SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Conversion to black interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 12:54 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting, i might try this on a piece.

any idea on what exactly i need to buy?
MolecuBond Aerosol 6 oz. (definitely)
MolecuBond Prep 4 oz. (cleaner, couldn't i just clean it myself and then use alcohol to finish it off?)
MolecuBond Clear Coat aerosol 12 oz. (will it look oem w/ a clear coat?)

as soon as i find out what i need i'll go ahead and start ordering
Old 04-27-03, 08:02 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably best to call the manufacturer on the cleaning details, and which exact item to use for your application.. I'd hate to mislead anyone and have your stuff get messed up, since this is permanent after applied.
Old 04-27-03, 10:11 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hmm

This looks VERY interesting.... hellasboy keep us updated If this works I may be changing my Interior to Black after all Also where can I find out more about carpet dyes?

95sc300t : How long has your friend has this on his interior ??? Does it still hold up after long periods of time ???

Shawn
Old 04-27-03, 10:31 AM
95sc300t
Driver

He has had it on his for a couple of months, but I havn't been able to check it out for quite a while, because he hasn't been around for a bit. I'll see if I can track him down in a couple of days and have a looksee.
Old 04-27-03, 11:52 PM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

what about the white interiors?! it's nice toooo..

black looks veryyyy cleannn... how did u do the trim around the middle console?! it's so shinyy... oooo *drools*
Attached Thumbnails Conversion to black interior-interior1.jpg  
Old 04-28-03, 01:11 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

DAMN... That white interior looks nice (could've skipped the chrome though).... i've never seen that interior of an SC before.

Well, they emailed me back and i'm going to place an order (Aerosol and clear coat aerosol) in the morning. I'm going to test it out on the gear shifter (was going to re-order a new one anyways) and see how it holds up. if it holds up good and looks oem, then me and a buddy are going to take apart the interior and get rid of the brown

Last edited by hellasboy; 04-28-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 01:12 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Some of it looks good but some of it looks like he spilled whiteout on it.
Old 04-28-03, 01:52 AM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by siniquezu
Some of it looks good but some of it looks like he spilled whiteout on it.
yeah.. gotta get it re-detailed..i havent had time to do it..

and the "chrome" trim.. hehe i got a thing for chrome
Old 04-28-03, 09:20 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Having the interior recovered was expensive as hell and the MANY little things that end up costing a fortune (*****,etc)...If I had to do it over I'd sell the car and find one with black interior.

If you havent went mod crazy, then I'd look to trade it in for one with bLK interior. It may end up costing a few bucks to get the trade, but you will end up saving on time and sourcing parts.

Hey, The white interior looks great, I like the chrome too...
Old 04-28-03, 09:25 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

any more pics of the white interior?
Old 04-28-03, 10:58 PM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

Talking

yea i have more interior shots of my car...

but unfortunately, i have no time to scan them..

when i get a chance, i'll scan them and post them up.
Old 05-01-03, 09:33 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, I stopped by pep boys and bought a can (you have to order 6 at a time from the website). you can also get it at walmart. overall, it looks good. feels about the same. It appears dry (you can handle it) after 5 minutes of it being sprayed on, but i'm going to let it cure at least for 12 hours. i had some scrape off but that was about a half hour after i applied it. it looks real nice on the leather.

oh, and i applied it to the shifter on the SC. It's a part that i was going to replace soon anyways and it's high use (where the air vents under the windshield wouldn't be). if it can hold up for a month on a high use part then i'll go ahead and de-brown the interior

pictures

Old 05-01-03, 09:52 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow looks nice...Gotta pic of the product you used?
Old 05-01-03, 09:56 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by OoLiLMaRyoO
what about the white interiors?! it's nice toooo..

black looks veryyyy cleannn... how did u do the trim around the middle console?! it's so shinyy... oooo *drools*
Driving with a white dash board and interior is very blinding in daylight..So that is a big NO NO!...Since white reflex light, it makes your visibilty in front of you limited...(for example: if you put a piece of WHITE paper on your dash board you will see its reflection on your windshield)

Therefore, all you see is white in front of you and nothing else...That is why black and dark colors is usually the color for dashboards...These colors absorbs light rather than reflect it...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 05-01-03 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 01:31 AM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Driving with a white dash board and interior is very blinding in daylight..So that is a big NO NO!...Since white reflex light, it makes your visibilty in front of you limited...(for example: if you put a piece of WHITE paper on your dash board you will see its reflection on your windshield)

Therefore, all you see is white in front of you and nothing else...That is why black and dark colors is usually the color for dashboards...These colors absorbs light rather than reflect it...

well sooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! geez... big no no? okay mister expert of all lexuses...

when i first got the car back after the interior was done...yes..i admit i was blinded and all i saw was a white dashboard....but then after awhile you get used to it and you don't pay attention much to it...and i can see the road perfectly clear without that white glare on my window. ..kinda like colored contacts...when you first put them on... you see a fuzzy haze...then after awhile it disappears... and voila...little things like that are ignored.

i never said to get white interior.. i never even said it was the best color for a dashboard......i jes think it's nice..that's all..gosh...don't gotta be all "that's a big NO NO" to me...sheeshness.... dun gotta go and hurt a lil girl's feelings...

plus... white matches my exterior paint job.... platinum metallic with white interior...so you gain some..and you lose some... as i see it...black interior is everywhere... you don't see that many white interiors ..especially leather..and also in an SC...

furthermore,my question was a rhetorical question...i'm not trying to be mean..jes gettin my 2cents through.

Last edited by OoLiLMaRyoO; 05-02-03 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Conversion to black interior