bumper and painted and I will put it on myself to maybe take off the assembly fee.

Junk yards around here for some reason don't seem to have the sc, the closest one is texas lol. I will see if that one that had obviously a overheated engine, hard to believe that could happen out here in AZ lol jkjk but i will start looking around for that car to look at its parts.

Thank you for the comments, concerns and information.
Old 09-24-11, 01:16 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I would let them total it, buy it back, and buy another SC...unless you have a personal connection. No matter what you are still going to get screwed. When you go to sell it, no body wants a wrecked car...
Old 09-24-11, 01:42 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see many of the reasons why you want to keep the car, I'm with you on this one! Fight the other guy's insurance!
Old 09-24-11, 01:50 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a really common problem with SC's. The previous owner of my SC had very similar body damage and he repaired it. I knew about it when he sold it to me and I was fine with it because it drove fine and it was well maintained otherwise. My opinion is if they are going to pay you 8k for it then take the money. Keep fighting them until you get the money. Though, I would see if I could buy the car back if I were you. You may be able to score it for 1K or 2K or so, and that would be such a nice score. You could probably do the body work yourself (assuming the frame is straight).
Old 09-24-11, 02:34 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

that can be fixed dude. find someone who will repair it. u may need the frame pulled, not sure. but u can get the fender skin from any number of years 92-01.

thats mosdef fixable.
Old 09-24-11, 02:42 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

That's not too bad. The right shop will get either a rear half cut, or right rear cut and weld in the new panel. Best way to do it, grind down factory welds and separate the panel and make a cut all around, weld it in and paint.

That is not 8K of damage... Not sure what your insurance is trying to fool you with.

Lowball them on the car, buy it back, and source these parts for <500$, and maybe 300$ for a used quarterpanel.

We have a 2nd gen GS300 at the shop that needs two doors, frame pull, B pillar [as it kinked inwards the car], fender, paint. And that was 6K... Including 'new' doors...

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
I would let them total it, buy it back, and buy another SC...unless you have a personal connection. No matter what you are still going to get screwed. When you go to sell it, no body wants a wrecked car...
Look at what they go for now... i don't think OP cares for 'down the road' value...
Old 09-24-11, 02:50 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

well now that i know ur family owned it since day one then i can see wantin to fight for it. and as stated above that looks fixable and not worth 8k
Old 09-24-11, 04:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

body shops are notoriously high priced.

Guaranteed you can get this fixed and painted for a fraction of 8 grand.

Used bumper 150 -200$
Lights u say u already have them 0$
Quarter panel repair-fram straightening if necessary 1000-1500$ maybe less if you can do work yourself.
Paint $500 maximum --much less if you can do it yourself.

I just dont see where 8 grand comes into play, I dont know how these places are in business to be honest.
Old 09-24-11, 05:49 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

^^^ what do you mean body shops are high priced? people that sell used body parts for 97 and up SC's are just as expensive. Hell I have 800 in bumper covers, side skirts grille I still don't fog lights and lower door moldings.

but anyway this is all besides the point. did you get the car fixed for way less than 8000 dollars
Old 09-24-11, 05:57 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Keep your fists clenched dude (figuratively). Do what you gotta do. That's your baby right there.

btw what is that car BEHIND the Acura? That thing looked thrashed. Are you having to deal with them at all?
Old 09-24-11, 06:04 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Try I-17 Auto Recyclers, they have a good collection of Lexus cars along with a few SCs. Also Pick N Pull in Chandler had about 3 SCs last time I went. You may be able to score a rear quarter panel for a good price at either of those junk yards. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: sc300 car crash