SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do I part it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 10:37 AM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I part it or sell it?

Well I've been trying for almost 4 months to sell my SC400 and it has amounted to almost no legitimate inrterest and continuous flagging from some guy who has it out for me on craigslist. My car has 165,xxx miles and runs really well, but it is in an undesirable color (silver spruce) and has some crappy bodywork from when it was sideswiped in a parkinglot (happened when owned by a previous owner). At this point I am really torn on what to do with it because we have too many cars sitting outside of our house and it really needs to go. Not to mention I am transfering to a different college soon which is 5 hours away.

In the time I have had it for sale, ONE person has come to see it. That person decided not to get it after making me drive all over kingdom come, making me think that she was legitimately interested. She was buying the car for her son, who totaled his tiburon and couldn't bear having a car with a dent, so mommy decided not to buy the car. I have to repost it every day because some guy really hates me and keeps flagging (I even took off my phone number and the tags and I'm still getting flagged). I have it posted in multiple places and still no bites from those ads. I am afraid to even go the autotrader route because at this point I am asking such a low price, I will hardly gain anything if I have to spend money posting an ad each weak or two.

I have been asking well below $3k for this car. I get bites but when I send more pictures upon request, they are always quick to point out the dent and then I don't hear back from them. Even some guy who offered me $2100 turned and ran. It is a clean title and I am the third owner. I am completely stumped on why no one will take it off my hands for even such a low price as 2 grand.

The motor and tranny are solid with no leaks and good maintenence. Do you guys think I'd be better off pulling the motor and tranny, selling that, and just giving the shell to a junk yard? Just trying to get some opinions. I knew this car was going to be harder to sell than my Civics and Integras but this is just ridiculous....

Here is a picture of the dent, just for reference.

Last edited by SandaraSC4; 10-05-11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:44 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i dnt think. there is a market for sc's right now... im selling two of them and not even offeres have been made... its getting to be the slow season for buying so id say dont get desperate and wait it out as long as possible. ur price is kinda low so maybe ur scaring ppl away. they probably think ur trying to hide something. and trust me its not ur car i have 6 lexus cars for sale and those arent sellin either.
Old 10-05-11, 10:49 AM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmh
i dnt think. there is a market for sc's right now... im selling two of them and not even offeres have been made... its getting to be the slow season for buying so id say dont get desperate and wait it out as long as possible. ur price is kinda low so maybe ur scaring ppl away. they probably think ur trying to hide something. and trust me its not ur car i have 6 lexus cars for sale and those arent sellin either.
I guess I could see that. Plus I live in a place which rains all the time, and snows sometimes in the winter so a RWD car is probably not as desirable as your typical subaru. I just hate to let my perfectly good car sit around and not get driven. I try to find little excuses to get it out so that it doesnt just sit, but at the same time I am running out of money to keep the thing maintained and I would hate for something to happen, then I really won't be able to sell it

Glad to hear it though, thanks. All my Hondas almost litterally grew wings and flew away the minute i put them up. Guess I'm not used to this...
Old 10-05-11, 11:10 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

put it in other states but near by to see if u get a hit u can sell it for ur price.
Old 10-05-11, 11:15 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE AREA YOU LIVE down here in Florida you would get that sold much quicker i am in Miami people are buying these everyday .. and i am about to sell my sc400 also and get a 98 300
and its not really about them selling slow people are much quicker to buy a car that's already set up with rims and coil-overs than just a plain sc they have to put money in
Old 10-05-11, 12:01 PM
junkyard03
Driver

sorry for you luck bro. its sux cause i know someone who wants an sc bad but we are in socal and thats quite a drive
Old 10-05-11, 12:11 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the car seems to be in decent shape considering the year, an the color isnt actually bad at all and paint seems to be okay as well. Your price is fair honestly, the only problem here is your location, your way out in the boondocks. those cars dont last too long in decent condition on the east coast
Old 10-05-11, 01:03 PM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by junkyard03
sorry for you luck bro. its sux cause i know someone who wants an sc bad but we are in socal and thats quite a drive
haha yeah. My car is in the mechanical shape of a $4500 car but looks like a $2500 car thanks to being hit. I would guess your friend who's looking for a SC wants a pretty clean one. I'm sure you can find some fresh ones down there in So Cal. I used to live down there and that's when I really fell in love with this platform.

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
Well the car seems to be in decent shape considering the year, an the color isnt actually bad at all and paint seems to be okay as well. Your price is fair honestly, the only problem here is your location, your way out in the boondocks. those cars dont last too long in decent condition on the east coast
That makes sense. The car scene up here is comparatively whack to So Cal, Texas, FL, and the east coast area. Most people don't even know what kinda car it is. I've been asked countless times if it's a "stickshift" . Then when I tell them they only come in auto and you have to convert it, they're like, "Wait, you can do that??"

The dent you can see in the picture is the biggest aftermath from the hit-and-run sideswipe. The paint work is also a bit shoddy and rough, doesn't really match the rest of the car. Plus the mirror on that side is dark green because I believe the person took the mirror clean off as well. It's a shame unfortunately. I wish I could transplant my motor into a cleaner shell because the body simply doesn't do it justice. Looks great from the passenger side until you come around to the driver's side lol. Even then you can get used to it, it's hard to tell from a distance.

Oh well. Hopefully a buyer will come along and the dude who hates me on craigslist will find some friends and go outside. haha

Last edited by SandaraSC4; 10-05-11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 06:19 PM
JJ823
Driver

Mines the same color, love silver spruce. Im surprised its a undesirable color never heard that. I agree with everyone else just post in neighboring states and on ebay. I hate getting flagged. Id ask for more like 3500 obo. good luck with sale.

Last edited by JJ823; 10-05-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 06:38 PM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

dont do it just yet, my friend will be in the market for one soon (2-3 months) and thats a good price. however we are in florida so i doubt it would be worth saving 6-7 hundred to go up there and get it. but you never know. he is hell bent on getting one so yeah.
Old 10-05-11, 07:14 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

if you were on the east coast your car would have been sold. i just sold my 94 sc300 last week. i put it on craigslist last thursday and a guy bought it the very next day. its not so much color or the dent thats keeping it from selling, its the area you live it. try putting it in the classified section on this site if you already havent. you might be able to find a lexus lover in your area thats interested
Old 10-05-11, 07:57 PM
lexfrmtex
Driver

Sometimes you just have to sit on it. When you least expect it, that's when a buyer will come out of no where.
Old 10-05-11, 09:30 PM
SCKmiecik
Rookie

part it! I need a sunroof and a cigarette lighter!!!!!!
Old 10-06-11, 02:00 AM
BillySupra
Driver School Candidate

Yea just sit and wait it out
Old 10-06-11, 02:26 AM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I've seen your Sc on craigslist. I actually like the color, cars needing bodywork are definitely tougher to sell.

You have any clue who is flagging you? maybe the guy that has been trying to sell his Sc with 300k miles for 5k? lol

Quick Reply: Do I part it or sell it?