SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Conversion to black interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 01:37 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't take it personal,
I'm sure he just means to warn people about the glare problem when considering white on their dashboard.
I think it looks really nice, but I'd never use white, cause it would be a nightmare trying to keep it clean!

Ken
Old 05-02-03, 01:40 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Hey OoLiLMaRyoO
How was the chrome treatment done?
very curious on tha; was it a paint? chrome dip, or aftermarket piece???

Also where did you get the emblem for the steering wheel!?!?!?!
I want that!!

Thanks
Ken
Old 05-02-03, 01:51 AM
OoLiLMaRyoO
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by kmn5
Don't take it personal,
I'm sure he just means to warn people about the glare problem when considering white on their dashboard.
I think it looks really nice, but I'd never use white, cause it would be a nightmare trying to keep it clean!

Ken
yes it is a hassle to keep the interior clean... hehe... but all in all.. i like the end results..

i'm not taking it personal..i just think if he was to warn people about the glare problem..he didn't have to make assumptions that gettin a white interior done is a big "no no" as he puts it...

Originally posted by kmn5
Hey OoLiLMaRyoO
How was the chrome treatment done?
very curious on tha; was it a paint? chrome dip, or aftermarket piece???

Also where did you get the emblem for the steering wheel!?!?!?!
I want that!!

Thanks
Ken
chrome treatment? you mean the trim where the wood trim is suppose to be? hehe it's a DIY project... PM for more details

the emblem was taken off my other lexus when i had it repainted...switched the chrome pieces to gold because i changed the paint job to pearly white ..heheh...jes superglued it on..and it stays.. another DIY project... heheh
Old 05-02-03, 02:06 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Hi OoLiLMaRyoO

you have a PM

also do you have any close up hi res pics of the interior?

thanks
Ken
Old 05-02-03, 06:46 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well sooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! geez... big no no? okay mister expert of all lexuses...
In no way, was I trying to offend you...Like kmn5 said, I'm just trying to inform people in about the side effects of doing their interior all WHITE...What I have posted prior to this was all facts and none of it was my opinion that was pointed towards you personally...

Here is my first opinion through this whole thread: This is ClubLexus, a place of class, honestly and respect...I hope it reminds that way...
Old 05-05-03, 04:16 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Do they really sell MolecuBond at Pepboys? and Walmart?
I've looked but haven't seen it at either .........

thanks
Ken
Old 05-05-03, 05:47 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Driving with a white dash board and interior is very blinding in daylight..So that is a big NO NO!
I think gluing a chrome emblem in front of the airbag is an even bigger no no. Can you say 250mph projectile device in the face?! If the semi that hit you doesn't kill you dead, surely this plastic bullet will! Just a heads up folks! BTW, white dash isn't that bad. Take any pair of anti-glare sunglasses and all that reflection will go away from your view I get that same glare on my brown dash because I Armor-all it, and my Oakleys make all that bright glare go away

I'm still hesitant to use the Molecubond on the seats. A shifter **** and dash is one thing because it's hard and stiff, but seats are cushioned and the leather surface is always bending and flexing. I really hope this is a miracle solution though. I'd like to see some applications on other SCs before I commit. I'm thinking I'll just paint all the brown pieces black and replace the light tan interior with Katzkins gear...
Old 05-05-03, 08:50 PM
808SC300
Pole Position

I think the white interior is different. It's not a bad thing, just not your everyday run of the mill SC. Not everyone's cup of tea but hey give her some credit for the effort and idea. If we all thought the same then modding cars wouldn't be as fun as it is, and nobody would have something for others to be envious of. But I do agree on the emblem on the steering wheel, as cool as it looks it's still a safety concern. Now everyone get along like good little Lexus owners =)
Old 05-07-03, 12:46 AM
LexFather

You will notice all BMWs come with black steering wheels and many sports cars. It is to reduce glare. That white interior is sweet, I am sure it is for show only.
Old 05-25-03, 02:55 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phew... i forgot all about this thread and have been gone for the last week and a half

the film is removeable if you do a scraping action on the painted area. it comes off kind of easily on smooth hard plastics but really requires some work remove it from leather and vinyl. i had an easier time scraping parts of it off the leather with my fingernail than with a small flathead screwdriver. On leather and vinyl, the spray stayed on even when it was rubbed... very very hard.

the leather on the shifter is still entirely black, none rubbed off. I really tried to rub parts of it off but it stubbornly stayed on. The shift boot was not as lucky (plastic piece underneath the grip portion of the shifter), it has a few lines where the piece of plastic rubbed with the shift bezel.

overall i still might convert brown to black but might use a traditional spraypaint on the hard plastic materials.
Old 05-25-03, 07:10 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hellasboy, do u knwo if that stuff comes in a gray? I need to do my shifter and a few other parts. Thanks