SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Need To Learn The Ways Of The Force (Induction)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 01:57 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Need To Learn The Ways Of The Force (Induction)

So a while back some of you may remember a thread of mine that turned into a debate about whether or not I had a single turbo on my SC400 because I lost to a TSX. Well I figured out what was wrong and it turns out I need a lot more schooling in the ways of turbo chargers. The problem was that I wad running an oem ct26 from an mkiii that apparently is way to small to run single on a 1UZ, add that together with my poorly fabbed exhaust manifold and you have a recipe for disaster (or extreme lack of power).
Even though most of you think its a crime against humanity, I am almost completely self thought when it comes to cars and for me, the best way to learn is to actually do the work and learn as I go. So needless to say, every car I've ever owned has been a guinea pig for things I want to learn how to do.
So now I'm ready to attempt singling my 1UZ again but this time I'm much more prepared and quite a bit more schooled in the world of turbos, bit I still have a few more questions that need answered before I begin.

First of all, this just popped up on c-list and I wanted to double check with you guys to make sure it's gonna be big enough http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2624062482.html

Also, where is the best place to relocate the fuse box to and whats a good and cheap electric fan to use?
And any other tips and pointers would be really appreciated.
Old 10-06-11, 04:54 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no offense, not trying to hate, or go against your thoughts, just out of curiosity, why do you wanna turbo a uz? because 1jz-gte is ALOT more mod friendly, and will be lighter on your pocket in the end
Old 10-06-11, 06:08 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

not sure how the math works on that, levie... 1jz would cost a guestimate of $2500, presuming a diy, and it ends up with a pretty much stock 1jz; bull**** for the number of hours, and money invested.
otoh, most people would be happy with the 400hp range, doable on a healthy, early uz like matt and I have. $2500 for FI on a 1uz will be a much better gain, dollar for hp.
Old 10-06-11, 06:24 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Iv spent well over 10k properly boosting my 1uzfe and this will just peak the 400hp mark

1uzfe's can be a very potent power plant, But not for some one on a budget. If you are prepaired to really shell out some cash then awesome. If not, go with a 1jzg or a 2jz (i mean the turbo set up, I know all sc3's are 2j's)
Old 10-06-11, 06:43 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Iv spent well over 10k properly boosting my 1uzfe and this will just peak the 400hp mark

1uzfe's can be a very potent power plant, But not for some one on a budget. If you are prepaired to really shell out some cash then awesome. If not, go with a 1jzg or a 2jz (i mean the turbo set up, I know all sc3's are 2j's)
That's really expensive. You can do a 2jz-gte v160 swap for as much or less. Make that amount of power on stock turbos. Still have room for growth in the future.
Old 10-06-11, 06:45 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by levie
no offense, not trying to hate, or go against your thoughts, just out of curiosity, why do you wanna turbo a uz? because 1jz-gte is ALOT more mod friendly, and will be lighter on your pocket in the end
To be honest, I absolutely love the JZ but that's what everyone and their mother does.. I enjoy things a lot more when they're unique and uncommon, which is why I bought and SC in the first place.
I've been thinking about buying an SC300 also and doing a 2JZ-GTE swap in it so I can have the best of both worlds, but for now I'm gonna focus on building my V8 into a monster.
Old 10-06-11, 07:02 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle

I didn't mean to make it sound like $2500 and BOOM! instant double of hp. my apologies if that's how it came out.
What I meant is the early 1uz can take 400hp, and not implode, as well as that cash will net more hp than a full swap.
You mind if we discuss some of the details that it took to make that 400hp via pm?
Old 10-06-11, 07:45 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Well, good luck. I shall be watching, young padawan!
Old 10-06-11, 08:00 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I didn't mean to make it sound like $2500 and BOOM! instant double of hp. my apologies if that's how it came out.
What I meant is the early 1uz can take 400hp, and not implode, as well as that cash will net more hp than a full swap.
You mind if we discuss some of the details that it took to make that 400hp via pm?
Yeah man, shoot me over a PM, Add me to Facebook whatever. Id be happy to give you my cell as well.

Give you a quick idea of how i came up with my numbers

250hp stock (if in perfect conditions)
manual swap will free up some of the lost drive train power
Im running a full exhaust including headers (full 3.5 inch)
Supercharged with 8lbs
Stock fuel
Stock ECU with SAFC

Next step up once i get comfertable with this set up is:
12lb pulley
Meth injection
Stand Alone
which should make around 450

As I said before, I will BARLEY be reaching 400hp with my current set up. Its the torque im after tho
Old 10-06-11, 08:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
That's really expensive. You can do a 2jz-gte v160 swap for as much or less. Make that amount of power on stock turbos. Still have room for growth in the future.
You sure about that?
Old 10-06-11, 08:09 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the size of your turbo you plan to run. The most important question is how much power you want to make?

This goal will determine the supporting mods you would need such as fuel, electronics, etc... The turbo is only one small part of this balanced system.

Once you figure out your goal, we can give you better advise in choosing parts.
Old 10-06-11, 08:50 PM
Matador
Racer

Sounds like a little bit more research would have been helpful. The ct26 is def a little small for what you're probably wanting. If you're on a budget pick up an ebay turbo. It wont be the bees knees of turbos, but should work well enough and last long enough to have some fun.

EDIT: just looked at your link, that looks fine
Old 10-06-11, 10:08 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

A 61mm turbo with a .68 hot side is to small for a 4L. engine. I would start with a .81 hot side you don,t want to choke the exhaust off as the rpm,s climb.
Old 10-06-11, 10:19 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill be at about 3500 when im done with mine...that single turbo and r154 fyi! Ill check the specs on my turbo. It ran about 400rwhp at like 8 or 12 psi before the rebuild IIRC.

Last edited by xxtoobsxx; 10-06-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:19 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You sure about that?
2jz-gte 6 speed motor sets go for around 6000.
Differential by themselves go from 300-500 up to 1500 for a full rear subframe.
2500 remaining for the loose ends. intercooler, exhaust, boost controller, fuel pump. It's doable.

Quick Reply: I Need To Learn The Ways Of The Force (Induction)