SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do I part it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 09:46 AM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJoe239
dont do it just yet, my friend will be in the market for one soon (2-3 months) and thats a good price. however we are in florida so i doubt it would be worth saving 6-7 hundred to go up there and get it. but you never know. he is hell bent on getting one so yeah.
I was hell bent at one point too haha. To some degree I still am. I love my car and I really dont wanna get rid of it. I'm just hoping I can see it go to a good home. Parting it is not something I would enjoy...

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Hey I've seen your Sc on craigslist. I actually like the color, cars needing bodywork are definitely tougher to sell.

You have any clue who is flagging you? maybe the guy that has been trying to sell his Sc with 300k miles for 5k? lol
haha thanks! I am not totally sure, but there was a few people who really low balled me, offering like 2000 or 2200. I respectfully told them that I couldnt sell it that low. One guy pushed really hard, saying that that's all he had, needs a car to get to work, blah blah blah. So I just ignored him. Guess he got kinda mad...

but yeah the guy with the 300k mile car for 5 grand, I saw that ad and lol'd
Old 10-06-11, 02:22 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always try doing a ebay classified ad too (not an auction). You get a certain about free every year if you have an ebay account.
Old 10-06-11, 02:27 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the time and patience, just part it out. It's worth a lot more in pieces. When each fender is $100-150, doors are $250+, tail lights, head lights, seats, steering wheel, radio, amp, speakers, seat belts, door panels, suspension parts, engine parts, sensors, etc. You could probably get $3,000 or more if you sold parts.
Old 10-06-11, 03:38 PM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V8drummer
You could always try doing a ebay classified ad too (not an auction). You get a certain about free every year if you have an ebay account.
Wow I didn't even know those existed. I'll have to check that out, thanks! Craigslist can be more frustrating than it's worth sometimes, only good thing is its free.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
If you have the time and patience, just part it out. It's worth a lot more in pieces. When each fender is $100-150, doors are $250+, tail lights, head lights, seats, steering wheel, radio, amp, speakers, seat belts, door panels, suspension parts, engine parts, sensors, etc. You could probably get $3,000 or more if you sold parts.
I've always heard that parting gives you more money. It really comes down to time and space (as with most things with cars).

I'll try posting it on CL tomorrow. If I can't get some real people interested in buying it in the next month or two, I may have to attempt to sell it in bits. I was really hoping to wouldn't come to that, but...

As for the color, I personally don't mind silver spruce. I've just had two people already tell me that they didn't like the color and they'd keep looking. Someone's bound to like it eventually, we'll just have to see.
Old 10-06-11, 04:28 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

your price is very fair, and i love the colour of it. as said, the thing thats really going against you here is your location. and +1 for you most likely getting more for parting it out, if you have the patience, i also feel the economy is playing a role in this, and if people who know how much a sc is to maintain i don't think they would want to buy one the way were headed...
Old 10-06-11, 04:42 PM
JJ823
Driver

Originally Posted by SandaraSC4
Wow I didn't even know those existed. I'll have to check that out, thanks! Craigslist can be more frustrating than it's worth sometimes, only good thing is its free.

I've always heard that parting gives you more money. It really comes down to time and space (as with most things with cars).

I'll try posting it on CL tomorrow. If I can't get some real people interested in buying it in the next month or two, I may have to attempt to sell it in bits. I was really hoping to wouldn't come to that, but...

As for the color, I personally don't mind silver spruce. I've just had two people already tell me that they didn't like the color and they'd keep looking. Someone's bound to like it eventually, we'll just have to see.

I hope you sell it but if you end up parting I'd like to buy driver and passenger side door panels and headlights if they are in good condition. What color is the interior?
Old 10-06-11, 04:43 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I agree with the majority of the folks here. I just bought a red SC3 with some dings for $5k. It was just in really good shape and I've always enjoyed these cars.

But I bought it from Ebay for a specific reason- they have the vehicle buyer protection and I have an ability to see past transactions. It didn't matter that the car was in NJ and I was in GA- I could look at the total picture; besides, they haven't yet made a movie about people being killed buying things off Ebay. And the daily news isn't full of people who show up to buy a Ebay car and get a gun stuck in their face.

I just think you have the potential to reach a greater audience on Ebay. I wouldn't part it out, either. From what you've described and the picture you posted, it looks like a solid car. No crazy bodykits (not saying anything here guys, but some folks don't like aftermarket) or some strange paint color from a Pink Floyd flashback. What you have appears to be reliable transportation in need of a little TLC; I've been following the thread about new members, and have seen a lot of posters talking about buying a car in need of help. You have what looks like a good car with the potential of greatness- and you would hate yourself forever if you had to cannibalize your baby.

Parts cars should be reserved for those unfortunate souls with no hope of redemption (forgive me here, sometimes my English degree gets the best of me.)

Best of luck, and I wish you the best of Kar-ma.

Last edited by brerrabbit; 10-06-11 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Grrr...
Old 10-06-11, 04:56 PM
cranialexp
Driver School Candidate

Default part it!

I recently parted out my 96 and it was a very interest and kind of fun process, also not only will u save money u will come out with more money than u would have just selling it fixed
Old 10-06-11, 04:56 PM
cranialexp
Driver School Candidate

if you have the time, tools and know how it is 100% worth it
Old 10-07-11, 10:57 AM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Hey, I agree with the majority of the folks here. I just bought a red SC3 with some dings for $5k. It was just in really good shape and I've always enjoyed these cars.

But I bought it from Ebay for a specific reason- they have the vehicle buyer protection and I have an ability to see past transactions. It didn't matter that the car was in NJ and I was in GA- I could look at the total picture; besides, they haven't yet made a movie about people being killed buying things off Ebay. And the daily news isn't full of people who show up to buy a Ebay car and get a gun stuck in their face.

I just think you have the potential to reach a greater audience on Ebay. I wouldn't part it out, either. From what you've described and the picture you posted, it looks like a solid car. No crazy bodykits (not saying anything here guys, but some folks don't like aftermarket) or some strange paint color from a Pink Floyd flashback. What you have appears to be reliable transportation in need of a little TLC; I've been following the thread about new members, and have seen a lot of posters talking about buying a car in need of help. You have what looks like a good car with the potential of greatness- and you would hate yourself forever if you had to cannibalize your baby.

Parts cars should be reserved for those unfortunate souls with no hope of redemption (forgive me here, sometimes my English degree gets the best of me.)

Best of luck, and I wish you the best of Kar-ma.
I agree with this 100%, couldn't have said it better myself. The car is in need of some TLC so I wasn't really sure how to price it, I sorta pulled 2800 out of nowhere and it seems to have got me some decent hits (just no real commitment). I originally had it at 3900 because I bought it for 3500 and fixed a couple things so I attempted to get it back. Didn't work, unsurprisingly. I may also consider going the ebay or autotrader route should craigslist become too problematic.

Main issue with the car is, I'm in college and will soon be transferring elsewhere. The car is basically taking up space outside my parents house which isn't making them happy. I ended up buying an Integra for "dailying" because it was cheaper to run and maintain. I only make minimum wage at a part time job so I try to invest what I can without being to wasteful with what little money I make. Buying the car in the first place was a bad move, I should have known that owning a Lexus wasn't going to be cheap like my Hondas, but I was sick of being left out in the cold by my more drift-oriented friends when it came to cars. Now I don't care anymore, if thats what they wanna spend their money on, that's cool. I got other stuff to save for, I can always get another SCx00 later. haha

Originally Posted by JJ823
I hope you sell it but if you end up parting I'd like to buy driver and passenger side door panels and headlights if they are in good condition. What color is the interior?
It's grey. Its really clean, no stains or smells and never smoked in. I actually get comments on how clean my car is when someone rides in it haha
Old 10-07-11, 11:15 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Either way, good luck with your car. Worse case, keep it...and slowly build it.
Old 10-07-11, 01:07 PM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Either way, good luck with your car. Worse case, keep it...and slowly build it.
Indeed, that was my plan to begin with. I wouldn't be sad if I had to keep it, haha. Thanks man.
Old 10-12-11, 04:47 PM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

even though I highly doubt anyone has lost any sleep over my little sob story, I did finally end up selling the car for 2800. It took a lot of standing my ground and almost had the guy walk off on me because he wanted it for cheap, but he agreed to pay my asking price (finally).

Sorry JJ823, good luck finding those doors you need!
Old 10-12-11, 05:14 PM
JJ823
Driver

thats alright glad you sold it
Old 10-12-11, 06:08 PM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

I know how it is up here in WA. When I got my car it was sitting on the lot for over a year and a half, and they seemed desperate to get rid of it. Still wasn't cheap though lol.

If I wasn't moving across the country next week I might of bought it since my girlfriend needs a car. Glad you sold it though.

Quick Reply: Do I part it or sell it?