SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Conversion to black interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 10:06 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Conversion to black interior

Today I visited Alex (aka 2Lexos) and saw his GS which used to have tan interior. He didn't finish yet, but so far the doors look amazing. I'm thinking about converting my tan interior to black interior ala Supra style.
Attached Thumbnails Conversion to black interior-supra-5.jpg  
Old 09-30-02, 10:11 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Conversion to black interior

I am planning painting almost all the parts black. The only parts left tan will be the carpet and the seats. I think tan doesn't look too executive/luxurious. What do you guys think?

This is my current interior:

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 09-30-02 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 10:15 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be different. I can photoshop it and see what it would look like. I dont know if it will come out very good but I can try. I think I wanna try this too. I like the tan seat but black int would look nice I think.
Old 09-30-02, 10:16 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I think that would be a great project to get into! Try to get someone to photochop your interior. Ive never been a fan of all tan cars, but when you add some black, it makes a real nice contrast.
Old 09-30-02, 10:18 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Whos car is the w/ the three spoke and the LCD... interior looks nice.
Old 09-30-02, 10:19 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Chris -
Hope things are well, I will be in town for a couple days in November for the holidays. Maybe a CL meet is in order ( but the sc probably won't be with me then )? You can see my riced accord

I am going to dye my carpet black, and wrap a lot of the interior panels in black leather over the winter. The main reason is the carpet shows every little mark and at 9 years old, it has a couple stains that don't quite come out with that super stain remover. I plan to cover the top dash too but that is in the way future. Also the seats will come out, but I like the tan there. I think a nice blend of black and tan (bass and guiness) on the inside has a lot of potential. I would be careful painting things though. It is a Lexus.
Old 09-30-02, 10:22 PM
DIrEctQL

This is a photo of a SC with a black interior stolen from Jeff's (SC300TURBO) website:
Attached Thumbnails Conversion to black interior-dsc000516-copy.jpg  
Old 09-30-02, 10:24 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Phoenix88
Whos car is the w/ the three spoke and the LCD... interior looks nice.
That's Jeff's (SC300TURBO) car.
Old 09-30-02, 10:33 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by awj
Chris -
Hope things are well, I will be in town for a couple days in November for the holidays. Maybe a CL meet is in order ( but the sc probably won't be with me then )? You can see my riced accord

I am going to dye my carpet black, and wrap a lot of the interior panels in black leather over the winter. The main reason is the carpet shows every little mark and at 9 years old, it has a couple stains that don't quite come out with that super stain remover. I plan to cover the top dash too but that is in the way future. Also the seats will come out, but I like the tan there. I think a nice blend of black and tan (bass and guiness) on the inside has a lot of potential. I would be careful painting things though. It is a Lexus.
Hey,

I don't know about a car meet, but some Chicago Club Lexus members (usually Adam, Alex, and myself) go hang out around Chicago all the time. If we can't have the meet we'll hang out around downtown Chicago.

I know painting could be a big mistake so I am just thinking about it. So far Alex's GS looks real good. I am amazed with the quality of the job he did. He even replaced some carpeting on the lower portion of the door and it looks very classy. He said he'll help me, so I am all for it. My next project is to replace the Rockford Fostgate sub with a Pioneer free-air sub and hide the amp into the spare-tire hole. After this I will be thinking about painting my interior.

Chris
Old 09-30-02, 10:46 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Heres what I came up with just now. It gives a little idea of what it would look like with the supra style interior.
Attached Thumbnails Conversion to black interior-black-int.jpg  
Old 09-30-02, 10:57 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by jimmit
Heres what I came up with just now. It gives a little idea of what it would look like with the supra style interior.
Looks good, except the tan color is .... dead looking, perhaps raising the contrast on the seats and the carpeting. Hmmm!
Old 09-30-02, 11:06 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

No problem. I didnt even pay attention to the seats and carpet. Glad you mentioned it. This looks much more like the supra style interior now.
Attached Thumbnails Conversion to black interior-black-int-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-02, 11:30 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

what kind of paint do i need to change the color of the vinyl (dashboard, door window trims)? will it work on my steering wheel as well? can i pick this up at napa or something? and where can i get good leather dye (for the arm rests)? i saw a picture of someone that had a tan interior and changed this dash/arm rests/wheel to black and it looked damn nice (gj to whoever it was, i think jeff?) and was hoping to do it myself. any idea what it would cost to get these parts? im assuming not too much, in which case i might get it professionally done, or i may do it on my own if its easy enough.
Old 09-30-02, 11:35 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Do not paint the dash board or anything with leather. That is leather not vinyl. Bad idea. You can paint plastic items with a acrylic base paint, but it usually does not last. I have seen people use polyblend paints on vinyl but don't do it. The best method is to use a vinyl or leather material to cover these items. I highly suggest not using paint. But to each his own. There may be some dyes available - I don't know. I do know there are dyes for carpet.
Old 10-01-02, 12:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by awj
Do not paint the dash board or anything with leather. That is leather not vinyl. Bad idea. You can paint plastic items with a acrylic base paint, but it usually does not last. I have seen people use polyblend paints on vinyl but don't do it. The best method is to use a vinyl or leather material to cover these items. I highly suggest not using paint. But to each his own. There may be some dyes available - I don't know. I do know there are dyes for carpet.

I was gonna say, I've seen a lot of repainted interiors and the paint is always chipping on them. It looks pretty nasty and the paint is often flat-lustered.

Quick Reply: Conversion to black interior