SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 in the 13s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 06:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bean
So what you're saying is; its not possible to run low 12s with a BPU Supra?
No, i'm saying what I said, you can't swap a GTE into an SC and run low 12's with a grand in mods, if you disagree then show me a single guy that's done it, or prove me wrong and do it yourself .
Old 10-01-02, 07:25 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Rememeber any BPU Supra that is running low 12s is a Strong BPU, perhaps BPU+, has a 6 spd tranny, has larger clutch, has LSD, has larger rear contact patch, has less weight, etc, etc, etc...
Many BPU timeslips in the low 12s/ high 11s are with slicks or DRs, too. --- And these are advantages that require the whole Supra driveline in order to take the most advantage.

There is NO BPU combo that would produce a reliable low 12 second timeslip without using the WHOLE TT driveline. You may get by with just the 6spd and an LSD, but eventually half shafts will give up. The 6spd from the tranny back is really what is ideal.

If you're thinking about Jeff's runs (11.9 seconds) think about his car... 440rwhp at that time, (and a STRONG 440!), 5spd, strong clutch, slicks. His car also shredded the pressure plate sending parts through the block by running slicks on the 5spd. (His 440 was much, much stronger than ANY BPU)
Old 10-01-02, 08:14 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His car also shredded the pressure plate sending parts through the block by running slicks on the 5spd.
Food for thought.
That would really suck.
Old 10-01-02, 08:14 PM
Danner
Driver School Candidate

the cheapest supra tt motor i could find with everything i need is 5500 + install. I have a good mechanic not to worried about it. I jus figured i would mod the engine already in it. or is this a stupid idea?
Old 10-01-02, 08:49 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

maybe think about nitrous and an engine rebuild with forged internals? just food for thought, dont know if it will buy you 13's

Last edited by boredguy77; 10-01-02 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 08:49 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

is this a stupid idea?
No.

Hey I didn't realize you are in Ky. Join us this Saturday and you can see my SC. I have a few parts laying around to go turbo but it is not installed yet.

Lexington Green

Come on out.

Later,
AJ
Old 10-01-02, 09:03 PM
Danner
Driver School Candidate

WHERE?
Old 10-01-02, 09:13 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Dude, click on the link and reply to the thread in the SELOC forum

We are meeting at Lexington Green on Saturday Oct. 5 from 4pm to 5pm and taking it from there. There is more info in the thread. Feel free to contact me. Look forward to seeing you there.

AJ
Old 10-01-02, 09:27 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, EXACTLY my point, swap in a healthy GTE, the Getrag, TT LSD and axles, RPS clutch, a set of ET Streets and rims to mount them on, and remove 100+ lbs from the car, thennnn do the BPU mods for about $1500 depending on how much instrumentation you feel you need, and you could click a low 12 with decent temp and barometer, and a clean warm track surface (and no headwinds Scott ), but that's alot more than a grand over the cost of the motor Bean, I know you're all for doing it on a budget, I was a student once too , but it just ain't gonna happen brother. Budget several thousand for it, i've set a goal of having $30-35,000 set aside for purchase of an automatic SC3 plus Stage 2 w/ E6K plus all peripherals, meters, etc. (At this point it looks like i'll be shipping it to Lance, or i'll wire Jeff the money and have him find me an SC3 around Miami and drive it to Toyomoto). Doing it strictly on horsepower, the stock automatic with a valve body and the oe diff, it could then click off a low 12 or high 11 on a slick or DOT, and that's after about 17 grand in parts and labour on top of 16-17 thousand to purchase a nice SC3, and to go any faster than that, i'd need another six grand or so for an SP trans, converter, and LSD. Yeah, I know, it can be done for much less Bean, but just think about how much cashish Jeff spent to click off that 11.90 (and every penny well spent ), and how much he just spent to be able to dive well into the tens while watching a DVD.....

- Jon

awj, i've had a clutch explode and send large shrapnel into the floorpan and unibody members, the guy I sold my Formula to had the clutch incinerate on the 1-2 shift on 26x10 slicks on the street during a run against this guy's Mustang, and when we got it up on the lift it looked like WWIII under there, this little piggie went to market, this little piggie got sawed off by clutch fragments........
Old 10-01-02, 09:41 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Unhappy

Loosing little piggies is not a pleasant thought either. So maybe it would be well worth it to buy a solid clutch guaranteed up to say 1,000hp and let some component beyond that fail? Something with less shrapnel.
Old 10-01-02, 09:46 PM
Danner
Driver School Candidate

ok. i found a 93 sc300 5-speed with 89k. the guy is asking 8500. so should i take the other money and just buy a single turbo kit and IC and required electronics. or swap a healthy 2jzgte complete engine? which is cheaper? say i have 12k
Old 10-01-02, 09:47 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Make sure nothing is wrong with it. Then buy it it you like it. Where did you find it? I would do the turbo kit - but you can do the swap. It won't get done for 4k though.

Last edited by awj; 10-01-02 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 11:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Danner, depends on your goals, but it's this simple; if you're looking for 300-600 rwhp the GE is the way to go, if you're looking for 600-1000+ rwhp the GTE should be your choice.
Old 10-02-02, 09:34 AM
projectsc
Pole Position

I'm a college student also and will be purchasing my SC300 5 speed in the spring. I have seen a few w/ 80k miles for 8k and around there and thats with living in NY. I think I saw one for sale that Jon(lex luthor) was looking at since whne he had describe it it sounded like the exact one I was looking at on the autotrader.

EVEN with going to college I am on a budget I also think of it as even with a budget....those expenses will eventually come back and might even be more if something bad happens. Once I get my car I will be driving down to Toyomoto and having a stage 2 kit installed, 6 speed tranny w/ LSD), and anything else I will need to run my sc smoothly. And if I remember correctly I should be running around 11s with this setup correct?
Old 10-03-02, 12:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC300T
Rememeber any BPU Supra that is running low 12s is a Strong BPU, perhaps BPU+, has a 6 spd tranny, has larger clutch, has LSD, has larger rear contact patch, has less weight, etc, etc, etc...
Many BPU timeslips in the low 12s/ high 11s are with slicks or DRs, too. --- And these are advantages that require the whole Supra driveline in order to take the most advantage.

There is NO BPU combo that would produce a reliable low 12 second timeslip without using the WHOLE TT driveline. You may get by with just the 6spd and an LSD, but eventually half shafts will give up. The 6spd from the tranny back is really what is ideal.

If you're thinking about Jeff's runs (11.9 seconds) think about his car... 440rwhp at that time, (and a STRONG 440!), 5spd, strong clutch, slicks. His car also shredded the pressure plate sending parts through the block by running slicks on the 5spd. (His 440 was much, much stronger than ANY BPU)
I said low 12s with traction

strong BPU? last i checked BPU was intake, exhaust, boost increase and equalled 400rwhp... enough to run 117mph traps and hit low 12s with a good launch

strong 440? sorry Scott, I respect you and all and think you're very intelligent; but there's no such thing as a strong or weak 440... you either make 440 or you don't; there's no strong about it... this is the kind of **** i see from clubsi and freshalloy.com

you're right about the reliable 12 second timeslips though getting low 12s would take a great launch; and to continuously do that you'd need the 6-speed (or built auto) and all the other fixins

Last edited by Bean; 10-03-02 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: sc300 in the 13s